BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Donkey Kong tried to apologise!

But yeah, I agree. The boss fights are structured around every boss taking 9 hits, and so three hits, three phases. Thankfully Retro decided that meant that they'd switch up strategies on every phase, so within a phase the attacks get more complex. Even then, though, there's so much thought put in, like with the polar bear boss knocking spiked blocks across the platform, and on one of them he winds up, pauses, then hits it, to mess up your timing once you got into a rhythm.

It took me like 20 times to get through the owl boss, but when I did it, oooooooh yeah. That game hurts me so good.

im on the "hard mode" playthrough now.  i wasn't great before...but now my wife thinks im really awful at this game

~20 lives on the walrus because i couldnt get my timing right on the 7th hit (big fish and spiney)

Remember DS games on Wii U? Whatever became of that? They announced it like a year ago, Japan got Brain Age for free last June, and they haven't said or done anything with the idea since then.

I think Europe got Brain Age for free too? I have it, at least and I'm not from Japan.

Yes I got Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training as well during last summer(?) and I also live in Europe.

I think it was some sort of test release, it does work really well on the gamepad tablet's screen.

I really do hope that they would manage to release GBA and DS games on 3DS and continue to release more games on Wii U for DS.

Just got during last weekend Batman Arkham Origins and The Wonderful 101 on discount from a local market. Price was nice, but I was ready to buy The Wonderful 101 with a much higher price. Kamiya-san really overdid himself with this game, it's just so damn awesome. I hope Platinum makes also other projects for Nintendo in the future, the quality of TW101 and Bayonetta is so high that these guys really know what they are doing.

Arkham Origins is a really weak port, they didn't even make use of the gamepad tablet much at all, just the tv off play is there. For example Batman Arkham City's port is so much better done. It's actually the most superior version of that game.

So then, Mario 3D World! I was very excited for it. Polished off both Sunshine and Galaxy 2 (what.a.game.) to make room for it. And it's... it's...

It's frustrating me. The controls that worked so well in 3D Land feel restrictive on the big screen. I'm finding it really difficult to judge jumps and position myself, something I had no problem with on 3DS probably due to the stereoscopy. The camera won't go where I want it to. I'm not great at 2D Mario and my lack of skill transfers to this whereas I was a bloody gymnast in Galaxy. I know my Waggle Defense Force thread went down like a fart in a submarine but goddamn it I'm missing that waggly spin jump! And this thing saves every 5 seconds and makes me confirm for some reason. And the little yellow line that fills in after you complete a level is really slow.

Should I be swapping characters? EVERYBODY loves this game. I'm on World-Castle and of course I'll complete it, but I bled 3D Land absolutely dry - everything with Mario and Luigi, all the flags, etc, 5 stars on the file - and right now I'm not even feeling like going back for all the stars!

Man, I just love the curved edges of the Wii U discs. I feel like it should be a bullet point feature on the box.

So then, Mario 3D World! I was very excited for it. Polished off both Sunshine and Galaxy 2 (what.a.game.) to make room for it. And it's... it's...

It's frustrating me. The controls that worked so well in 3D Land feel restrictive on the big screen. I'm finding it really difficult to judge jumps and position myself, something I had no problem with on 3DS probably due to the stereoscopy. The camera won't go where I want it to. I'm not great at 2D Mario and my lack of skill transfers to this whereas I was a bloody gymnast in Galaxy. I know my Waggle Defense Force thread went down like a fart in a submarine but goddamn it I'm missing that waggly spin jump! And this thing saves every 5 seconds and makes me confirm for some reason. And the little yellow line that fills in after you complete a level is really slow.

Should I be swapping characters? EVERYBODY loves this game. I'm on World-Castle and of course I'll complete it, but I bled 3D Land absolutely dry - everything with Mario and Luigi, all the flags, etc, 5 stars on the file - and right now I'm not even feeling like going back for all the stars!

I had the same problems with jumping in this game as well, and I also didn't had much trouble in 3D Land.

However, things just started to work in 3D World, specially after the bonus stages. When I completed all the bonus stages and decided to go back to get all the stars, all the levels were so freaking easy, it was so satisfying to see that I was mastering the game naturally by just playing it. This was the main reason why I kept wanting to get all the stars, it wasn't a hurdle at all.

So I suggest you to just keep playing, it will get better.

