BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

he does look a little like mr bean though

(best of luck with the stone)

No fucking joke, I am in the hospital right now with a 6mm kidney stone. If this kidney stone doesn't kill me, the irony of my last post in this thread will.

Wat?!! That's insane! It seems God is really fond of those Mario levels and punished you for this weird blasphemy.

I hope you get well soon!

Zues, seriously man, hope you get better soon.  I'd never actually known someone who had passed one personally, but a friend just went through it over Christmas.  It was like he'd gone 10 rounds with a boxing champ, bunch of broke blood vessels in his face and eyes from puking from the pain. 

get well soon!

You've just gotten to the best past of 3DW. I'm not great at platformers, so I really enjoyed the early levels too, but the rush I got from beating those later levels was akin to killing a boss in Dark Souls.

I hope you beat it solo, it'll give me hope to try again.

So i put ~40-50 tries into this last night.  I spent a good portion of that as peach thinking the float effect would help me through the second zone w/the blue/pink flipping blocks.  I then went seeking tanooki suits and mario for faster jumps and had much more success.  A few tries in i was actually at the last zone w/the boost pads but mucked it up anyways

it is certainly possible solo and will give it another go this week.  i did have google a 1-Up farming trick, so over 1k lives should suffice to finish this level once (lvl 1-2 has a 2-block wide zone that you can shoot a shell and jump for infinite lives)

So i put ~40-50 tries into this last night.  I spent a good portion of that as peach thinking the float effect would help me through the second zone w/the blue/pink flipping blocks.  I then went seeking tanooki suits and mario for faster jumps and had much more success.  A few tries in i was actually at the last zone w/the boost pads but mucked it up anyways

it is certainly possible solo and will give it another go this week.  i did have google a 1-Up farming trick, so over 1k lives should suffice to finish this level once (lvl 1-2 has a 2-block wide zone that you can shoot a shell and jump for infinite lives)

Yeah, saying it's not possible is hyperbole. I tried peach+tanooki, peach+cat, luigi+tanooki and luigi+cat. Never made it past the blue/pink flipping blocks. The worst part is that by the time I get there, I'm stressed out and focussing so hard on not making a mistake, that I always make a mistake. 

oh of course, but its not that far off, if i was 8-12yrs old i would have abandoned ship (thats the target demo for this right?)

i spent the first dozen tries trying to figure out the best way past the organic cannon shooters, add in the football guys - if not focused on the run might not even make it to the pink/blue blocks.  

it doesnt get any easier after that.  makes me really happy that the end of this great game with varied and creative normal worlds and the superbly challenging bonus areas - that there is this giant middle finger of a last level

I'm desperate to try out Tropical Freeze, and hopefully build up my platforming skills before I attempt that level again.

Oh, Tropical Freeze will build up your platforming skills all right. I think it's the best platform game I've played since Banjo-Kazooie, but holy shit it's difficult in the later worlds — just like its predecessors, I guess. Fortunately the endlessly gorgeous soundtrack and level settings (I'm in a juicy fruit sunset world now!) keeps me going.

i finished my first playthrough, i am intimidated & waiting to start the Hard-Mode.  i anticipate that it will be rage inducing

Oh, Tropical Freeze will build up your platforming skills all right. I think it's the best platform game I've played since Banjo-Kazooie, but holy shit it's difficult in the later worlds — just like its predecessors, I guess. Fortunately the endlessly gorgeous soundtrack and level settings (I'm in a juicy fruit sunset world now!) keeps me going.

Did you play Rayman Legends? Because thus far I'm putting Legends up over Tropical Freeze, but I haven't done any of the time trials yet.

I'm currently playing Rayman but it's only coop with my partner. She seems to have lost interest in it (and only cares about Binding of Isaac now) so i doubt I'll ever finish it. It's damn good though, but I've not come across anything incredibly difficult.

So, no discussion here yet about Nintendo globally closing Club Nintendo later this year? I think it's a great move. Club Nintendo was total bullshit especially in Europe through it's whole existence.

Only a few countries had it instead of all European gamers, whole North Europe was almost completely shafted. The only fruits we got out of it came last year with the Mario Kart 8 bonus game promotion and Hyrule Warriors preorder DLC.

I for one am hoping that some great things come out in September when they unveil the new system/program. I am hoping for a one unified Nintendo Premium service for all regions. Or at least one unified one for the whole Europe. Could be that they are building something like PS+, but with a Nintendo twist.

Oh, wow I didn't know they were closing it. I suuuuuure hope that means a new thing that we Europeans can *actually* use, thank you please.

There was discussion of club nintendo over on the business side of video games thread.

I personally will miss Club Nintendo, as it wasn't something that other games companies did, and it felt unique and I liked that. I didn't know it wasn't synonymous over Europe though, that sucks. I did get a couple of free games from club nintendo, plus some cool nintendo tat. 

Club Nintendo was pretty fun in essence, I think I got a Mario Galaxy CD out of it and a t-shirt, but that was basically all. In recent years I stopped even inputting the codes, giving them to a friend instead.

I'm currently playing Rayman but it's only coop with my partner. She seems to have lost interest in it (and only cares about Binding of Isaac now) so i doubt I'll ever finish it. It's damn good though, but I've not come across anything incredibly difficult.

Oh, it's in there. Some of the invasion levels are nasty, and if you go for full awesomeness, some of the later sections of the challenge levels are downright cruel (as they should be: they sort the wheat from the chaff)

I don't get how Nintendo games hold their price for so long. I was in my local supermarket, and noticed all those Ps4/Xbone games released in November are between 33%-50% off their original price (with Drive Club being only £25! Almost enough to tempt me to buy the broken game). DK Tropical Freeze on the other hand is still full price despite coming out in February(?) last year. 

I honestly had no interest in Tropical Freeze watching its video reviews. But then I watched playthrougs without any commentary and got the charm of it - the soundtrack is essential to the overall feel of the game, I guess, so fucking beautiful.

Nintendo games never lose their value. It's equally frustrating as it is a genius move on their part. It's no use waiting half a year to wait for prices to drop: they never do unless Nintendo release a 'classics' version of the game.

It does make it a lot easier to decide to buy a Nintendo game when it goes on sale. Smash is $41 at Walmart right now, which I estimate is probably the best or close to the best it's going to get for months if not years. Granted, I decided not to buy it as I don't get a lot of local co-op opportunities but I didn't waver on price or anything as transient as that.