yI0r9Pw1CB4

Coming out on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe, we have BRINK, which looks to be the most interesting shooter so far this year. Following on from Splash Damage's earlier games: Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Quake Wars Enemy Territory, with a Mirror's Edge style Parkour system.

Think Battlefield meets Team Fortress 2 on a smaller scale. I am very psyched for this.

I know a few people who are incredibly psyched for this, but i haven't decided if i want to get on board myself. Love Splash Damage's earlier games though, and it does look very, very promising.

Ordered it on the cheap from some place. Interested to see how the game turned out. :D I'm personally most excited about the freedom of movement it potentially offers!

The UI and presentation does look sleek, but the game itself looks tres ordinaire. Peope are on about parkour, but all I've seen is some sliding on the floor… I'll wait and see what you all think, but if Thumbs matches end up beeing arranged, I'm buying it.

The thing that has me on edge about the game was reading that basically all of the in-game goals equate to standing around on a spot while a progress bar ticks down, regardless of your class or the nature of the objective. There are more interesting ways to do objective-oriented MP, you know?

I hope i'm wrong though, i hope the game is great.

The UI and presentation does look sleek, but the game itself looks tres ordinaire. Peope are on about parkour, but all I've seen is some sliding on the floor… I'll wait and see what you all think, but if Thumbs matches end up beeing arranged, I'm buying it.

This looks like a decent take on parkour, even if it seems a bit clumsy:

Q21y36x4dsc

Of course, not quite like in this trailer:

NgjHO1lEsIs

I might also buy this if people say it's good, but more likely not as I don't really play multiplayer shooters. Is there any single player component?

This looks like a decent take on parkour, even if it seems a bit clumsy: [YOUTUBE]Q21y36x4dsc[YOUTUBE]

Of course, not quite like in this trailer: [YOUTUBE]NgjHO1lEsIs[YOUTUBE]

I might also buy this if people say it's good, but more likely not as I don't really play multiplayer shooters. Is there any single player component?

Only in the sense that everyone else is controlled by AI, instead of real people.

Despite how utterly amazing that trailer is, the thing that always strikes me most is the big guy in the tank top with the black bandanna, who just shoots a guy off-screen, drops the gun and pulls out another one.

None of that trailer is completely true in any respect (melee is limited to gun stocks for example) but that part just strikes me as really cool.

That said, I hope the game is half as good as that trailer, and gets the community it deserves. (Which means, if it's shit, everyone just goes back to TF2. Which works for me.)

As for SP component: Bot-match campaign with small story clips, exactly like MP.

Fiiiinally, that first video is from an early build, if I don't miss my guess. So it's probably considerably smoother now.

Like a lot of thumbs, I'm on the fence. If i see enough people playing this then i will probably take the plunge.

Coming out on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe, we have BRINK, which looks to be the most interesting shooter so far this year.

I have to disagree on that.

I already played a more interesting "shooter" this year and two more interesting ones are coming later this year, that's just me and my opinion though.

But anyways for me this would give nothing. I'm not interested anymore in all-in multiplayer games, with the exception of Quake Live.

No doubt Splash Damage is talented, I put countless hours in playing Wolf:ET, which was one of the best MP games I played. That was a sweet game and I'm still surprised that Activision gave that out for free, would never happen in today's market where Kotick is ruling with an iron fist.

So this supposedly goes live in about 6 hours. They'll have some various discussion of the competitive possibilities of BRINK from people who have played Splash Damages previous games in a competitive setting. And at some point (presumably at 12PM EST) they'll have some pub matches commentated.

Probably your best chance to see BRINK at the moment, and later on (in a couple weeks) they'll be casting the start of the BRINK competitive scene, which should be nice. QW:ET and W:ET played seriously are. . .something to see.

I'll also note that I've seen several Thumbs on my Steam friends purchase BRINK in the last couple days. We should get together and pub-stomp (read: get our asses kicked) a server.

Is anyone here not buying it on PC then?

Is anyone here not buying it on PC then?

I did. I noticed a few other thumbs players playing last night, but I had no idea how to join their games. The ui is really confusing and i still dont know what the hell im doing.

I've spent a few hours playing it today, and it's been pretty fun so far.

