Thompson

Far Cry 3

I think the music is one of the primary driving forces behind the negative reactions. No matter how good the trailer might be, the moment you throw that shit on it you're destined to be hated. :tdown: Beyond that it's a fairly effective way of setting up the game's premise (though I hope we get to actually play this stuff).

I think last year's footage makes it quite clear there's going to be plenty of the free-roaming stuff once you escape the set-up that the cinematic depicts — it's not going to have become a different game in one year.

3nXjcMlX8oE

In all honesty it looks more like a faithful sequel to Far Cry 1 than anything else, with a dash of Crysis in there for good measure. Of course, if you're looking for balls-out sandbox jungle action the recent console port of Crysis is a worthwhile investment. :tup:

Pia_l3PxOKE

I think last year's footage makes it quite clear there's going to be plenty of the free-roaming stuff once you escape the set-up that the cinematic depicts — it's not going to have become a different game in one year.

You say that, but it wouldn't be the first time. Ubisoft itself has been known to throw stuff back to the drawing board. They've actually been doing it recently with the Ghost Recon Future Soldier game - I've seen at least three discrete versions of that game with different design philosophies and it still isn't out. Although I think it does have a semi-close release date now so that one, at least, is probably somewhat nailed down now.

I'm a little worried about some reactions I'm seeing to the game now. There seems to be a percent of people on the internet, and I don't know how big that percent is, saying that the game is less interesting now because the protagonist and his friend are "bro's." Which I don't think is correct at all. I mean, yeah, they seem like college guys or whatever, but they aren't Pauly Shore'ing all over the game.

Now that's a game I want to see. Far Cry 3, starring Pauly Shore… You could have an achievement for "Weasing" all the juice on the island.

"Bro" in the sense that people are using it is a term for mainstream college guys who are into sports and polo shirts. It's a way for nerds to lash out at the cool people who picked on them.

Anyway, I think the protagonist as portrayed early on seems like a reasonable fit for the "ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances" archetype, but I hope they explain how he suddenly becomes a total badass.

I'd be satisfied with a training montage.

In all honesty it looks more like a faithful sequel to Far Cry 1 than anything else, with a dash of Crysis in there for good measure.

Your friend who gets shot comes back as a Trigen and you have to re-kill him. :erm:

Did anyone here play Far Cry Instincts? It was the console port, but it made a significant addition in giving the protagonist trigen-related superscientifical powers. I wonder how that panned out.

It's a huge cliche at this point, but so is everything in video games, and it looked fun.

I like that they're continuing to base the premise on a more intimate kind of plot (ie: traveller's buddy is killed for no real reason, main character barely escapes the same fate, girlfriend is kidnapped to presumably be sold into sex slavery) rather than the usual 'end of the world' bullshit.

Because of this premise, I'm (even) less interested in the game, actually. The thought of the protagonists (girl)friend being under constant threat of being sexually assaulted does not make me work harder to rescue her. It makes me not want to play this game at all.

In all honesty it looks more like a faithful sequel to Far Cry 1 than anything else, with a dash of Crysis in there for good measure.

That's honestly going to disappoint me. I currently have an old-as-can-be computer so I haven't played anything that isn't an indie game since 2006, and even then I was pushing it, but I got Far Cry 2 (well, a pack with part 1 on Steam) specifically because of the frustrating stuff Idle Thumbs discussed. Is there anything known about any systems / functions carrying over from FC2 to part 3?

Holy interviews:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/strange-place-far-cry-3/726951

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/down-the-far-cry-3/726886

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/living-island-interview-hd/726949

It's sounding and looking good to me, and there's assurance that Far Cry 2's various mechanics — safe houses, side-quests, extensive exploration, sandbox action, etc — will be returning, although weapon jamming isn't mentioned (yeah I'll totally miss that).

Can't help but feel a lot of deja vu having played two of Crytek's efforts in an overwhelmingly similar setting, though. :shifty:

Holy interviews:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/strange-place-far-cry-3/726951

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/down-the-far-cry-3/726886

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/living-island-interview-hd/726949

It's sounding and looking good to me, and there's assurance that Far Cry 2's various mechanics — safe houses, side-quests, extensive exploration, sandbox action, etc — will be returning, although weapon jamming isn't mentioned (yeah I'll totally miss that).

