BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

1 minute ago, Yasawas said:

I will see all your crazy opinions and raise you: Sunshine is awful, 3D World is the best 3D Mario and New Super Mario Bros U is the best 2D Mario.

I actually almost agree with you on New Super Mario Bros U. I think Super Mario World is far and away the best 2D one but Mario U is probably my second favorite. Definitely the most underrated Mario game. It gets way more hate than it deserves.

And I'll just ignore that other part of your post...

1 hour ago, dartmonkey said:

I occasionally found it difficult to judge distances and I actually missed the 3D from 3D Land, which I loved.

Yeah that's the number one problem with 3D World, really. It's so much harder to judge distances than it should be. And it doesn't even make the game hard, just tedious trial and error.

21 minutes ago, Zeusthecat said:

And I'll just ignore that other part of your post...

:P

I didn't get the hate (or at least grumpy indifference) NSMBU seemed to get at launch either but there seems to be an increasing acceptance of it as being great. Which it is. As is Super Mario World obviously but I think U just shades it for me.

Or maybe it's a subconscious defence mechanism I've adopted so I don't waste precious brain cycles swithering over whether I prefer SMB3 or SMW, I could never truly decide with those two.

I just completed NSMBU and have been pleasantly surprised. It's convinced me to keep the Wii U near a power socket come March for if I fancy a blast of Mario in the bathtub. I think some of the background art is a bit bland, especially on the map screen but it's fun. Non-auto save and clunky Miiverse integration are minor negatives. Actually, the Miiverse posts are now mostly scrawls saying 'fu*k this!!!' or 'sooo hard'. Weird seeing effin' and jeffin' in that rounded proprietary font.

i've got plenty of coins to collect, and New Super Luigi, as and when I get to it. Any opinions on it?

NSMBU and Luigi are both v good.

Too bad the NSMB series is the most visually boring Mario style of all time.

On 1/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, Twig said:

Bayonetta 1 and 2: 2 is better, though that may be because I got used to the gameplay. Character action games are... not a genre I'm good at. I was very very frustrated with the first game, until I managed to buy enough health upgrades that it wasn't as big an issue. Second game, I found much easier, and thus much more enjoyable. (Note: I did stubbornly play on Normal, because apparently playing on Easy, they just auto-do combos for you?? I didn't want that much help.)

They actually changed the timings around a bit when they ported Bayonetta 1 to the Wii U. Having beaten it on 360 and then played the Wii U version a bit after finishing 2, I can say that, anecdotally, it felt like the Wii U port was much harder than the original 360 version. So, y'know, feel ok about that.

16 hours ago, Twig said:

Yeah that's the number one problem with 3D World, really. It's so much harder to judge distances than it should be. And it doesn't even make the game hard, just tedious trial and error.

I had the same problem, but it started for me in Galaxy.  64 and Sunshine I had no problem with and was able to pull of some speedrunner level moves, but for some reason Galaxy turned me into a one-eyed fool with no depth perception.  Every 3D game since then has just compounded the problem for me.  I can see why people like them but for the life of me I just can't get my brain to work.

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I had the same problem, but it started for me in Galaxy.  64 and Sunshine I had no problem with and was able to pull of some speedrunner level moves, but for some reason Galaxy turned me into a one-eyed fool with no depth perception.  Every 3D game since then has just compounded the problem for me.  I can see why people like them but for the life of me I just can't get my brain to work.

I s'pose I can see that, but for me the key difference is the ability to control the camera. Galaxy was more restrictive than 64 and DEFINITELY more restrictive than Sunshine, but still gave me a modicum of control, which allowed me to more quickly and more freely judge distance by virtue of change in angle.

3D Land fixed this problem by having, well, 3D. It's still to this day my go-to example of a 3D screen actually enhancing my gaming experience. (VR notwithstanding.)

3D World... keeps the strict camera angles, but without the advantage of the 3D screen. Sure you can change the camera angle by, what, 15 degree increments or something in either direction, but it's not enough.

9 minutes ago, Twig said:

I s'pose I can see that, but for me the key difference is the ability to control the camera. Galaxy was more restrictive than 64 and DEFINITELY more restrictive than Sunshine, but still gave me a modicum of control, which allowed me to more quickly and more freely judge distance by virtue of change in angle.

The restrictions are what killed Galaxy for me.  I probably spent more time fighting and moving the camera than I did Mario.  I moved the camera a ton in 64 and Sunshine as well, but it was less of an issue then because even though it's a 3D game, the movement is still largely on a flat plane.  Most of the time you're moving forward or sideways and the vertical movement tends to be in a straight line too.  With Galaxy though, there is a lot of simultaneous horizontal and vertical movement because you're running around spheres and shifting axes much more frequently.  I remember misjudging distances and direction a lot more in Galaxy than I ever did in the previous games because I just couldn't get my bearings.

To be clear, I don't think this is an inherent issue with the game.  It's entirely a personal failing on my part, one that unfortunately made the game completely unenjoyable.  If I went back and replayed them I'd like to think I'd fare much better now that I have more experience.

