BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I really want to buy a Wii U, but I do need to make much better financial decisions...

But Bayonetta 2 seems like a fantastic financial decision right now. Damn.

Excellent, thanks for that. I'd definitely like to go back to the original after a break. I think it'll be easier than going back and playing something like Dark Souls after starting with the sequel. That's another thing I'd like to do in theory, but in practice it ain't gonna happen. I don't have the stamina for another 100 hours of tension and pain. Bayonetta seems a little less foreboding.

Now just to wait for my Wii U bundle to turn up! I love the smell of new hardware.

I've just finished Bayonetta 2! It's fantastic. As far as the story goes, it'd probably be a bit confusing at first if you haven't played the first game, but it should make sense half-way through the final boss battle. Also given the ending, it doesn't matter which one you play first, as

It's both a sequel and a prequel to Bayonetta 1. Thanks Bayonetta.

As far as the fighting mechanics go, it feels relatively unchanged from the first and the second one. The main difference is the Umbran Climax, which is effectively a timed damage multiplier, which slowly drains a bar of magic, which isn't in the first one. There are also some new weapons, which is to be expected, but nothing radical that'll change the flow of the gameplay.

It's also not that long, pegging in at roughly 15 hours in my first playthrough, but I'm going to replay it on a higher difficulty, as I missed loads of stuff, and there's loads to unlock too. Ugh this game is good, but I do feel it misses some of the bombast that was in the first game.

So...money's tight. I'm planning my November purchase and I'm torn between SSB and Bayonetta. 

SSB won't go down in price for a while, but will probably have an active community for a while. Bayonetta looks amazing, is 2 games in one, and I find myself far more interested in single player games. However, I'm not sure if this is a game I'll be comfortable playing in front of my other half.

Any opinions on this?

That's only a problem if she's very prudish. There's some gratuitous angles that made me wrinkle my nose, but most of the game is just a beautiful mess of weapons and particle-effects. Try checking out the Giant Bomb quick look or other gameplay videos first.

I'd go for Bayonetta if you're more interested in a single player experience. I played it through this weekend and had a blast, and after finishing the story I'm hungry to go back in and unlock more stuff and get better medals.

Super Smash Kart is a thing that needs to happen.

It's already weird enough that Donkey Kong is still somehow considered part of the Mario universe. Just fucking throw everybody in.

Or alternatively, make a cross-compatible karting game for every Nintendo franchise.

Animal Karting.

Pokékarts.

Xenokart Chronicles.

Well, Donkey Kong and Mario were in their first ever game together right? I guess that implies they're in the same universe.

Let us take this opportunity to once again acknowledge how good Diddy Kong Racing was.

So...money's tight. I'm planning my November purchase and I'm torn between SSB and Bayonetta. 

SSB won't go down in price for a while, but will probably have an active community for a while. Bayonetta looks amazing, is 2 games in one, and I find myself far more interested in single player games. However, I'm not sure if this is a game I'll be comfortable playing in front of my other half.

Any opinions on this?

If it helps, i played it in front of my other half, and she enjoyed it. Although she also wanted to see it, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

There is certainly a lot of stuff that's there beyond Bayonetta's butt. But then again I'm pretty biased, as I'm a huge fan of the series. Did I mention it's the best? because it totally is.

I'll probably go with bayonetta. Smash can be there waiting for my December pay cheque. It's just a difficult choice: two games from a fantastic character action game developer, or the next instalment only fighting game I've ever really gotten in to.

Let us take this opportunity to once again acknowledge how good Diddy Kong Racing was.

SO GOOD.

Man, so I bought Wonderful 101 back when it came out but didn't really have a chance to get into it. I found the controls kind of frustrating and just couldn't go for it. In my anticipation for Bayonetta last week, I decided to give it another whirl. This time, I broke a rule that I try to stick by. The rule? If you have to look up video tutorials for how to play a game to enjoy playing it, it's probably not a good game. I looked up some stuff about blocking and tried to figure out why I couldn't interact with certain prompts (turns out I had to be in the proper "unite" form to interact. Red prompts can only interact with Unite Hand, Yellow with Hammer, etc) and since then I've finished a third of the game.

I've had Bayonetta sitting on my coffee table for 4 days now, but fuck it I want to finish 101 now. This game is BONKERS. In all the right ways. I still am psyched for Bayonetta, but the appeal of that game for me is mostly in how fucking crazy it gets, and Wonderful 101 is also fucking crazy but doesn't skeeze me out the way that Bayonetta does. I would play this game in front of my girlfriend. I would not play Bayonetta in front of her. And Wonderful 101 scratches the same itch. I'm starting to wonder a bit now if I'll end up liking this more than Bayonetta just because of the skeeze factor. Dunno. The important thing is, if you have not played Wonderful 101, you probably should.