It seems they've failed with the whole seamless blend of SP, Co-op and MP. When I first heard it described, they positioned it like training wheels for people who don't like multiplayer shooters. You play a little against bots, when that gets boring you play co-op and then you upgrade to playing against people. While that was the route I took, I think the bot AI is pretty terrible and unfun, and could actually turn away more people than it encourages.

The weapon choice is kinda weird as well. There's a big focus on automatic weapons, but only 1 shotgun, 1 grenade launcher and 2 'sniper' rifles. On top of that, a lot of the automatic guns have obvious best choices, so it's not even a set of guns with different feels. It's really disappointing, especially since I think the Assault Rifle has become the one gun in every shooter and it's started to become really boring.

The SMART system feels really great. It's my favorite part of the whole game. I've even started using a light character to be able to do more of it. I wish they had added in more Parkour challenge maps.

I've come to the conclusion that the bots are prescient cheating fucks. You go within 5 feet of an objective? The entire bot team shows up. Stick your head out of a corner? Every bot in the room fucks your skull with high-velocity lead.

Assholes, the lot of 'em.

That said, I'm really enjoying the PvP MP. Defense seems to have a much easier time if Offense is disorganized, but it's still fun.

I've heard Jeff mention that 'bots running up to objectives while you're capping' issue 3 times and I haven't experienced it. I'm pretty sure that in the quick look the bot is actually helping him cap, because that's a thing you can do.

I've had blast with the Brink I've played since last post. A few rounds were won, because of desperation sprints with my light operative to drop off the flag. The caltrop grenade and hacking turrets are really fun strategic abilities. The experience is much different than my jack of all trades medium build guy, and I can see a heavy unit being even more different.

I will admit that I wondered into a friendly fire on server and it was the worst thing ever. Huge guys with miniguns would just mow down, heal and then mow down their teammates again. The slide move knocks down allies as well, so every time I tried to do a time sensitive operative thing, I was interrupted by some chucklehead.

I'm so glad to hear that people are having fun with it. The game has been properly savaged by 1up and Joystiq, with Arstechnica refusing to review it until the bugs are sorted. I've had it pre-ordered for ages (on PC) and read some of the reviews with mounting trepidation. I'm going to punt for it anyway, mainly because it's only the second full price PC game I've bought in about a year plus it's only 20 quid.

The 360 version of the game seems to be broken from everything I have heard about it; the PC version is with ATI cards particularly the 4800 series, which is fixable.

The Shackers who are playing a lot seem to be having a blast, as are other Steam Friends 67.5 hrs in just over a day between 11 people. It's becoming increasingly obvious that game reviewers are fucking awful at games, if an FPS has a learning curve and isn't CoD then it is crap. Their reviews haven't convinced me to cancel my pre-order.

Has any reviewer even played the PC version? Because all reviews I've managed to find were of the supposedly broken 360 version... And why would you show me a bot match? That's like the most boring thing on the planet.

I haven't cancelled either. I'm going to see it through. I agree about the bot match thing - people have just played against the bots - and those who played UT/Quake - bot matches were fairly tedious, but the online game was like crack. For months.

If I like it, I will be renting a server. Hold tight.

I generally love these kinds of non-quakelike multiplayer-focused shooters. I'll probably buy it as long as I'm confident enough that it will run smoothly my PC which is getting a little old in the tooth.

What really annoys me is that publishers still don't seem to know how to market these things properly even after numerous disasters. They still base their marketing on shit like fake single-player campaigns, plots and characters but never communicate the real reasons why it should be OK to charge full price for a multiplayer-only game (that all the effort has been concentrated on a deeper, more polished game). They keep releasing games with what appears to be a small number of maps but never make any effort to demonstrate how carefully designed they are (which they should be).

It's still all about tricking people into believing there's a regular single-player campaign.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but damn, I was super excited about the idea until I saw gameplay footage. In my head, it was going to be Mirror's Edge mixed with TF2 and Quake. It just looks way too slow-paced for what I wanted. Class size doesnt seem to affect movement speed very much, and characters look like Gears Of War bros trying to do gymnatics.

Maybe actually playing it isn't too bad, but I still feel calling it anywhere close to Quake in terms of multiplayer gameplay is a bit of an exaggeration.