BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I just got Super Mario Maker! I only played a little (an unlocked amiibo stuff), so... I have to keep making levels to unlock tools and playing to unlock characters, right?

Do we have a thread for sharing levels?

We do actually have a thread for Mario Maker, but it hasn't been active in many many many months: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10402-super-mario-maker/

There's a bunch of levels in there to get you started though!

With regard to unlocking tools: new sets get unlocked after placing a certain number of blocks, with minimum 15 minute intervals between sets being unlocked (previously 1 whole day! But that was patched)

With regard to unlocking characters: amiibo and completing 100-mario challenge (or was it 10-mario? I can't remember!) unlock the default set of characters, and there are event stages that unlock specific characters like Hello Kitty, Ice Climbers, Callie/Marie, and more.

Cool, Tanu! Add me and let's share some levels! Look at the previous 20-odd posts, someone was kind enough to post a link to the Mario Maker bookmark site which is kind of essential if you want to browse other people's creations.

[EDIT: I was mistaken, that conversation happened in the NX thread.]

Does anybody know if the event courses go away with time? That's my top priority now. I want to play all the ones that unlock characters.

I'm wondering about that, too. Before finishing them all (by a long shot, I expect there are hundreds), I dived into the official levels, which also offer tons of skins.

I'm of two minds about the fact that the 100 Mario's challenges don't offer any rewards. On the one hand that totally focuses on the fun of it, without penalizing you for failing, but my achievement-crackwhore mind craves collectibles and unlockables. Sure, you unlock a random skin any time you finish a 16-level course, but that ends pretty quickly. By the way, the hard levels are VERY hard. I wasn't able to finish a single one so far, and even then it'd take so many lives I doubt you'd be able to do it with just the 100.

I picked up Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush somewhat on a whim, finding it in the bargain bin. I wasn't expecting anything of it, since most Kirby offerings I find a little on the light side. But I'm playing this slavishly co-op with my gf (switching between one of us guiding Kirby around and the other cleaning things up with Waddle Dee), and it is a blast.

The clay aesthetic is charming as hell and puts me in a Neverhood mood (but with super super smooth frame rates). Gorgeous stuff. The gameplay is delightfully relaxed, but offers far more in the way of hilarious moments and chaos than vanilla Kirby, as you don't directly control the pink blob but guide him through tapping and drawing paths for him to take. It's not anything frustrating (especially if you have Waddle Dee to clean up some of the enemies), but creates a ton of fun moments. Kirby will get stuck or go the opposite direction you want him to, and it's more akin to coaxing a hapless pet through the levels.

Really, the first moment we saw this intro cinematic we were sold wholesale.

Also of note is the co-op multiplayer we're doing: Kirby and Waddle Dee have wildly differing gameplay styles, and the levels even adapt so that both players are enjoying a fun challenge. It's so well thought-out yet confidently simple.

Rainbow Curse is the best Kirby game [that I've played] so I'm not surprised this one is good. I keep meaning to buy it but never do!

Kirby's Epic Yarn is not so challenging, but the way it looks is just incredible. The wool world and animations are just so cute and smooth. Just like Yoshi's Woolly World. Even though it's just Wii's 480p, the graphics still look great.

I'd buy the game for the second time as HD re-release if there ever was one.

O, I had forgotten Epic Yarn was a Wii game! With all the Kirby's flying around and my being out of the Nintendo game for most of this generation, I totally got that mixed up. I thought Power Paintbrush pre-dated Epic Yarn, but it's the other way around. Gorgeous, gorgeous HD claymation.

Did they hand-sculpt all of that, or is it some sort of smart renderign technique? I just can't even tell. It's done so smoothly I'm guessing it's 3D graphics, but the detail is incredible.

I just read that Yooka-Laylee has made the Swit..., erm, has been cancelled for Wii U and moved to Switch. It's great news for the game (and I'll be upgrading) but it comes with a pang of sadness. I was looking forward to a swansong for my Wii U - it deserves a good send off. Xenoblade Chronicles might have done it, but that's coming to Switch. Tropical Freeze is supposedly to be great. Captain Toad doesn't seem grand enough but perhaps that's fitting. Any suggestions for the Wii U season finale (coming, for me, January 2017)?

