BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

You can actually play Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the gamepad!

It's just that you would also still need the Wiimote and Nunchuck, with the gamepad standing in for your TV and Wii Sensor Bar.

I'm looking for those wiimotes, and then there are these ones with Motionplus that are way more expensive than the usual ones. Should I get one of those or the cheap ones are good for everything?

If I end up needing one with Motionplus, I'll probably just buy it used, new ones are crazy expensive.

You need the Motion Plus for Wii U stuff. These specific games might be fine with the original Wiimote since they're presumably straight ports of Wii games that didn't require the Plus, but in the long run you'll want the Plus model.

You need the Motion Plus for Wii U stuff. These specific games might be fine with the original Wiimote since they're presumably straight ports of Wii games that didn't require the Plus, but in the long run you'll want the Plus model.

It actually depends on the game whether or not Motion Plus is required.  I know Smash and Mario Kart allow non-Motion Plus Wiimotes.

I actually thought Motion Plus was required on everything from what I heard (and missed out on a night of some Smash Bros because I thought we only had the 2 Wii U controllers and didn't bother to actually try out the Wiimotes), but the old style work just fine.

It's safer to have Motion Plus, because then you don't run into things where your controllers don't work because they require it.  Although you might check the price on those motion plus adapters if the price difference is significant enough, that might be cheaper.

Yeah, played 8 player Smash on New Years Eve, three people used standard (non-plus) Wiimotes and nunchucks and it worked fine.

So I guess I need to find a storage solution for my Wii U with all of this shit coming out. What do people recommend?

I've been looking for official wiimotes/nunchucks and they're damn expensive new, totalling about £40-50 on amazon. I recently bought unofficial ones from CEX (a second hand shop) and while the total cost was £5, they both broke within a week. You could feel the poor quality of the build too when using them. Apparently you can get them from the US nintendo store, refurbished for quite cheap, but I can't seem to find them on the UK one. 

I don't think any brick&mortar game stores even stock wii stuff any more. Those things that some people have 4 of hidden away are now incredibly expensive and quite difficult to find. All because I want to try Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

Edit: Also, it's like Nintendo heard me complain about £100 Metroid Prime Trilogy from ebay, and decided to offer it for £9 for a short amount of time. That's fucking awesome.

I've been looking for official wiimotes/nunchucks and they're damn expensive new, totalling about £40-50 on amazon. I recently bought unofficial ones from CEX (a second hand shop) and while the total cost was £5, they both broke within a week. You could feel the poor quality of the build too when using them. Apparently you can get them from the US nintendo store, refurbished for quite cheap, but I can't seem to find them on the UK one.

I don't think any brick&mortar game stores even stock wii stuff any more. Those things that some people have 4 of hidden away are now incredibly expensive and quite difficult to find. All because I want to try Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

Edit: Also, it's like Nintendo heard me complain about £100 Metroid Prime Trilogy from ebay, and decided to offer it for £9 for a short amount of time. That's fucking awesome.

Good to know, will skip the generic controllers.

I just decided to wait a bit before buying the wiimote, I'm not in a big hurry to play another Mario game, affter playing 3D World and 3D Land. Specially after getting my ass kicked so many times at Champion's Road - I feel your pain Griddlelol.

I just realized that I'd spend far less money just buying one Wii U game, and I was able to find a really good deal on Zelda Wind Waker HD. Next month I'll buy those controllers.

You can actually play Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the gamepad!

It's just that you would also still need the Wiimote and Nunchuck, with the gamepad standing in for your TV and Wii Sensor Bar.

Ugh. What do the Galaxy games even do that requires this? The Wii U Gamepad seems like it could completely stand in for the Wiimote and Nunchuck. A finger could approximate the pointing.

I think it is literally just collecting those star bits. Which is a pretty lame use for motion controls. 

Kaputt, did you beat champions road? I'm convinced it's impossible in single player. Unless you have the reactions of a god.

It's been a while since I all but completed SM3DW, so I'm pretty excited to play another Mario game, although I'm probably going to be in a little shock since Galaxy is meant to be very different from 3DW. 

eBay seems to have a bunch of people selling official stuff for relatively cheap, much cheaper than brand new at least.

