BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I need a recommendation from any lurking Bayonetta veterans. I've never played it before and my instinct is to jump into the new one first, and then go back to the original if I fancy it because I don't think I'll be missing much in the way of story. If the first game is a 20 hour+ slog I don't think I can stomach two games' worth of witchtime - I'd rather do the 2nd while it's hot off the press and then maybe go back to the original in the future. Is this a massive mistake?

Not really, but you'll have the classic dilemma of "the controls are better in 2 and now 1 is harder to stomach ugghghh"

We're not talking Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 1 level, which I think is the best "modern AAA" example (THAT MANDATORY SIXAXIS GRENADE TOSS), but it's still a little wonky in comparison. If you're planning on taking a decent enough break between the two, I'd say do that. Bayonetta's plot is Classic Kamiya, which is to say it either can be summed up in about two paragraphs on Wikipedia, or overanalyzed to death. You won't be missing much by way of that, but damned if both 1 and 2 aren't just crazy fun action games.

IN SUMMATION

Play 2. Do it, do it, do it.

I've been continuing to play through NSMBU. It continues to be better than I expected. I've almost finished the main game, although I noticed today that it counts the flag poles I've hit at the top, and not noticed a way to distinguish between the two states on the map, and that's going to drive me crazy unless it reveals itself to me after I beat the game or something. D:

And then there's Luigi U, which I haven't touched yet. Does he actually control like Luigi? I love the floaty high jumpy slippery Luigi feel and I'm going to be disappointed if it's just like Mario.

the Luigi U are shorter levels that are slight re-works of the mario versions...but yes he controls floaty and super jump you'd expect

after having played NSMBU straight for a week or 2 it was a major change that I abandoned for DKC:TF, I am looking forward to going back in after some time away to re-acclimate to float jumping

Did I misunderstand something or did they show off how the track changes on each playthrough, or something like that?

Also, I don't know why but Nintendo DLC makes me ridiculously happy..

Maybe the track changes each of the three laps.

Must be, or else they couldn't really have it in the time trials.

We need a Bayonetta thread...

They seem to have been really good value so far.

Also, Nintendo DLC represents (for me at least) Nintendo actually trying to compete in the current century of video games. Which is heartening. 

I've always kind of appreciated that Nintendo doesn't try to do modern gaming business models. If any other company had come up with Streetpass Mii Plaza, you would be encouraged to spend actual money on the games instead of walking around to get Play Coins and Streetpasses (exercising and meeting people!).

A Free to Play/DLC model Animal Crossing would be the worst thing imaginable.

Did I misunderstand something or did they show off how the track changes on each playthrough, or something like that?

polygon posted a little note about the video too - http://tw.gs/XZy1A2

The Excitebike Arena course is part of the first batch of Mario Kart 8 DLC, which hits Wii U in November. The course will have randomized ramps and speed boosts, the location of which changes every time you play (with the exception of Time Trials).

There must be a standard layout that is the TT mode, and then it deviates from there.  Someone in the comments says its like a muddy baby park (GCN DD) w/jumps - which would be amazing.  Custom rule the item drops & lap counts - never have to play another course when people are over.

*Edit - Nintendo DLC makes me very happy too.  Maybe because its done so seldom...and with these MK8 DLC packs - seeming done with a good value.  They are putting in characters, vehicles, and courses at a decent rate & one purchase.

Switch other games and you'd have to micro-transaction each vehicle & course separately.

Having never played a * Warriors game, those seem like decent value:content ratios to me?

Incidentally, the fact that Mario Kart 8 shows all the DLC stuff on the character/course select menus even though half of it won't even be available until next May is ridiculous.

I preordered all of it, am I just gonna have to see a little picture of Isabelle with a checkmark over her head every time I play for the next seven months?

I think it's silly to hold it against someone for wanting to advertise stuff. Does it actively prohibit you from playing the game? I have a hard time getting up in arms about something as benign as that.

Once they start doing gatchas, I'll join you with a pitchfork and torch in either hand!

I've always kind of appreciated that Nintendo doesn't try to do modern gaming business models. If any other company had come up with Streetpass Mii Plaza, you would be encouraged to spend actual money on the games instead of walking around to get Play Coins and Streetpasses (exercising and meeting people!).

I'm with you there. But continuing to support/develop for a game after its release is a relatively modern video game thing that it feels surprising to have Nintendo participate in. And good.

I think it's silly to hold it against someone for wanting to advertise stuff. Does it actively prohibit you from playing the game? I have a hard time getting up in arms about something as benign as that.

Once they start doing gatchas, I'll join you with a pitchfork and torch in either hand!

Advertising something I already bought and advertising inside the game itself are both kind of a little gross. Doing both at once is just silly.

The former is weird and awkward, and the latter is perfectly fine and ugh can everyone just stop using the word "gross" it's so fucking gross.

Not really, but you'll have the classic dilemma of "the controls are better in 2 and now 1 is harder to stomach ugghghh"

We're not talking Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 1 level, which I think is the best "modern AAA" example (THAT MANDATORY SIXAXIS GRENADE TOSS), but it's still a little wonky in comparison. If you're planning on taking a decent enough break between the two, I'd say do that. Bayonetta's plot is Classic Kamiya, which is to say it either can be summed up in about two paragraphs on Wikipedia, or overanalyzed to death. You won't be missing much by way of that, but damned if both 1 and 2 aren't just crazy fun action games.

IN SUMMATION

Play 2. Do it, do it, do it.

Excellent, thanks for that. I'd definitely like to go back to the original after a break. I think it'll be easier than going back and playing something like Dark Souls after starting with the sequel. That's another thing I'd like to do in theory, but in practice it ain't gonna happen. I don't have the stamina for another 100 hours of tension and pain. Bayonetta seems a little less foreboding.

Now just to wait for my Wii U bundle to turn up! I love the smell of new hardware.

You sure as shit know the DLC smash characters will be greyed out on the character select screen. I'm not particularly bothered with this practice. Good advertising innit.

I'd be interested to find out whether the mewtwo data will be stored on the disc? As they'd probably allow people to play against him in multiplayer, so all the data will have to be either on the disc or in a mandatory download.

Same with using link in mario kart. There will be a big ass patch so all the people who don't own the dlc racers will still be able to race against them

Edit: I just read no DLC is planned. Hmm likely story. They'd be mugs not to

The no dlc planned stuff is pretty old innit? Last time I saw it was at least a year ago. Def before the game was released and double def before the first dlc announced!

My favourite thing about the DLC is how the 'base game' sticks to the Mario universe and all the ideas that'd be a little weird and maybe not very Mario are in optional DLC. Like, racing in Hyrule and having a track that changes every time you play is pretty great, butttttt it's not really part of the Mario universe is it. But it's DLC! It's explicitly Optional.

My favorite thing about this is hopefully the next Mario Kart will just be Nintendo Kart and we'll have the best things of all worlds!

Super Smash Kart is a thing that needs to happen.

It's already weird enough that Donkey Kong is still somehow considered part of the Mario universe. Just fucking throw everybody in.

Or alternatively, make a cross-compatible karting game for every Nintendo franchise.

Animal Karting.

Pokékarts.

Xenokart Chronicles.