ThunderPeel2001

Bitchy thread tags

Hi everyone, I'm going to go out on a limb here and bring up the current trend of leaving bitchy thread tags. Tags started off as fun way of labelling a thread, but lately it seems they've become a way for people to leave snide remarks about a poster and not have to take responsibility for them.

For example; Just recently there was a minor conflagration between myself and Sno in the "Valve re-play" thread, and someone saw fit to post a Doraleous and Associates reference: "What do you see?" "I see a bitch."

Whether it was aimed at me or Sno, it's still really lame and wasn't going to help anything. There's been other examples in recent months, too, and I'm wondering how people feel about this?

It seems to me to be nothing more than a cowardly way to insult people, which may be how you could describe the internet itself, but I don't think it's very cool here on the Thumbs. Maybe it's time we reviewed them?

(I await the inevitable tag responses.)

:yep:

I struggle to see the value of tags, especially considering the misuse they have fallen into now.

I said the same thing when Tanu was getting all his threads tagged. It might not be malicious, but the anonymity increases the amount of perceived assholeness by a factor of a hundred. I'd link the greater dickwad theory thing if everyone hadn't seen it million times. Anyway, if you could see who tagged what and enforced a little accountability I'd wager they'd be less ambiguously harsh overall.

You can tag threads?

Edit: Oh, I see...

So... What's really the use of this?

You can tag threads?

Edit: Oh, I see...

So... What's really the use of this?

If i'm not mistaken, the idea is to find other related threads and help when searching. I don't think anyone has ever found them genuinely useful though.

90% of the time I forget they're even there, unless someone mentions them.

90% of the time I forget they're even there, unless someone mentions them.

What happens then? Does the ratio go up or down? I'm guessing up?

I have expressed my true feelings for this community in the tags and probably don't mean it.

Considering how the search engine functions, I don't see the need for them, especially as they've become petty bickering-tools.

Tags serve as a side or back-channel way of meta-discussion (I fully expect to see my name in a tag about this now), usually a snarky channel, and take discussion out of the very thread itself. They're limited to 25 charas so it's not like you can even have much of a discussion in the tags.

I suppose, really, I'm conflicted. I'd prefer to see them stick around because of the opportunity for humour in them, but I'd also prefer to see them used in an adult manner (and I don't mean XXX). Ideally we'd not have to devolve into sniping in the tags because threads wouldn't need to be sniped about. Perhaps if you have a problem with a posters behaviour, instead of sniping in the tags, you could send them a PM* to discuss it?

Full disclosure: I've applied childish tags to a thread in the past ("aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" was my expression of frustration at the Sony thread).

* not a Prime Minister.

Honestly I stopped reading tags after the ubiquity of "toblix complains" died down. But yeah, I have no idea who's doing it.

I always figured tags were there for comedy or usefulness, not really to be insulting or mean towards other members, so it's a shame if someone is truthfully using them that way. So now I'm sitting here wondering if "pretentious movie buffs" in the movie recommendations thread was done in anger and then "pretentious thread tags" is a snarky reply? Maybe it was done by the same person? Maybe it was a joke all along. Oh well, I guess it is hard to tell because you don't know who is writing it and you sort of get what a poster's general tone is the more you see them around.

Also I remember thinking moderators could see who was adding what thread tag early on, but I guess not?

I don't pay attention to tags, but I'm always apprehensive of this sort of humour. It does add a layer of perceived assholery, and we are better than that: we dare to be assholes up front and in your face.

IMHO, as these forums are not very actively moderated, it's better to remove the tags than to start moderating them in some way. Personally, I'm like Dan and never notice them unless someone points them out.

. Personally, I'm like Dan and never notice them unless someone points them out.

And you can't do math?

And you can't do math?

I can! Unless it goes over 100.

I use them all the time :blink:

I probably account for 90% of the tags on here

As far as this forum is concerned - since only a few actually bother tagging properly, if at all - its usefulness is lessened, but you could potentially discover old threads that are worth a read via tagging that you'd otherwise miss, and they are good at grouping stuff together that would otherwise be separated in a search. Obviously the sniping in the tags of late has gotten out of hand though I agree.

I fully expect to see my name in a tag about this now

THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED YET. WHAT THE HEY? OK THANKS GUYS

Edited by subbes

I have left my fair share of snide remarks that were probably intended more often in good humor than not. Personally, I think they can be a funny tangential commentary of sorts.

Should I even dare speak my voice? I guess I have too...

