BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

It's such a lame thing to put me off a game. I just find it really hard to maintain immersion when the characters are doing something that looks so incredibly wrong. If it was abstracted to the point that they were sprites on a map, I wouldn't care, but coupled with that level of realism makes it feel gross.

I'll probably get it anyway...2015 is going to be a fantastic year by the looks of things.

If all these games stay on track, by Spring 2015 I think the Wii U will be the biggest steal in gaming. A $300 console with all those games available, growing indie support, backwards compatibility with a huge Wii library, and a colossal VC service? Hot dang.

It's already the console with the largest number of interesting-looking games that I can't play on my PC.

It's so weird to me how that last point doesn't seem to matter, sales wise. I guess it's probably a good thing for consumers that "Exclusives" don't matter anymore, but it's still weird that they genuinely don't seem to matter anymore.

Damn, that Captain Falcon Mii outfit makes me want to get the amiibo. But looking at the production versions makes me question it. I'm not sure what possessed them to model the characters in such positions. Sure, the prototypes look kinetic and great but they're obviously going to get sat on. The Yoshi one looks quite cute and true to the prototype. They're going for €9.85 on amazon.es so I might pick him up.

I've got a proposition for any EU-based thumbs - it might sound suspect but I assure you it's simply a mild case of OCD that I'd like to satisfy. A year or two ago I was back home (UK) and saw Wii Play: Motion in a local supermarket for £10. This included a red Wii Remote Plus (with the inbuilt Motionplus). I only had the gold version that came with Skyward Sword and they're around £35 individually so I grabbed it. There was also another one so, thinking rationally, I grabbed that one too and ran to the checkout. Result! However, I've had two red Wii Remote Pluses ever since. Which is fine, but. Well, you know. It's fine, but. It's, er... *twitches*

Would anyone like to swap a red Wii Remote Plus for a not-red Wii Remote Plus? I suppose black would be the most common colour, but anything except gold and white would be great. Red is sexy and beautiful and my favourite. But I've got two.

I own a Wii U now. Mario 3D world bundle. First (and so far likely only) current gen console!

Congratulations! As a person who bought a WiiU early on, and has been happy with it ever since, I'm always excited when people buy the console. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I think it's going to serve you well.

ALSO, I am thinking of buying Hyrule Warriors, because I have a buddy who expressed interest in co-op. Does anyone have any opinions on that front? 

Co-op definitely made the game more fun in my eyes, despite the noticeable drop in performance. It's nice to say "OK, I'll capture this base, you hold off the invaders from the west." I played through the whole campain co-op with my girlfriend. 

Co-op definitely made the game more fun in my eyes, despite the noticeable drop in performance. It's nice to say "OK, I'll capture this base, you hold off the invaders from the west." I played through the whole campain co-op with my girlfriend. 

Hermie, that is exactly what I am hoping for out of the experience, except replace girlfriend with friend friend. I think I'll pick it up this afternoon. LOOK AT HOW EASY THAT WAS

It's already the console with the largest number of interesting-looking games that I can't play on my PC.

It's so weird to me how that last point doesn't seem to matter, sales wise. I guess it's probably a good thing for consumers that "Exclusives" don't matter anymore, but it's still weird that they genuinely don't seem to matter anymore.

Exactly the reason I bought a Wii U, while I care not for xbone and ps4...

... at least until Bloodborne comes out.

I think exclusives still matter but I think Nintendo's problem is third party support is garbage on the Wii U, which matters a lot more to people who only play games on a single console.

Experience with the Wii U has been positive so far. As a game playing device it's really solid: I like the gamepad a lot, it feels surprisingly good and the ability to play when the TV is being used for something else has already proven useful. Super Mario 3D World is pretty good... it's cutesier than I expected, which is dumb, because I dunno what else I should've expected from a game with cartoon men in catsuits. But I don't mind cutesy! I'm not the hugest fan of the music, though, which is charming at first but reminds me of Japanese supermarket music and gets old way fast. I wish there was a bundle with the new DK Country game; I think I'd enjoy that one more based on music alone.