(I've already got 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, MK8, Yarn Yoshi, Pikmin 3 and the Bayonettas.)

Oh GOD! Tropical Freeze is.... how do I say it? A wonderful game, that I simply never want to see again. I have a strange love-hate relationship with it, the ending was just so brutal.

Doesn't it have to be one the last games published on the WiiU to be a  "swan song"? It's not much of a swan song if it's not from that moment in time.

But I think I know what you mean, it does feel like the WiiU isn't going to have a swan song, but we'll have to wait and see.

I guess Breath of the Wild will be the 'official' swansong, though Nintendo would cancel that if they could avoid the PR shitstorm from their hardcore fans who bought Wii U (though those people will probably have Switch day one anyway). I mean more of a personal swansong - the last game I should play before packing it up. How long was Tropical Freeze? I can handle 10 hours of love-hate. 25 would be too much!

I think 10-12? It's a marvelous game, but the last 2 hours are kinda "horrible" with their brutalness, which was fine for me since the game was easier before I spend all the coins on extra lives for the levels I'd lose so many lives one, I think I died 30+ times in the final level? It's strange to say it was so brutal when technically I never ran out of lives.

It's a good choice if you aware of how hard it gets.

Damn. And just when I was enjoying the laid-back Kirby so much.

Currently I'm playing Wind Waker HD, which is a really good experience. Love being back in the world, it looks beauitful. My gf said something to the tune of 'wow, all you do is kinda sail around', and I went 'yes, that's the purpose of this game, it is very relaxing'. Also striking is how much easier the game is than how I experienced it the first time, but that has been true for all the (3D) Zelda remakes. When you're young they're pretty tough, but when you've been through Dark Souls it's a walk in the park.

Did you do the final secret levels Tanukitsune? They were fucking brutal, but also the most satisfying platforming I've had since Super Meat Boy. I absolutely adore Tropical Freeze, it might be the best game on the system. The platforming is tough and the controls are tight. My only gripe is that it's really not a 2-player game, and Dixie is the best Kong compared to diddy and cranky, apart from the 4 or so kong letters/warps where you need cranky's cane. Seriously there is no point to diddy's existance. I might be wrong, but I think there's a demo on the eStore? 

If you like the bayonettas, I recommend Wonderful 101. I'm also playing TMS:#FE, and it's a blast. 

38 minutes ago, Roderick said:

Damn. And just when I was enjoying the laid-back Kirby so much.

Currently I'm playing Wind Waker HD, which is a really good experience. Love being back in the world, it looks beauitful. My gf said something to the tune of 'wow, all you do is kinda sail around', and I went 'yes, that's the purpose of this game, it is very relaxing'. Also striking is how much easier the game is than how I experienced it the first time, but that has been true for all the (3D) Zelda remakes. When you're young they're pretty tough, but when you've been through Dark Souls it's a walk in the park.

Also don't forget that they nerfed the Triforce collect-a-thon at the end, making it a lot easier to complete. lol,

Ah yes, the Swift Sail and the nerfed Triforce collect-a-thon (which I don't remember ever having such a problem with in the first place, though!) are huge quality-of-life improvements.

I had a copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but last August it was stolen from my house during my birthday party. That induced me into a 'turn everything upside down to find it' frenzy that lasted four days, but I had to admit it was really gone. Quite upsetting. I mean to re-purchase the game at some point, if I find the heart (and cash) for it.

Yoshi's Wolly World was a pretty good yoshi style platformer.  it was much harder than i anticipated (going for 100% yarn and flowers at least - even more if you get the full gold star no damage / all stamps).  The bonus levels per world are really well done

someone else in this thread was a YWW enthusiast too

It should be down in price for the winter, i've still got a world or so left - play on the handheld for a level or two at a time when my partner wants the TV

On 12/13/2016 at 11:48 AM, dartmonkey said:

I just read that Yooka-Laylee has made the Swit..., erm, has been cancelled for Wii U and moved to Switch. It's great news for the game (and I'll be upgrading) but it comes with a pang of sadness. I was looking forward to a swansong for my Wii U - it deserves a good send off. Xenoblade Chronicles might have done it, but that's coming to Switch. Tropical Freeze is supposedly to be great. Captain Toad doesn't seem grand enough but perhaps that's fitting. Any suggestions for the Wii U season finale (coming, for me, January 2017)?

