BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

It's Super Mario Maker.

I want an expansion or something that adds co-op levels.

Yes, the book comes with the game. It's pretty damn impressive.

Also, this game is really great you guys. We already created five levels and did a couple sets of the 10 Mario Challenge and just everything about it feels perfect. The only downside is that it will take some time before all the tools are unlocked.

It's missing the wind up.

Watching the GB Quicklook, you shake the shoe in build mode, you get the high heel. When you play with it, it seems to operate exactly the same. 

Sorry, just kidding around, it doesn't really need the wind up. Is there some kind of story mode in Mario Maker? Or are there levels by various designers by other companies the way Warioware DIY had? I have no interest in actually making levels, but I would play others, so I'm wondering if I should get this.

From what I understand, there's a 10 Mario Challenge which draws eight random levels created by Nintendo and gives you ten lives to finish them, and there's a 100 Mario challenge which draws, I think, 64 random levels made by the community. (You can redraw a community level whenever you want.)

We should really have a SMM thread.

i would make it but I'm on my phone at a cider festival. we can share codes fort levels!

Yes, the book comes with the game. It's pretty damn impressive.

Also, this game is really great you guys. We already created five levels and did a couple sets of the 10 Mario Challenge and just everything about it feels perfect. The only downside is that it will take some time before all the tools are unlocked.

i thought they were doing a day1 patch to remove the 9-day tool lock out

i thought they were doing a day1 patch to remove the 9-day tool lock out

Oh maybe they did then? We played quite a bit today and never unlocked anything beyond a few items at the beginning so I assumed that lockout was still there.

And yeah, the 10 Mario Challenge is more or less the story mode in this game with a barebones story and mini world with 8 random levels that culminate in a boss style level.

Another thing worth mentioning, the music and sound effects are just mesmerizing. It's got kind of a cool, trancey feel to it and every item you place has a robotic bark that identifies the item. Kind of like someone talking through a talk box. Then if you drag the item across the screen to place a bunch of elements, the voice repeats in a different note each time that matches the background music resulting in a really cool robotic sounding Mario theme. It's hard to describe so just trust me, it's super cool. I am very very impressed by this game.

One cool thing with the book - Notice the sequence of numbers randomly dotted around the book? You can enter them in at the bottom of the manual (which, btw, is nuts, if you haven't looked at it yet), to unlock some funky videos!

I just got a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo because it was cheaper and it's in pristine condition which I'm happy about even though I don't care about scratches or anything. I got the Wind Waker one with Nintendo Land which I'm actually really digging as a casual hang out with friends game. I'll probably get Mario Kart 8, but I really hated driving with the Wii mote in the Wii version and wish it supported the gamecube adapter (I'm assuming no games besides Smash can use the adapter, correct?). Maybe I'll pick up a classic controller.

Correct, only Smash currently uses the adapter. If you have all your wii controllers still, that's great because you don't need much else. Wii remote + nunchuck isn't a bad option for Mario Kart. I don't have a pro controller, but I've heard good things about it. Very comfortable and good battery life.

I'll probably get Mario Kart 8, but I really hated driving with the Wii mote in the Wii version and wish it supported the gamecube adapter (I'm assuming no games besides Smash can use the adapter, correct?). Maybe I'll pick up a classic controller.

I've been playing MK8 a lot because it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can splurge on Mario Maker. If you're desperate to play with a GC pad, you can get adapters that make the Wii (U) think it's a classic controller. I've ordered one for the SNES pad. However, I've had zero problems playing with the gamepad. I've even taken to using the right stick to accelerate (and, very occasionally, brake) after doing the same in Most Wanted.

The thing that most impresses me about MK8 is how substantial it feels, by which I mean it somehow conveys a physicality almost like a real toy or object. I realise how vague that sounds, think I've said it before too. But something in the culmination of the models and the animation and the sound gives me the sensation that I'm playing with something physical. 3D World has a similar feel. In fact, all Nintendo's Wii U output does. I remember reading reviews of Pikmin that commented on just how plump and juicy the oranges and strawberries looked. Woolly Yoshi and plasticine Kirby. Everything feels SO solid. And this Mario Kart turns everything that would normally be a frustration on its head. Hitting the minecarts in Wario's Mines doesn't slow you down now because they've got those boost pad things, likewise hitting other racers in antigrav mode. I'm really hoping for another 2 rounds of DLC (Pikmin/Metroid/Starfox stuff would be great. Even Kirby.)

All that stuff about physicality is annoyingly vague, sorry. Even though I'm amazed at the clarity and 60fps, not once while I'm playing am I thinking about polys or clipping or draw distances. It feels chunky and satisfying.

Oh maybe they did then? We played quite a bit today and never unlocked anything beyond a few items at the beginning so I assumed that lockout was still there.

My understanding is that there's now a 15 minute mandatory gap between unlocks but you have to have:

a. Interacted with the level editor for a sum of 15 minutes

b. Tried out all the new things unlocked last time.

Otherwise, it falls back to the old one-unlock-per-day pattern as long as you use the editor once a day.

My understanding is that there's now a 15 minute mandatory gap between unlocks but you have to have:

a. Interacted with the level editor for a sum of 15 minutes

b. Tried out all the new things unlocked last time.

Otherwise, it falls back to the old one-unlock-per-day pattern as long as you use the editor once a day.

Yep, this is correct. Over the weekend we started to notice new things getting unlocked as soon as we met the criteria you mentioned.

Suddenly, two Zelda games in 2016. I'm not fussed about Zelda Wii U being delayed to next year though, Xenoblade X will keep me interested for a while, hopefully. Also I'm still having tons of fun with Splatoon and Mario Maker! Those two games kinda saved 2015 for the Wii U.

I just ordered Yoshi's Woolly World last night.  This has been on my list for quite some time now, and I'm glad I found a good deal.  Canadian Thumbs, if you go to Amazon.ca and search for Yoshi's Woolly World, there's a vendor linked from the official item page that is selling it for $49.95 plus $5.54 shipping, but I didn't get charged any tax sales.  The whole order cost just shy of $20 less than what Best Buy is currently charging for the game, after tax.  

I've been surprised at how quiet Wooly World has been IT and generally internet wide - probably a direct result of being released right around when Danielle left for the other coast.  

I think it is a really good platformer, certainly best "yoshi" platformer i've played.  Graphics are super crisp, they went all in on the aesthetic, and each level has several unlocks to find & a mark for beating at full health which adds good replay.

I've had to slow-play the game with my recently changed gaming habits (RE: infant) - but nice to pick up and do a level or two.  I'm on world three and very pleased with the whole experience.