Yeah, hopefully it'll grow on me with time. It's beautiful but I'm irritated that I'm near the 'end' and I haven't enjoyed it half as much as revisiting Galaxy 2. I'm jonesing for some wall-jump long-jump spin-jump acrobatics. This feels like I'm trudging through soup, as if the limited movements of the level select map have infected the game proper.

#Galaxy3

Yeah I liked 3D World (when I played through the first few worlds with a friend), but it's no Galaxy.

I don't think it's possible to top Galaxy without just making another Galaxy.

I don't think you can make a fair comparison of 3D World and Galaxy, by ... only playing the first few (baby) worlds with a friend...

...you baby.

I actually had the same problems with both Galaxy and 3D World.  I just couldn't get the hang of the movement.  I remember being really good at Mario 64, able to execute pretty much whatever move I wanted and have it work out exactly like I intended, but apparently between that time and Galaxy I lost those skills and now I'm an idiot who runs into goombas.

I don't think you can make a fair comparison of 3D World and Galaxy, by ... only playing the first few (baby) worlds with a friend...

...you baby.

Sure I can. 3D World lacks planetoids. QED.

Maybe the planetoids show up just after those (baby) worlds you played? You'll never know.

I like this new thread title. Can we tag this thread "curved edges"?

Also, Twig, as someone who pretty much cleared both games, Super Mario 3D World gets balls-hard. You're right that the weird slow, almost digital movement feels very different from Galaxy; but I think it's better suited to 3D World's very geometric and precise environments.

I still prefer the movement in Mario 64 to both of them, though. I replay that game occasionally and it's still second nature to me.

Oh, I don't particularly care about difficulty. Mario games aren't hard to me, and haven't been for many years. I don't even think it's about the feel of the movement. It's about the pure, ecstatic glee I experienced from the moment I first started playing Galaxy (and Galaxy 2), that 3D World didn't even approach.

I like this new thread title.

I finally changed it so that I could view this thread on my phone, apparently it doesn't like threads with weird characters in the name..

Do I get any points by registering the Wii U?

I don't have any idea of how many points I have. Besides a couple of games for the 3DS and Bayonetta 2, all my games were purchased on the eShop. Do I get any points on those?

You have to register a Club Nintendo account and associate it to the console before you buy anything if you want to get credit. Once it's registered, then all eShop purchases show up automatically. Consoles can be registered for like 100-200 points.

I'm kinda paralyzed by choice, but I don't have so so many points (like 600) so there's only so many options at hand. I think I'll go ahead and get Super Metroid since I'm almost 100% sure I was going to buy it anyways, but that disqualifies any retail Wii U or 3DS titles that I'd be interested in like Wonderful 101 or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. Though at this point, the full titles that are up for grabs are generally budget offerings so I'm leaning towards getting what I want most over what is "worth" the most.

You have to register a Club Nintendo account and associate it to the console before you buy anything if you want to get credit. Once it's registered, then all eShop purchases show up automatically. Consoles can be registered for like 100-200 points.

I'm kinda paralyzed by choice, but I don't have so so many points (like 600) so there's only so many options at hand. I think I'll go ahead and get Super Metroid since I'm almost 100% sure I was going to buy it anyways, but that disqualifies any retail Wii U or 3DS titles that I'd be interested in like Wonderful 101 or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. Though at this point, the full titles that are up for grabs are generally budget offerings so I'm leaning towards getting what I want most over what is "worth" the most.

I really wish I knew that you had to register first when I got my 3DS/Wii U.  I had a couple of eShop purchases that I could have gotten credit for had I known that in advance.  I think it's dumb that you can't get the credit later once you associate the account with it but I guess there's no point in complaining now.

I'm also leaning toward the same thoughts with regard to my coins.  I have even fewer than you (500) so I'm slightly more limited.  I'm probably going to get Super Metroid as well, and maybe a 3DS game.  If I had 100 more, I'd probably get three 200 coin things instead of two.  Also I find it interesting that Super Metroid for Wii U is 200 while Super Metroid for Wii is 250.

Man, I've got a decent amount of points on the EU one, but there aren't any good offerings like games. Just random junk like badges or sleeping masks.

Fucking sleeping masks!

Once again the Club Nintendo website is totally hammered by traffic, color me unsurprised.

I'm currently thinking about getting Super Metroid (Wii U), Earthbound (Wii U), and Link's Awakening DX (3DS). That'd be 650 points IIRC, I can't remember exactly how many I have but if I'm short I might just buy a sufficiently coin-rewarding game on the eShop to make it work. I've never played Earthbound or Link's Awakening, so they both seem worth grabbing.