BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Well I thought the first Xenoblade was a glorified B tier PS2 game and nothing I've seen makes me think Cross will be any different. I wasn't that impressed with Captain Toad in Mario World and I've never heard a kind thing about Wonderful 101 that wasn't along the lines of "Play this for 15 hours and get really good at it and it's a ton of fun in the same way as other Platinum games!" but since there's other Platinum games why bother?. To be fair to those games I do plan to pick them up sometime soonish. But I doubt they're really gonna change my mind.

The other big issue is that even if a lot of Nintendo's games play differently they all kind of look the same. They all look like they're made from the same plastic. It looks nice! But they've somehow found a way to make 3D World, Smash, Mario Kart, and even Splatoon and Wind Waker all feel kind of the same in terms of art.

Is this real? This isn't a joke right? I have no idea why I want this game so much, but I need it NOW.

#FE...

I've been kind of on the fence about this weird goddamned persona-esque crossover game, but i think that just pushed me into the "gotta play it" camp. This looks like the most glorious kind of trainwreck.

More than that though, i'm just amused at how much anger this thing is drawing out from fans of each franchise.

i'm utterly confused by this game

just i have no idea

i don't play persona or fire emblem, but i have played both for brief periods of time, and i feel like i've absorbed enough of both franchises to know

that this makes no goddamn sense

It doesn't make any sense, but that's why I'm so excited for it. It's just looks like an absolute mess of anime and Nintendo. Persona with Idols and Fire Emblem is my bag.

More than that though, i'm just amused at how much anger this thing is drawing out from fans of each franchise.

I don't understand that either. I think in part, it's because they called it SMTxFE, when it's much closer to PersonaxFE, and I believe a lot of SMT fans despise the Persona series. There is some weird vitriol where many are excited that the game seems to be doing badly in Japan. It's strange to revel in the failure of a niche product...

What are the chances that the new Zelda they've been silent on for the past year actually makes it to the Wii U? 

What are the chances that the new Zelda they've been silent on for the past year actually makes it to the Wii U? 

I think we can be pretty certain that it will, if only because they've never given any indication that it could come out on anything else. Talk of a simultaneous release on the NX (whatever that thing is) is, so far, only speculation, and I actually find it hard to imagine them wanting to repeat the Twilight Princess experiment of a cross-generational release.

It seems like a safe bet that the NX will be some kind of handheld, so perhaps they could try an approach which is complementary across devices. Imagine if the primary open-world 3D Zelda experience happens on the Wii U, but you can sync up the NX to it and get (or buy?) access to a whole other campaign of top-down dungeons for playing on the way to work, which would then feed back into the main game somehow when you get home. That’d be a lot of work for them, but it would also be extremely rad.

I think we can be pretty certain that it will, if only because they've never given any indication that it could come out on anything else. Talk of a simultaneous release on the NX (whatever that thing is) is, so far, only speculation, and I actually find it hard to imagine them wanting to repeat the Twilight Princess experiment of a cross-generational release.

It seems like a safe bet that the NX will be some kind of handheld, so perhaps they could try an approach which is complementary across devices. Imagine if the primary open-world 3D Zelda experience happens on the Wii U, but you can sync up the NX to it and get (or buy?) access to a whole other campaign of top-down dungeons for playing on the way to work, which would then feed back into the main game somehow when you get home. That’d be a lot of work for them, but it would also be extremely rad.

Dayum, I hope you're right

Last Night's Nintendo Direct was awesome.

I really have to say that these are the kind of reasons why Nintendo is these days for me what Sega used to be 20-25 years ago. So much fun and joy. Satoru Shibata is hilarious and always not afraid to have fun and make a fool of himself a bit. :)

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/705536849574387712

So I just bought Twilight Princess. It's now downloading while I'm at work. I'm excited to get home and play!

I love Nintendo Directs, they're so endearing, especially as Miyamoto introduces himself simply as a video game developer at Nintendo. 

I also bought Twilight Princess. Had to get the limited edition when I saw it in a shop today. I got a slight amiibo craziness in my head.

Never played Twilight Princess before, I hope it will be a wild ride. :)

God, I so want HD Twilight Princess, but I'm still short a Mario Maker do to the $60 price point :-( Nintendo games are so expensive for me.

I am on the fence about twilight princess, it's only 10yrs out and not much added to the changed in the game besides hard mode and an endless dungeon as the boring wolf for combat

Polygons review and overview show fairly well sold me that need to probably not drop the money just now

Save for that star fox turret game!

I have to say, my memories of Twilight Princess were always negative. Maybe it was during a glut of zelda-esq games, or maybe I'd just hit the zelda threshold of expectations. I remember finding it extremely dull, with no memorable dungeons and nothing really stellar compared to Wind Waker (and even Skyward Sword afterward). It was just a moody link that everyone cried for after that zelda demo.

Replaying it, I'm a lot more positive. The people in the village are full of charm, especially the grumpy baby. I've just gotten to midna, and she is the best thing in the game. Certainly story wise, this game is more interesting that I originally gave it credit for. I've yet to hit a dungeon, so I guess we'll have to see if my memory of the dungeons being naff were right. Also it's flipped, as I played it on the wii, which is messing with my hazy memories.

I never made it past the tutorial when I first tried, mainly because as left hander, using the wiimote was horrible. I've not played a Zelda game in forever, and apparently it's exactly what I wanted to play after hours of roguelikes and souls games. I've only played an hour, but even the boring tutorial has been pretty fun. 

From what I remember of the original reception, was that the dungeons were actually the only good thing about the game. I'm very excited to finally get to them. 

Twilight Princess was maybe the most notorious Zelda game for making us go through an endless array of bullshit before getting to the good stuff. It's still fucking Zelda, though.

Twilight Princess is basically OoT but bigger, which is fine. If it had a non-terrible intro I think it would have a much better reputation.

I have been playing Pikmin 3 lately after getting it in some promo forever ago and man that game is fun and charming. The controls are kinda wonky bit totally manageable once I get the controller set up on my lap comfortably.

Also bought a copy of Bayonetta 1&2 online and am super looking forward to that. I'll probably end up buying that new Star Fix on release, too. It's crazy going from Steam sales to apparently super limited Nintendo print runs.

Twilight Princess was maybe the most notorious Zelda game for making us go through an endless array of bullshit before getting to the good stuff. It's still fucking Zelda, though.

you... you never played skyward sword did you

you... you never played skyward sword did you

I think Skyward Sword had a bit less opening bullshit after watching Danielle play a couple hours of Twilight Princess on Twitch the other night, but I could be misremembering.

Twilight Princess is basically OoT but bigger, which is fine. If it had a non-terrible intro I think it would have a much better reputation.

I have been playing Pikmin 3 lately after getting it in some promo forever ago and man that game is fun and charming. The controls are kinda wonky bit totally manageable once I get the controller set up on my lap comfortably.

Also bought a copy of Bayonetta 1&2 online and am super looking forward to that. I'll probably end up buying that new Star Fix on release, too. It's crazy going from Steam sales to apparently super limited Nintendo print runs.

I've also been playing Pikmin 3 off and on. The fruit names are so great. I've found the best controls to be Wii Remote + Nunchuck (with the gamepad awkwardly on my lap for map stuff).