I think it is literally just collecting those star bits. Which is a pretty lame use for motion controls. 

And you have to shake the wiimote to do a spin. Galaxy is fucking fantastic. I wish they had the first one too, because I felt like I hardly touched that game.

Kaputt, did you beat champions road? I'm convinced it's impossible in single player. Unless you have the reactions of a god.

im late to the party...but i just finished the first "half" of the SMB3DW and going to start the bonus ones this weekend.  I've been taking it slow, doing a world at a time every few days - and alternating with Commander Toad which is also a blast

the "impossible" solo tag makes me very excited, i'll report back after done

the "impossible" solo tag makes me very excited, i'll report back after done

You've just gotten to the best past of 3DW. I'm not great at platformers, so I really enjoyed the early levels too, but the rush I got from beating those later levels was akin to killing a boss in Dark Souls.

I hope you beat it solo, it'll give me hope to try again. 

And you have to shake the wiimote to do a spin. Galaxy is fucking fantastic. I wish they had the first one too, because I felt like I hardly touched that game.

Oh OK, that's cool. I'm definitely going to get 1/2. I'm kinda irritated they released 2 on WiiU first, I don't want to play them out of order. Or is 1 OK to go back to after 2? 

It's a Mario game, you can play all of them in any order you want!

Motion controls in Galaxy are fantastic.

You can also shoot at things with the star bits.

I did actually prefer Galaxy 1, because Nintendo put a lot of work into the set-up that led to a fucking fantastic intro and overworld. Galaxy 2 was still great, but more refined as red-hot gameplay with even less exposition and out-of-level content than usual.

I would say that it's better to start with #1 as the sequel expands on many things and part of the fun is things going in surprising new ways compared to what you might expect. But still, it's no biggie.

Motion controls in Galaxy are stupid.

Wow, I can't believe you just admitted that. Now I don't have to argue with you anymore on IRC. :tup:

Oh god I forgot about that. The music was sweet on that level though.

So Nintendo put out an anime channel and don't include the f zero anime? That franchise is dead to them.

The star bits stuff was fine, but remember those levels where you had to hold the controller vertically to move Mario on that ball? Yuck.

The rolling ball thing in the lava world was one of the most infuriating goddamn things I've ever experienced. Everything else about that game was pretty great but I would rather pass another kidney stone than do that again.

That is of course a lie. Fuck kidney stones.

Now I don't have to argue with you anymore on IRC. :tup:

So you've finally come around, eh? Glad you've seen the light. Let's all rejoice in the greatness of SMG waggle*! Hurray! Hurray!

*Actually I'd forgotten about the rolling ball**. That's pretty fuckin' awful. Won't even pretend.

**Oh wow OH WOW I hope they release Kororinpa on the Wee Woo Wii VC. I'll buy the shit out of that game. Secret best Wii game.

I didn't, 60 lives wasted and no success. I play on trying again though, it feels possible, just incredibly hard. It's a stage I. Which you really have to plan things and memorize how things works, because one mistake and that's it.

I feel encouraged to finish it because mastering 3d world was the best thing about it, it was really rewarding when you visit past stages and you realize how better at the game you become. I feel that finishing champions world would be a closure to this "learning process".

The rolling ball thing in the lava world was one of the most infuriating goddamn things I've ever experienced. Everything else about that game was pretty great but I would rather pass another kidney stone than do that again.

That is of course a lie. Fuck kidney stones.

No fucking joke, I am in the hospital right now with a 6mm kidney stone. If this kidney stone doesn't kill me, the irony of my last post in this thread will.

Wow I never realized how much I built my mental image of you off of Urkel.

Ow! Hope everything goes okay!

Though, for SCIENCE, surely the most crucial piece of missing equipment at your bedside is a Wii connected up to a monitor so you can play the rolling ball thing in the lava world, no?

Ow! Hope everything goes okay!

Though, for SCIENCE, surely the most crucial piece of missing equipment at your bedside is a Wii connected up to a monitor so you can play the rolling ball thing in the lava world, no?

That's the first thing I'm doing when I get home. Twig was right, motion controls in Mario Galaxy are actually really good. Even the rolling ball one. May the Mario gods forgive my foolishness.