The not-game-playing parts of the system are a bit disappointing, but it's OK since I wasn't betting on using the Wii U for any of its non-game features. For example, the Netflix app is frustratingly bad. I was half hoping to start using my Wii U for all my streaming services, and I guess technically I can, but I'm likely to continue to use the PS3 Netflix app (which also isn't great, but at least supports separate profiles). And after thinking about it, this is no real loss anyway: I'm now more likely to use my Wii U for games on the pad screen while my girlfriend watches Netflix on the PS3 (or vice versa).

I ended up disabling miiverse from parental controls because I found random notes from people annoying rather than charming. I might turn it back on later and give it another chance.

Isn't the PS3 Netflix app the universal one that all devices should get? I remember them making a big deal about that when they overhauled it. The Wii U one is indeed an absolute travesty, especially considering that the game pad could enable it to work really well. I'm unsure why it doesn't have the same UI found on other platforms.

That's it! I'm part of the club now. Just bought a Wii U! Now I wait until it arrives.

Man, it feels super weird. Buying a console used to be a big deal when I didn't work, but now, with a regular salary, I just kinda impulse bought it (even when my definition of "impulse buy' means thinking about it over a week). Just easy as that.

I don't kno . I think I just have some kind of guilt when spending too much money on video games. But I shouldn't, the Wii U library is gettinggreat for me to just to ignore.

Being an adult with expendable income is super weird. My recent promotion means that I'm not just making an entry level pittance, so I can actually afford to treat myself and not feel bad about it. I just saw that the Wii U Deluxe with Nintendoland is $200 refurbished on the Nintendo Store and I thought to myself, "I can probably just buy that with my first paycheck in December."

Isn't the PS3 Netflix app the universal one that all devices should get? I remember them making a big deal about that when they overhauled it. The Wii U one is indeed an absolute travesty, especially considering that the game pad could enable it to work really well. I'm unsure why it doesn't have the same UI found on other platforms.

Yeah, the PS3 Netflix app is the one that should theoretically roll out to all top-tier devices like the Roku 3 and all the consoles. I really don't know why it's not a greater priority for Nintendo to have the latest and greatest as far as video content is concerned, as it's uniquely positioned as the lowest priced out of the current consoles plus the one most normal people without tech fetishes are likely to own (at least in my perception). I'm pretty sure the platform holder has to commit some amount of resources to make that app come to the platform, but I do think that Netflix bears some/most of that load so they can insure a consistent experience.

I hope the Wii U Netflix app never gets updated because it's the only one that doesn't squash the credits into a tiny box and try to play something else if you don't stop it within 15 seconds.

Oh yeah, that's another bonus; I can fall asleep while watching an episode and it will go idle and turn itself off when it's over, rather than continuing to waste power and bandwidth playing additional episodes while I'm sleeping.

Damn, preowned Nintendo Games prices are ridiculous! At least here in Brazil. It's shocking coming from PC gaming to this.

I hope the Wii U Netflix app never gets updated because it's the only one that doesn't squash the credits into a tiny box and try to play something else if you don't stop it within 15 seconds.

You can't disable the shrinking — although it's easy enough to restore the full-size credits — but the skip-to-next-episode stuff is an app setting on the PS3 at least.

Damn, preowned Nintendo Games prices are ridiculous! At least here in Brazil. It's shocking coming from PC gaming to this.

Nintendo games pretty much never drop in price.

I notice they're being a lot more realistic about the huge transparent plastic bits in the new Amiibo pictures.

Still waiting on Mr. Game & Watch.

Two things:

1) I really wish the Wii U Netflix app had the ability to switch profiles, since my housemate uses it constantly (like, every day), to watch as many teen paranormal romance tv shows as she can. And now I get weird suggestions.

2) Best Buy is running a Wii U Black Friday bundle deal that is ludicrous:

"32GB Wii U bundled with Super Mario 3D World, NintendoLand, Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Donkey Kong Country Tropical for $359.97"

That's Christmas, right there. "Merry Christmas, kids, we are the best parents ever."

HEY GUYS

REMEMBER THIS?

Don't worry guys, Sonic's getting a crazy awesome re-do for 2014! And a new 'wacky' 'hilarious' and 'goofy' character - Trixie the Badger! Kill me!

27579-sonic-boom-trailer-di-sticks_jpg_1

Well the review copies are out and

Wait, I don't understand that badger character model. Is that hair, or tentacles? Where does her head end and the various attachments begin?