Just put in an order for Breath of the Wild on Wii U. Crazy, it's just 39 days away from release. Soon it's Link time!

I've owned NSMBU since I first bought my Wii U and I've never managed to finish it. Every time I get a few worlds in and find myself giving up - I just find it ball-bustingly difficult, especially if you try to play it cooperatively. I dread to think what the Luigi DLC is like.

To be fair, I've never actually finished any of the NES/SNES Mario games either, so perhaps it just maintains that classic level of difficulty - but I don't know how much of that stuff was worth keeping tbh. I don't understand why it maintains the old tradition of only letting you 'hard save' after finishing a castle - if you run out of lives, you can end up losing vast chunks of progress. I guess that's one way to make lives meaningful? But I dunno - I completed Tropical Freeze and by comparison it never made me feel like busting the gamepad over my knee after a particularly bad session. 

Super Mario 3D World, on the other hand, gave me relatively little trouble. It's just like sinking into a warm bath for my brain. I'm actually trying to finish Galaxy for the first time at the moment - I might write something else about it on the games of 2007 thread...

I am surprised to not see more love for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker here. There is never a moment in that game when I am not thinking 'this is delightful in every way'. No sane person relates to Mario, surely? But Toad: it me. It me. They literally made a game about my life. 

Oh, and on the topic of Zelda - there's a fairly substantial EU eshop sale on all the Zelda games running from tomorrow. I might pick up Minish Cap and one or both of the DS titles on Wii U - anybody have an opinion as to which is best?

I didn't much care for Minish Cap. To me it felt too derivative, something that came this close to a Zelda game, without truly understanding what made it fun. Felt like a slog throughout.

For my money, the DS titles (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) were vastly superior. Interesting, unique, fun throughout. Of the two, I like Phantom Hourglass better, though many people were put off by having to repeat the central dungeon again and again. I didn't mind, because every new item you get offers a new and faster way through it, making for a great sense of satisfaction as you plow through an area that was at first a challenge.

79ab22f7b284e21717d65ce395060740.jpg

Shame that Nintendo didn't use this Zelda weeks concept as a chance to promote again the Four Swords Anniversary edition that was only available for a limited time on 3DS years ago before I had a 3DS...

I'm just going to post my favourite ad about a Wii U game in this thread. It's over 7 minutes long but I think it's cool.

I played through Minish Cap last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it although it's no Link's Awakening. And all the Capcom Zelda games feel a bit weird. Worth a fiver though.

I saw that sale advertised earlier and felt bad I stopped Oracle of Ages halfway through six months ago, I'm terrified to load up that save state now as I was barely understanding how to play the game at the time never mind now.

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I'm terrified to load up that save state now as I was barely understanding how to play the game at the time never mind now.

I'm in the same boat. I got a fair ways into Seasons and stopped playing for some reason. Having to restart is kind of off-putting.

I really liked Spirit Tracks. Although that may be largely because I'm still a five-year-old boy who loves trains.

Also on the Zelda front: I've been playing through Twilight Princess HD, and that game holds up a lot better than people give it credit for. The opening is excruciatingly slow, but past that it's paced rather well, and it has some of the most enjoyable dungeons in the series.

I quit Xenoblade Chronicles because the combat is complete and utter ass and everything that exists to mitigate the tedium is just as bad if not worse. Experience from sidequests to become overpowered and speed up combat? Sidequests are torturously boring. Extra power from gems? Gem crafting is torturously boring. I admit I'm baffled as to what made people think this game was revolutionary at the time, let alone good. I guess if you'd never played a stereotypical MMO before, it might seem new and fresh, but they took the worst part of the MMO genre! Uninteresting combat that's mostly just staring at cooldowns waiting to be able to push the button again? NAH. Endless fetch quests and A->B->A->B->etc marathons? NAH.

At least Eryth Sea was pretty.

Plus side, it means I don't have to pretend I'm gonna try Xenoblade Chronicles X, or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when it comes out. I can safely ignore them! Phew.

People just liked the exploration and story of Xenoblade, mostly. The combat is kinda just there, and the side-quests have zero substance to them.

Xenoblade X improves the exploration by making a massive open world with interesting things to find, tries to improve the combat but ends up making it inscrutable and impenetrable, fleshes out side-quests with interesting dialogue (but they're still mostly basic MMO-style fetch quests), and tries to write a story that neither makes sense nor is conclusive. I've streamed some side-content on my twitch channel, since I finished the main quest ages ago, so if you want to just take a small bite into it, you can wander over there.

I probably would've kept playing if the combat wasn't so dull and unnecessarily long. When I went into the High Entia Tomb and suddenly the fights were taking minutes instead of seconds because I'd stopped overleveling from sidequests because I'd stopped doing sidequests, I had to bail. The story wasn't interesting enough to put up with such inane gameplay.

C'est la vie. I can't like everything. ):

Holy crap, just realized that new Zelda is just 26 days away from release. O_o

Earlier today I accidentally saw only the second footage I've seen of it since that first trailer and almost wept. I am 36 years old. 

I've taken a long weekend off work for it which is a first for a video game and I don't even feel daft about that now.