Thompson

Far Cry 3

I'd love to see Clint Hocking's Far Cry 3 as much as I'd like to see Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3

It would have been pretty cool to have another style of FPS and setting again from the first two, so it becomes a Mission Impossible type franchise (or what John Carpenter intended to do with the Halloween franchise before Michael Myers got too popular).

I think it sorta is that. This is a lot different from either of the previous ones since the crafting etc. systems are so deep.

Well shit, maybe it is good!

I'm picking all the wrong horses lately. Also, totally unrelated, I've not been a good judge of teh video games. Stupid horse breeding pool, I swear that palamino looked sexy enough!

Huh, I preordered this on impulse a while ago, but didn't really expect such a good game.

Yeah I kind of had my nose upturned at the suggestion that this one would hold a candle to 2 but that Eurogamer review (who, along with RPS, are just about the only people I implicitly trust with reviews. or WITs) has my finger hovering over the preorder button.

Hell, the RPS WIT that starts off with "There's crafting in Far Cry 3" was almost enough to push me over that edge.

Huh...

I wasn't expecting this to be good.

Is the game's actual story as obnoxious as the marketing was making it out to be?

Huh...

I wasn't expecting this to be good.

Is the game's actual story as obnoxious as the marketing was making it out to be?

Apparently yes, but you only need to play about 3/4 hours of it before you're free to never return to it.

RPS says no, actually. So who knows.

I read the RPS article of being fairly dismissive of the plot.

And I want to stress that the story is pretty good, at least if you delete the memory of the ridiculous Uncharted-like mystic bullshit section, narrated by the game’s most annoying character, which is excruciating. Apart from that section of tomb-leaping awfulness, it’s well told, with some interesting characters, and it even has a few touching moments. You are not a silent protagonist, either, and this gives is an odd feeling at times, watching yourself interact with other characters, muttering comments that aren’t your own. It does work, though. And a couple of times it’s really accomplished. Even with the absurdity of a random American kid being mystically inspired to be a warrior, and going from crying about stabbing someone in the first few minutes to not crying about burning people alive in their dozens just minutes later (and in fact being pretty pleased with the flamethrower).

It’s a nonsense pulp fiction, of course, but aren’t they all? This is just one of the better ones. Normally I would just be focusing on the achievements of a dev team working in sandboxy modes, but this isn’t just about the open world, no. I genuinely wanted to see what happened. An all too-rare feeling in shooterland.

Like you guys I am kinda of surprised by the reviews, I mean I thought it would be good but not that good. I am happy with most of the changes that were mentioned in reviews, I liked Far Cry 2 but I stopped playing it twice because I got so annoyed with the constant stops at checkpoints (as many people mentioned on this thread already). But I am stocked with it being a bit more RPG, and stealth looks awesome (it was my favorite part of Far Cry 2). As for the story, I think its pretty mixed feelings from the reviews, I respect both RPS and Arthur Giese of Polygon; Arthur mentioned that the story tries to be bold but in the end it was just meh.

Anyways, I am pretty stocked for it cant wait for next week!

According to steam I only played 104 minutes of Far Cry 2 before I quit, maybe I should give it a second chance, and then potentially try this game.

No, I think it's more like you guys all assumed it would be terrible without knowing much about it. The main villain is certainly already more interesting than the Jackal - and what more do you need to know about an open world game besides the fact that it's open world? How much did we know about Skyrim before it came out? Except that we had to save the world at the end of it?

No, I think it's more like you guys all assumed it would be terrible without knowing much about it. The main villain is certainly already more interesting than the Jackal - and what more do you need to know about an open world game besides the fact that it's open world? How much did we know about Skyrim before it came out? Except that we had to save the world at the end of it?

We knew plenty about Skyrim. Most of what we had to go on for Far Cry 3 was abysmal marketing.

No, it did a terrible marketing job of actually selling what it was, but most games do. Dragon Age? Let's play death metal over everything, fuck yeah badassery! Far Cry 3? Drugs, everything is drugs and ooh look boobies yay!

Video game marketing in general is fucking awful. The Forza Horizon commercials, what there was of them, was nothing but flashy lights and dubstep. The game just ends up being a driving game, which isn't what they were selling. Much of the triple A video game marketing world really needs to get its shit together and stop being dishonest about what the games they're selling really are about. You don't see dubstep and super fast, flashy cuts over the latest Romcom, or tits flashing in your face every two seconds for "Lost". So why the fuck do we have that for video games?

Well the plot of Far Cry 3 is largely about drugs, judging from the reviews. And in the E3 video from last year they show you attacking an enemy camp, something you will undoubtedly do ALL the time in Far Cry 3. Not sure what else they could have shown.

Though, this PC gamer review does make a good point of the marketing deficiency:

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/far-cry-3-review/

We’d been told it was an ‘open world’ game, but everything Ubisoft showed of it made it look like a monologue-heavy, tightly scripted adventure, its freedom limited to small mission areas. That is in there, it turns out: there’s an absurdly long series of missions about rescuing your friends from the pirates who’ve captured them. But it’s just one of the many different games you can play on this vast, freely explorable tropical island.

Well the plot of Far Cry 3 is largely about drugs, judging from the reviews. And in the E3 video from last year they show you attacking an enemy camp, something you will undoubtedly do ALL the time in Far Cry 3. Not sure what else they could have shown.

Show us the crafting, or the NPC interaction, or actual story not snippets of Albert Einstein quotes from a guy in a tiny mohawk. Hell, show me the travel options, or some more weapons, or a full mission. There's plenty they could have shown, instead it's dubstep, drug trips and CGI breasts, none of which serve to interest me about a video game.

Fakedit: Also woops, turns out BRKL was right and I read the PCGamer review not the RPS one. My bad.

They had a problem when the public perception became that it was going to be a linear story-focused game, they weren't being clear at all about what Far Cry 3 was actually going to be.

According to steam I only played 104 minutes of Far Cry 2 before I quit, maybe I should give it a second chance, and then potentially try this game.

According to Steam I've only played 99 minutes of Far Cry 2, when I know I have over 30 hours of playtime. I was dangerously close to collecting all whatever the little hidden nuggets were. Diamond caches?

Steam is hiding something from us.