Man, so I bought Wonderful 101 back when it came out but didn't really have a chance to get into it. I found the controls kind of frustrating and just couldn't go for it. In my anticipation for Bayonetta last week, I decided to give it another whirl. This time, I broke a rule that I try to stick by. The rule? If you have to look up video tutorials for how to play a game to enjoy playing it, it's probably not a good game. I looked up some stuff about blocking and tried to figure out why I couldn't interact with certain prompts (turns out I had to be in the proper "unite" form to interact. Red prompts can only interact with Unite Hand, Yellow with Hammer, etc) and since then I've finished a third of the game.

W101 is such a great game hidden behind a wall of no explanations. Personally I didn't get stuck at the colour coding part, but each time you learn a new move for a weapon, it's not explained how to use that. I think platinum games require a guide for the combat, just do you understand what the hell you're supposed to do.

This time, I broke a rule that I try to stick by. The rule? If you have to look up video tutorials for how to play a game to enjoy playing it, it's probably not a good game.

This rule makes me sad. So many amazing games are hidden behind bad or non-existent documentation or in-game tutorials. It's not like I can argue with it, though; why should I invest in a game that can't be bothered to explain itself?

(because the game might be a Minecraft or a KSP or a Crusader Kings, is the answer to that question)

Dota dang.

I'd honestly rather have no tutorial ever than the typical Nintendo over-tutorialization and ever-present-handholdiness experience. They've been getting better about that but maaaaaan.

Zelda is the litmus test for me. Those tutorials have been getting worse and worse and worse. Not played LBW, but it's supposed to be much better, right?!

It's much, much better. I can't remember much tutorializing at all (although I'm sure there was some).

After Skyward Sword, the only direction was up, really.

Yeah the tutorial in that is entirely optional. I can't remember exactly, but I think the guy just asks if you've done it before (it being heroing as Link).

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has taken in the consumer feedback on this stuff, and hopefully noticed how much people love developers like Platinum and FromSoftware despite those two ignoring tutorials.

I've not been excited for a Zelda game for a long time, but LBW has made me super excited for zeldaU

This rule makes me sad. So many amazing games are hidden behind bad or non-existent documentation or in-game tutorials. It's not like I can argue with it, though; why should I invest in a game that can't be bothered to explain itself?

(because the game might be a Minecraft or a KSP or a Crusader Kings, is the answer to that question)

I barely have time to play games that explain themselves well. I don't have time to do background reading. I'm playing to relax, not to study. If a game frustrates me in a way that seems unfair or that I need a guide to get through, I'm out.

Speaking of Nintendo surprisingly taking customer feedback to heart, this is from this week's shareholder meeting:

Puga4z7.png

That's obviously not a guarantee that they'd ever make things region free, but I appreciate how surprisingly honest this is.

I'd rather them fix their fucking archaic save backup methods and inability to link purchases and games to an account instead of a system. That's what's way more alarming to me these days.

Maybe it's because my friend was recently burglarized and he lost 600 hours worth of Pokemon as well as his WiiU and all downloads, saves, and purchases.

Of all of the ancient gaming practices Nintendo still involves itself in, region locking is at the bottom of the list of priorities for me.

Can't do nothin' 'bout the saves, but you can get all your purchases back if you buy a new system. You have to give them a copy of the police report, though.

Well, I think they "refund" all the money you spent, or at least that's how they handled my stolen 3DS. I complained about the same thing at the time I had to deal with that and someone I know was all "They wouldn't give you a new car if that got stolen, so why should they let you get your games back," and I just wow.

Anyway.

Your friend isn't COMPLETELY out of options!!! RIGHT?!!!

I know this isn't the OG Wii thread, but I figured I'd ask here (and it's conveniently relevant to the syn's post complaining about bullshit Nintendo policies)... I don't have a monitor/screen with a component port for my Wii. I'd like to move all my Wii purchases to my Wii U. So I need an HDMI converter, which is inconveniently more than a few bucks, but I'm not going to get a real TV for a while still, soooo, you know.

Anybody have an HDMI converter for Wii? Is there such thing as a poor-quality one that I should worry about? Or should I just go cheapest I can find? I can imagine a converter that corrupts the signal and makes it really shitty, but I don't know.

I'd love to play my older VC purchases on Wii U controller. Speaking of... does that cost money? I think I remember reading back when the Wii U was released that there was a conversion fee... Gosh I sure hope not!

EDIT: Oh, and I long ago modded my Wii (specifically to be able to turn off dumb annoying text boxes in Skyward Sword U: ). Is... is that going to be a problem?