Can't help but feel a lot of deja vu having played two of Crytek's efforts in an overwhelmingly similar setting, though.

Wow that does sound much more than what I was expecting, although it still probably won't be a Far Cry 2. Especially everything in that second video made the game sound really interesting.

I haven't played Crytek's games so not getting that deja vu.

Wow, I guess I'm in a teeny tiny minority here. After reading all your comments I watched the trailer and loved it. I even loved the music. The only thing that was bad was the performances, dialogue, and facial animation (LA Noire has spoiled me in that regard).

And the performances and dialogue are on par with 90% of other games out there (i.e. awful).

As far as I can tell it's Die Hard on an Island -- which is something I'd like to play. :tup:

I will never tire of blasting shit on a beautiful tropical island. Its one of the best settings you can pick for a game and has done the Far Cry series good.

Im not sure how I feel about the direction of the game, Im not seeing the problems of Far Cry 2 being addressed. We havent seen any gameplay besides idiotic running and gunning yet. Its also yet to be seen if there are actually neutral factions or civillians, or some group that isnt on a shoot-on-sight basis with you.

As long as the game plays good and feels like Far Cry 2 I will be happy, even if the same mistakes are made. Unfortunately I dont think the game will be as good because this new director doesnt seem to have the same view on games as Clint did.

I really hope it's possible to just pass by the "story" like FC2 and just roam around a jungle blasting shit.

I really hope it's possible to just pass by the "story" like FC2 and just roam around a jungle blasting shit.

Don't count on it.

Don't count on it.

Hope is pretty much a word to indicate a vote of no faith in whatever I'm saying, for me.

IE. Gee, I sure hope the character with a shady backgroud and unknown father doesn't happen to be the daughter of the primary villain. Etc.

I will play this game and enjoy it if the voice heard at the end is that of the tiger you see a few seconds before.

So it turns out Far Cry 3 is actually an open world game, or at least close to one.

To learn this I had to read a white paper on the global illumination of the game and notice such was mentioned incidentally.

Which pisses me off, I'm not buying your damned game because of your story that is essentially a douchebag's wet dream. Think about that for a moment, you're rich enough to have your own boat while sailing to tropical islands, a crazy off the wall buddy and a hot girlfriend. You get kidnapped after drinking yourself into a coma, your buddy is killed and your girlfriend kidnapped. But wait, you're a totally crazy badass that's going to kill all these motherfuckers to get her back, hell fucking yeah!

It's so bad it's almost a mockery. But maybe I'm interested in an open world Far Cry 2 like game, this time without crappy AI an mediocre shooting I hope. But I wouldn't know about that because the only thing even revealed about this game is the above "douchebag's wet dream" story.

To be fair, while the main character (you) may at the beginning be National Lampoon's Bikini Atol Vacation, I get the sense that you're pretty fucked by the time you take control. At which point it becomes immaterial because you're now in control so it doesn't matter who he is, just how well you can shoot a man. He isn't John Rambo or anything, it's all very "do what you must". We'll see, but I think it's stupid to not buy the game because of.

"The graphics will immediately astound you."

"A massive game world."

I like how the quotes they're using to excite people don't really have any real qualitative analysis.

There are things in this game. GET UP ON IT.

At which point it becomes immaterial because you're now in control so it doesn't matter who he is,

Until he opens his mouth every 5 minutes and comments on things your doing.

Also agree that people shouldn't jump to conclusions, I expect the gameplay to be very similiar to FarCry 2 and be fun, it's just a fact we have to accept it won't be FarCry 2 and that they are pushing narrative and characters this time.

Co-op is always a big sell for me. I love clowning around, and stumbling through a game with a friend or two. Saints Row the Third was perfect for this, and we played the shit out of it. Looking forward to doing the same in FC3.

I have gotten really cynical about developers announcing co-op for their games.

It seems like 90% of the time it's either completely misguided and actively harmful to the game, or just some token throwaway thing that does nothing but divert development resources away from what matters, all in pursuit of a bullet point on a box. (Or a way to justify a first-purchase reward scheme.)

Out of this year's E3, Dead Space 3 is the former, Far Cry 3 looks like the latter.