I have no idea why the "trolls" thinks I'm a drama queen (or they are just calling me a drama queen because they are button pushers). One of the biggest problems with the internet is that you aren't reading this is the same voice I'm writing it...

Am I crying and about to slit my wrists? I'm laughing at your stupidity? Am I being sarcastic? Am I angry? You can not tell, but the trolls seem to be convinced that every post I make is some sort of troll bait for them or I cry for help, I dunno...

The thing is, ever since the drama tag abuse has started the forums has been... more agitated? Or at least, that's what some people think.

It seems any thread that isn't about video games and is about something more abstract and has actual discussion in them are the problem, some people seem to think discussion equals drama, we are talking about eastern or western philosophies in game aesthetics, the trolls see a weeabo fanboy who want to convince everybody that Japan is superior, we speak about hackers and Sony, the trolls see a Sony fanboy...

Some of you say you're just being snarky, but you do realize that the internet doesn't translate that well and it makes it look like you're an ass?

I don't want to think anymore, the tags don't even make any sense anymore...

If you're trying to be funny, you've failed...

Tags = Turmoil, the only person laughing is you.

And don't worry Thunder, now that I actually entered the "ring" the stupid tags will start...:shifty:

No, Tanu does not get it, Tanu does not want to get it, Tanu does not care, Tanu think you should stop acting like a toddler, Tanu knows you'll say something that only you will think is witty, people will think there is drama and therefore there IS drama...

Seriously guys, people are starting to worry and they don't think the whole tag thing is a joke, either make better jokes, or stop it!

I don't know if I've repeated myself... who cares? Most of you will just skim this and make up what ever you want of this thread and of what I've said.:tup:

Er... this thread was about the tags, not specifically about you, Tanu. If you'd like, I can start a thread specifically about you?

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I misjudged the situation.

Edited by JamesM

I know it's not about me, I never said it was about me, what did I just say about people saying whatever they damn want?:tup:

But I am the target of most of the "bitchy tags", for the same reason you just proved, people will read what ever they damn want...

It's a case of: I say "I like cats", you read "I hate dogs!"

Damn, this thread now has the maximum number of tags and I can't tag it any more.

Should I even dare speak my voice? I guess I have too...

I have no idea why the "trolls" thinks I'm a drama queen (or they are just calling me a drama queen because they are button pushers). One of the biggest problems with the internet is that you aren't reading this is the same voice I'm writing it...

Am I crying and about to slit my wrists? I'm laughing at your stupidity? Am I being sarcastic? Am I angry? You can not tell, but the trolls seem to be convinced that every post I make is some sort of troll bait for them or I cry for help, I dunno...

The thing is, ever since the drama tag abuse has started the forums has been... more agitated? Or at least, that's what some people think.

It seems any thread that isn't about video games and is about something more abstract and has actual discussion in them are the problem, some people seem to think discussion equals drama, we are talking about eastern or western philosophies in game aesthetics, the trolls see a weeabo fanboy who want to convince everybody that Japan is superior, we speak about hackers and Sony, the trolls see a Sony fanboy...

Some of you say you're just being snarky, but you do realize that the internet doesn't translate that well and it makes it look like you're an ass?

I don't want to think anymore, the tags don't even make any sense anymore...

If you're trying to be funny, you've failed...

Tags = Turmoil, the only person laughing is you.

And don't worry Thunder, now that I actually entered the "ring" the stupid tags will start...:shifty:

No, Tanu does not get it, Tanu does not want to get it, Tanu does not care, Tanu think you should stop acting like a toddler, Tanu knows you'll say something that only you will think is witty, people will think there is drama and therefore there IS drama...

Seriously guys, people are starting to worry and they don't think the whole tag thing is a joke, either make better jokes, or stop it!

I don't know if I've repeated myself... who cares? Most of you will just skim this and make up what ever you want of this thread and of what I've said.:tup:

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE.

I can't take you seriously with the incredible overuse of ellipses, it makes it unclear if you are serious or simply don't understand what the hell you are talking about.

How to use the ellipsis

The ellipsis (...), sometimes called the suspension or omission marks, has three uses:

to show that some material has been omitted from a direct quotation [One of Churchill's most famous speeches declaimed: "We shall shall fight them on the beaches ... We shall never surrender".]

to indicate suspense [The winner is ...]

to show that a sentence has been left unfinished because it has simply trailed off [Watch this space ...]

FUCKING STOP IT.