(I've already got 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, MK8, Yarn Yoshi, Pikmin 3 and the Bayonettas.)

It really annoys me so much that Playtonic in the end threw the Wii U version under the bus even though they have been shouting for 1,5 years that Wii U is their lead platform with PC that they are developing themselves. If the issues really are what they said, then I would imagine that professional game developers would notice those technological difficulties earlier instead of saying everything is going great. I could say the same for the Stardew Valley developer. It was said to launch on Wii U in December and then just a few weeks before the supposed launch date they announced it's not coming at all and maybe will come to Switch instead. Such bullshit. The rats are just escaping the boat because Nintendo officially announced that Wii U is no longer in production and the first official infos came of Switch. Still you have around 12 million Wii U owners that are potential buyers.

Yooka-Laylee was supposed to be the true last 3rd party swan song on Wii U and I did not back it in Kickstarter, but I was planning on buying it on Wii U to support those devs for really making an effort. Now I don't feel like getting the game anymore. I think I might someday but I'll get it from GOG when it's like 5 dollars instead of 40 dollars. I just don't care anymore about it, these news are always such a letdown.

Tropical Freeze is really great platformer but tough and Captain Toad is a fun spin off game. It's a pure joy to play.

I get the impression that everyone forgets about new Shantae for U. It's coming out in December, and physical edition supposedly a bit later somewhere in first months of 2017.

On 13.12.2016 at 6:16 PM, jennegatron said:

TMS #FE is my goty.

I second TMS #FE. If you already have Wii U do not miss this gem from Atlus. Solid jrpg which gets better each time you get a new character in your party. It brings a lot from both worlds of SMT and FE series.

Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about Shantae Half-Genie Hero since that Kickstarter project kept getting pushed later and later for the release date.

It's good that it's finally coming out even if late a bit over two years from the original estimate and it certainly shows that some developers have class and keep their word about the release platforms. The Wii U version exists for sure as the Wii U backers received their codes a few days later than other platforms, but it is all ready now for next week. Funny reading the KS comments though since some European backers have received the US code for the game and can't play it because of that.

I have to mark that down that it's coming actually next week out digitally and best of all the release happens same time in Europe and America.

whoa bit explosive there Kolzig. Sure, it's sad news that it's not coming out on WiiU, as I myself have backed it for the WiiU, but after playing with the Toybox+ on PC, it's clearly an issue with Unity, or whatever plugins they are using, and not with them. It's not as if they abandoned the system, or that they even want to. It's a bit much to say they're fleeing a sinking ship, because that genuinely wasn't their intention. Also, they're not a professional dev team, they're an indie team of ex-rare developers who just want to recreate the joys of N64-era platforming. They didn't expect this technical hurdle, nor do they have the money or the resources to overcome it.

The Unity support being weak on Wii U is a fact. The Wii U wasn't designed for Unity really at all, that is true. A bit too much internet raging on my part I suppose, sorry about that. :getmecoat

I'm just annoyed that all these cancellation news are popping up so fast inside a week or two from various devs regarding games that would have been so cool to have.

But, regarding Shantae, WayForward just today announced new update on the development especially concerning Wii U backers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1764352

Wii U Europe Codes are still on the way!

At this time, the only Backer Codes we’re still waiting for are Wii U (EU). We still expect these to arrive at any moment, but in the interest of serving you best, we’re going to issue each Wii U (EU) Backer a complimentary Steam code to help tide you over.

Look for an email from Backerkit, and enjoy this complimentary code while you wait! You are the last group to be served, so thank you for your patience. As soon as we get the Wii U (EU) Codes, we'll send them out right away!

Please note: this DOES include Backers who've selected Wii U for Australia and New Zealand

:tup: