Thompson

Far Cry 3

It may actually be a reality according to this news story.

I'm more than a little worried that it will lose it's amazing open world and the very thing that a lot of people didn't like, the insanely unforgiving mechanics. I loved that. There's a lot for them to learn, AI needs to be changed significantly for one and perhaps a little less driving but I really do want them to stick to the formula that made Far Cry 2 so great.

How do you feel about it? Do you think Clint Hocking's departure will have an impact?

To me, Far Cry 2 seemed to be exactly what it wanted to be, there isn't really anything i'd wish to see changed.

Maybe a less hostile world with that isn't solely populated with bad guys? (Or, you know, random death jeeps flying out of the brush to plow you over.)

Knowing nothing about any of this, I expect some executive is aiming to leverage the indie popularity and credibility of the Far Cry™ franchise, and now they're exited to announce they'll be bringing you a reboot that adds everything you wan in today's games, like Facebook integration and stupid dumb shit, while keeping intact the core assets that made Far Cry so popular among core consumers, like weapons and enemies.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised. Didn't Far Cry 2 do terribly?

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised. Didn't Far Cry 2 do terribly?

Is 2.9 million copies terrible? (Not being snarky, I literally don't know)

Is 2.9 million copies terrible? (Not being snarky, I literally don't know)

It depends entirely on how much money they spent making and marketing it, selling two million copies is no longer any guarantee you'll get a sequel.

(While lots of indie outfits will survive for years on sales in the low thousands, it's all a cost-vs-profit equation.)

Sounds like a lot of games to me. I've been assuming it did terribly, maybe just because it has such indie cred I somehow thought it would have to be disregarded by the mass market or something I don't know. If it did well, that's cool, and maybe FC3 will be even more awesome!*

* I haven't actually played FC2, but it sounds like a huge chore.

I was very impressed by the first few hours of Far Cry 2. The only thing more effective in conveying the same message would have been to take a "Welcome to a World of Shit" sign and hammer it through the players skull all the way to his brain. It was somehow refreshing to attack an enemy encampment with a shortage on ammo and a gun that is constantly getting jammed when, in your malaria battered brain, you still know that the world isn't going to be any better place after you have dealt with this shit.

I hope they won't change things much for Far Cry 3. Perhaps they could make the world less uniformly hostile or something. And make the respawn rate less idiotic. This issue made me stop playing the game last summer before I even had the chance to set the world on fire and hang glide over its dark spilling remains.

I remember someone here saying that the respawn rate is hardwired and depends on how the resources are freed. Does that mean that a new machine with more RAM could help?

I hope they won't change things much for Far Cry 3.

Do we even know if it's a (spiritual) sequel to Far Cry 2 or if it's more of a sequel to the original? They are completely different games.

I guess not, but I sure hope that it will be more in the vein of the second game.

After putting so much effort into reinventing that series, i seriously can't imagine they'd go back to the original fiction.

The crux of Far Cry 2 seemed to be "Please forget all those awful X-box games we did." They ran all that good will Crytek's game had into the ground pretty quickly.

I'd guess Far Cry 3 would be either a direct sequel to 2, or another big non-sequitur, but i can't see them going back to Carver and the Trigens.

I'd guess Far Cry 3 would be either a direct sequel to 2, or another big non-sequitur, but i can't see them going back to Carver and the Trigens.

God! I was so disappointed by Far Cry's monster twist.

It'd be quite cool to take Far Cry 2's mechanics and apply them to a jungle/mercs and monsters setting, I reckon. Or just do something completely different again, so each entry is a different style. Like the Mission Impossible films!

The rumour (a while ago now) was that Far Cry 3 would be set in Antarctica.

Maybe they will pull a Far Cry 2 and make it totally different from the previous games.

New guy, new setting and yes, the grenades will roll uphill now.

Or maybe they will make it a space marine horror love story rpg fps in space, the moon might be involved also.

God! I was so disappointed by Far Cry's monster twist.

I wasn't as bothered by it as some people were, but i got on board with that game a little after the fact, so the surprise was already common knowledge.

The only part of that game i really didn't like was the volcano finale.

Yeah, I simply stopped playing because I wasn't having fun anymore. Looking at a Youtube playthrough, it seems like I was literally 5 minutes for the ending.

Oh well.

Far Cry 1 and 2 were basically entirely different games and I think the IP was used purely for its marketing value, and while I think FC1 was far superior it's fairly pointless pursuing that because Crysis already accomplished everything FC1 strived to be and more.

I'd probably give FC3 a chance if it were based somewhere drastically different to the FC2 setting (somewhere snowy does sound great, although we're heading back into Crysis territory here) — but if it's as generally tedious to play as FC2 often was it can piss right off.

D'you know what the definition of insanity is?

Do you fucking know what the fucking definition of fucking insanity is fucking?

Do you fucking know what the fucking definition of fucking insanity is fucking?

Reganomics.