BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Today's the day. This is the day of the return of Starfox.

But since Ninty already came out during the weekend already with the great NWC2015, a new online scifi football game for 3DS and Earthbound Beginnings unveiling along with Smash Bros stuff, today I hope for something completely else also.

I still crave for a new F-Zero game.

New Metroid Prime. New Metroid Prime. New Metroid Prime. New Metroid Prime...

I'm going to be disappointed.. :(

they never do new ip so i hope they do another new ip besides all the new ip they've done for the past few years

New Metroid Prime came, but for 3DS and not Wii U.

Yes, it looks like it's some sort of online test game rather than a really full blown Metroid action adventure game.

Not really much of it was shown in the event so can't really make up my mind what to think about it.

So much of what was shown wasn't terribly exciting. I get why Nintendo is enthusiastic about Mario Maker, but people have been producing zany mods and impossible levels for Mario games for ages. It seems weird that this is their big big big thing. The Zelda and Metroid 3DS games look downright poor. Did anyone else feel that way? I get the feeling the 3DS is capable of way better than this in terms of sheer poly power. Look to Kingdom Hearts 3D (of YEARS ago) for proof.

The thing that saved the day, surprisingly, was the Wii U Animal Crossing boardgame. It looked delightful! A bit of RPG-ing, playing with your Amiibo's, noodling around on a board... it's a laidback experience that looks kind of neat to while away an afternoon with.

A Four Swords game whose titular innovation is one fewer player is definitely not exciting, that was probably biggest dull thud of everything Nintendo announced, but the Metroid 3DS game seems kind of rad to me.

And online. It has online. Right? It has to. Anyway it looks great, one less player or no.

It's frustrating to see so much vitriol directed at Nintendo this year. I think people are forgetting the time of Ravi Drums and Wii Music. It's okay for Nintendo to not announce a huge "metagon", because at least they still have some stuff. And! They have their whole Nintendo Direct thing going on year round. This is by no means the only time to announce or show off some cool shit. Ugh.

I mean, a few things were really working against them:

They actually had a really strong showing last year with Splatoon being a surprise show favorite, so expectations were high this year.

Their mediocre E3 direct coming after a surprisingly fun Nintendo World Championship kind of had a deflating effect on Nintendo.

They're not helped by the game they hung their hat on the most, Star Fox Zero, having had some super negative hands-on buzz from the show.

I don't understand the hate for the Metroid game though, Next Level has been a good team for Nintendo and there is literally no way it will be more of an affront to that series than Other M was.

None of those "negatives" are actual negatives, though, besides the Star Fox thing, which eh, Star Fox has never been good, so whatever, also that's the first Star Fox that at least LOOKS fun.

A Four Swords game whose titular innovation is one fewer player is definitely not exciting, that was probably biggest dull thud of everything Nintendo announced, but the Metroid 3DS game seems kind of rad to me.

I can see three players fitting Zelda more than four, although you're still playing three Links instead of, like, Link, Zelda and maybe Nabooru? It'd be a bit weird for Ganondorf to be ont he same team.

ANYWAY apparently the chief selling point is that it's much more involved than Four Swords, so it's much more like a multiplayer dungeon where there are puzzles and you get stuck than Four Swords' crazy rupee grabs.

Why was The Devil's Third not shown at all in E3? Really weird to me still. Nintendo of Japan at least released last week a long video with Tomonobu Itakagi talking about the game.

Release date in Japan already 4th August.

None of those "negatives" are actual negatives, though, besides the Star Fox thing, which eh, Star Fox has never been good, so whatever, also that's the first Star Fox that at least LOOKS fun.

I didn't say they were, i'm just trying to put forth a few reasons why a fairly average showing out of Nintendo is being responded to so negatively.

Even though the audience isn't quite right, i personally think it probably would have served them well to put more of a spotlight on their upcoming slate of JRPG's, there's some exciting games on the way.

Oh, fair enough. My complaint was less "people are being negative" and more "people are being stupid", though, haha.

Are there any particular Snes classics on Wii U VC that you'd recommend? I'm getting a snes controller and feel like it's worth trying out a few classics with it. I've never owned or even played a snes. I have played the GBA versions of Mario World, LttP and Yoshi's Island so not those. Metroid's no.1 on the list, then I'm thinking Axelay?

I wasn't actually sure what's available for the SNES on the Wii U VC, so i looked into it and found that it's a disappointingly slim selection. It's unfortunate to see how much of what could be considered "essential" for the SNES is absent, but of what's there i'd recommend:

Axelay, as you suggest, is pretty damn rad. It's also a pretty uneven game, the mode 7 levels don't really hold up very well, but it's definitely one of the SNES's standout shmups.

Megaman X - X3 are kind of essential SNES games, imo. (The first one at the very least.) Megaman 7 too, i'd argue, i think it's a pretty under-appreciated entry in the classic series.

Earthbound, of course. It really is as good as people say it is. Definitely check it out.

The DKC games, but only if you're interested. People are so back and forth these days about whether or not those games hold up.

Super Mario World and A Link to the Past are definitely another couple of essential games.

I still think the original F-Zero is a ton of fun. (Protip: In addition to leaning into those sharp turns with the triggers, tap the accelerator rapidly to turn even more sharply and without losing speed.)

Uhh... Cybernator's real cool, i like that game a lot. Kirby's Dream Course is maybe the best minigolf game ever made.

I wouldn't really recommend anything else there, but a lot of that's going to be my own biases and interests, so maybe somebody else will step in with more. For real though, there isn't a lot there. (Looking into it though, the SNES wasn't very well represented on the Wii's VC either. I guess it was just less noticeable amongst other platforms being fairly well accounted for.)

Kirby's Dream Course is maybe the best minigolf game ever made.

I looked this up in a hurry but I don't think my eyes can handle it.

Kirby Super Star is my personal favorite Kirby game, although I haven't played any Kirby game since Amazing Mirror.

I like Super Punch-Out but it can be pretty frustrating if you don't want to look at guides or anything.

I have a personal fondness for Legend of the Mystical Ninja because I spent a lot of time playing that as a kid, but it's definitely not for everyone.  Even after all these years I still lack the full context for that game.

Cheers for the suggestions. Out of interest, what's missing from the VC lineup that you'd want to see?

Any games that used the Super FX chip are games that Nintendo seems to flatly refuse to try and emulate despite 3rd party emulation groups having been able to do so for years. Regardless, it means you can't buy stuff like Yoshi's Island or Star Fox. (I will argue that the SNES Star Fox is the only good Star Fox game, it's a legitimately great rail shooter despite the limited technology, and Yoshi's Island is probably among Nintendo's very best and most creatively unrestrained platformers.)

Square's games tend towards noticeably absent, generally believed to be because they have a lucrative business re-releasing those games on their own terms, but games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, and the SNES Final Fantasy games are all as essential to the SNES as any of Nintendo's own games. (Some of these are available on the Wii's VC, but it looks like none of them are available on Wii U VC. I'm also going to throw out some special attention for Secret of Mana, that's probably my favorite in that bunch.)

Those are probably the ones everybody would agree on to some degree.

The SNES has a ridiculously massive library of great games though, i could go on listing off personal favorites and it probably wouldn't look anything remotely like another person's list of SNES favorites. There's a fair argument for the SNES being one of the strongest platforms in the history of the medium.

You can get the GBA port of Yoshi's Island on WiiU VC at least. It's not perfect, but it will let you experience the game and you could remap the controls if you want.