Thompson

Far Cry 3

Haven't beaten the game yet, but picked it up last week and sat down with a friend and played somewhere around 18 hours straight of it.

Overall I think the game is fun, though obviously flawed. Firstly, the game feels great if you do it stealthily, but unfortunately the mechanics just don't allow you to reliably take enemies down despite taking a good 5 minutes to plan your entry and all of your moves. In fact, the few times I have managed to pull off stealth well I felt like I was breaking the game. Mechanics were suddenly unraveled as the mess that they can be when I can shoot people with a silenced assault rifle and as long as nobody sees (or does see but is standing in excess of 15m away and will thus turn a blind eye) the surrounding enemies just do not care. Surely they heard the sound of my gun? No? Well, the bullets whizzing straight past their heads? How about the noise of small pieces of lead entering a body at high speed and subsequently causing the owner of said body to scream in pain and crumple to the floor? Oh, that's still a no then.

Now that'd be all fine and dandy if the game reflected that these are the games mechanics and this is how you should approach them, but rather it insists that this game can be played stealthily. "Distract your enemies with rocks!" it cries.

"No!" I reply,

"That doesn't work."

Get past that and the game can be quite enjoyable. The wallet crafting debate is understandable, though as far as I could see it was a viable game mechanic, even if it isn't very logical, but I guess it makes sense. "You want the better guns? Put some effort in." Seems to be the case. Exploration is incredibly fun, and it's ridiculously easy to find yourself sidetracked through an underwater cave or gliding through the air to find a suitable bar to play poker in. Hunting is enjoyable, gathering not quite so much. The sidequests are largely varied (more so in hunting) but the main story is quite weak.

I'm always expecting the game to take a turn where it suddenly becomes more self-aware and deviates away from the spiritualist stuff.

"Follow the path..."

"Honour Rakyat tradition..."

"Face your insanity..."

But maybe I'm just hoping for too much from an otherwise decent campaign.

Haven't yet touched any multiplayer features, but look forward to the co-op.

I watched the 'bad ending' on youtube a couple of days ago. What a perfectly stupid ending to a perfectly stupid game.

Despite the mixed and negative response to FC3, you can't really criticise the lighting in the game...

qRMs8.jpg

This was a cross-over i didn't expect. Far Cry 3 resides in the Assassins Creed Universe.

Abstergo:

W7ZAP.jpg

And the Eden stuff about your history is recorded in your genes:

iLWNe.jpg

All Ubisoft games are in the same universe. All people evolved from the dudes from From Dust, Rayman is a popular children's cartoon series and we're playing through the movie releases, and all the crazy shit in Driver San Fransisco was because they accidentally hooked him up to an Animus instead of a heart monitor.

RGXGY.gif

That is like the whole plot of FC3 in an animated gif.

I just realized that I could have played Far Cry 3 with the notifications turned off from the start (I think I got it just around when the patch was released). I didn't realize that's what those options did because they were named in a non-obvious way and didn't have tooltips. Also I didn't want to turn off the tutorials completely at first.

Just started playing it tonight. It's not bad, I'm not really sure I'll finish it but I'm enjoying just running around the island encountering stuff. The game still manages to throw up interesting scenarios.

I just had one mission where I was meant to sneak into this base to plant a bomb. I kind of went the wrong way as the mission wanted me to go to a look out to scope the base out beforehand and in trying to avoid being spotted I bumped into a couple of guards who just pulled in on a boat. I imagined to quickly take them both out but the original I guy spotted me and set off the alarms. I then basically kited them around the base until I was on the complete opposite side of the base. Then out of nowhere a tiger attacks me, I'm nearly dead but manage to climb up onto a rock. At this point the tiger is just staring up at me, trying to get up but can't. So now I'm frantically throwing rocks at 8 or so guards that were originally chasing me to regain their full attention. One by one I lure them up near this ridge I'm on so the tiger can eat them. Pretty sweet. Oh then I killed the tiger and made some stylish ammo holder out of it. Video Games.

@Tundra I'm guessing you're playing on a PC. What setup have you got? Mine is about two years old and I was fairly happy with how my game looked until seeing those shots.

I'm having fun with the wingsuit you get when you go to the second island. It's crazy! Can deploy it mid jump and all you need to do is find a place few meters higher than the surroundings to open it (I guess you have to be a couple of meters off ground). Still haven't figured out when a landing kills me and when it doesn't though. Doesn't seem to be directly related to landing angle.

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out how to land safely without it. But seems to chance-based.

Did anyone else who continued playing after the end start shooting the Rakyat? There are barely any pirates/bandits left, so much of the shooting mechanic is useless... unless you turn against the Rakyat. Which I did. Of course, once I kill one bunch or move away from them, the others will believe that I turned nice again.

That's a great example of the lack of available verbs in most games. You're put in this huge lush virtual world that's utterly boring if you're not shooting everything you see in it. (not a criticism aimed at you, just an interesting connundrum in games).

Did anyone else who continued playing after the end start shooting the Rakyat? There are barely any pirates/bandits left, so much of the shooting mechanic is useless... unless you turn against the Rakyat. Which I did. Of course, once I kill one bunch or move away from them, the others will believe that I turned nice again.

Calling first DLC "Mercenary Fightback"; the game will spawn Enemy NPCs at a taken base a la Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC.

You cant spawn to a base being attacked so you have to fast travel to a close enough base in a set time limit. if you dont get there in time they control the base and you get to take it back. i wonder how easy that is to implement with no new assetts?

@SamMorris12 I have a GTX 680 16GB RAM and a i5 3570K, along with only SSD storage, on a Z77.

That's a great example of the lack of available verbs in most games. You're put in this huge lush virtual world that's utterly boring if you're not shooting everything you see in it. (not a criticism aimed at you, just an interesting connundrum in games).

I'm all for games that don't involve shooting! However, in this game it is one of the main mechanics -- just moving around and collecting relics & fetish items from boxes doesn't really cut it. So now when they gradually remove the uses for the main mechanic and replace it with nothing, I feel bored and I turn into a murderer. Of course, I could also stop playing, because the exploration isn't that fun any more (but flying the wingsuit still is, somewhat). I think this game is at its best when you still haven't discovered most places, and are exploring without knowing what's ahead. Mapless would probably be best. I don't think I'd have much more fun than now if I'd start a new game.

Was checking the map and saw these.

Guess that interview with the Lead Writer (who looks to me alot like Jason Brody) at KillScreen and other sites wasn't false when he said the game was a critique and satire of FPS's

m5ITl.jpg

ze9Qw.jpg

UaytK.jpg

evIwx.jpg

...Subtle

So do they cultivate stubborn kids for harvest? Or is it more of a bad kids get sent to slavery on the farm sort of thing?