BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I think you get a NNID and a Miiverse profile, whatever the hell those things are.

Maybe it is the content, I like the story to be about a character who I'm playing as. Rather than being about a bunch of people who (in the most part due to poor or culturally different writing) I don't care about, as I am essentially all of them, making me feel like I am none of them.

Although I still think the tales of... Games wouldn't get much further if they just added dialogue choices. It's still blasting me with information and failing the basics of not only game, but film where the audience should be shown/do rather just just told. The Mass Effect games may have some "interactive cut scenes" but they also have little bits that make them feel interactive and important. For example stabbing an engineer in the back to make a boss weaker. The fact that some have small consequences makes you feel like they all might have.

I also have the inclination to skip most of the dialogue in bioware games. Want to know more? No thanks, I'll be on my way to talk to someone more interesting!

Mother fuckin updates whoooooo!

Just 8 minutes to go till I get to make a nintendo ID. Yeah!

Sorry, I have to disagree here.  The Mass Effect games - really, almost all Bioware games from the past five years - heavily lean on cutscenes for their storytelling.  Many of them are disguised by putting a dialogue wheel in front and waiting for the player to select one of three options, but they are still essentially cutscenes. 

I really, really don't want to bring up TT Walking Dead / Wolf Among Us as a counter example for anything, but I'm weak and here I am.

Do you consider those games "essentially cutscenes"? They're doing the same thing as the dialogue sections of Mass Effect: having the player navigate a screenplay and making it "interactive" by presenting choices (or the illusions of choice) every so often. The only difference, really, is that choices in modern TT games represent actual divergent narrative paths more often than Bioware dialogue trees do. But both games have "fake" and "real" choices to make, and rely to some extent on the player not knowing which ones those are.

All I'm saying is that I think Bioware dialogue sequences distance themselves significantly from mere cutscenes, and it's not fair to call them the same. Sure, they mainly work through trickery: giving a tiny bit of agency and trying to convince you that it's a lot. But what they're trying to do is much more sophisticated than an un-interactive cutscene, whether or not the illusion is successful for you personally.

I agree with you that adding intermittent dialogue choices into a JRPG probably wouldn't improve anything. Bioware (and Telltale) dialogue sequences are written trying to facilitate the illusion that Bjorn talked about. So the content of the "cutscenes" do contribute to why they don't feel like cutscenes. I also don't think they're cutscenes.

Cool! I get a free game in a Mario kart promotion

Nintendo Land (3576 MB)

New Super Mario Bros. U (2304 MB)

Game & Wario (4036 MB)

Pikmin 3 (4547 MB)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2467 MB)

Sonic Lost World (Wii U version) (8474 MB)

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (9748 MB)

Wii Party U (6571 MB)

The Wonderful 101 (12.9 GB) (PEGI 12)*

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U version) (7021 MB) (PEGI 12)*

Which of these do you guys actually recommend owning? Which has the most replayablity?

Nintendo Land is great for multiplayer and you should totally try it at some point, but also a budget title, so don't use your free game on that one if you want anything else on the list. I think Game & Wario is too. Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker are both fantastic, but I'd give the edge to Pikmin if I had to choose. It has great multiplayer and a bunch of challenge maps and stuff too.

Nice, thanks. I'm kinda intrigued about monster hunter but I heard there is a lot of grinding which isn't really my bag.

Just played my first cup in Mario kart! Um, would it be criminal to say I prefer sonic all star racing. Have they got rid of the jump/slide shimmy boost?

GET THE WONDERFUL 101. So much fun.

Monster hunter pretty much demands coop, and it takes around 20 hours before the game is really fun. That's a lot of time input! 

I know I have gotten about 200 odd hours out of Mon Hun 3, and that was a mix of SP and MP play. I think MH3 does a much better job at the SP, as it's a completely separate thing from the MP. It also has Cha-Cha and Kayamba who are adorable.

As for the grind, it's not really that noticeable, as you grind to make better weapons and look more badass and stuff. The grind comes in late, and by that time it's really enjoyable to care. The grind is certainly better in MH3 than in previous installments.

I think a lot of that time played owes to it being on my 3DS. Wouldn't say that the WiiU version is better though. Apart from the control scheme, online MP and prettier graphics, the game kinda lends itself to handheld a lot more.

Wonderful 101 is a great game. I'd say probably pick that up, as it could fall quickly under the radar and you'll miss out on it. Pikmin 3 and WWHD are def certs to buy anyways, and are probably easier to get a hold of a physical copy.

Not sure the online in MH3U should be relegated to "apart from"!

That was a key part of me playing 200 hours too. Both my brother and I tried to play it locally on 3DS but it just wasn't the same as the Wii U online.

Sure, online was MH3U's biggest selling point on the WiiU.

Although it was neat, it felt very end game, as you pretty much had to complete the SP game before going to the port, in order to have a fighting chance of surviving. For someone getting into the series, the online MP would not be a major incentive over the portability of the 3DS version.

i think i'll download the monster hunter demo and see if it clicks.

I'm have a full years paid up membership to a games rentals service with two disks at a time, i've got retail games coming out of my ears. So no doubt i'll play through all of the games suggest over the next 6 months, thats why im after re playability

So far it's just on the 3DS. The online is in the 3DS version, so I don't see the need to have a WiiU version too. I also believe we are getting MH4U instead of just MH4, so we're waiting like an extra year whilst Japan revel in MH4 now.

But it controls like ass on the 3ds. I even bought a circle pad pro for it (urgh). I think I'd love MH if there was less grinding. The actual monster fights are so much fun, but all the other crap just feels like filler.

i think i'll download the monster hunter demo and see if it clicks.

I'm have a full years paid up membership to a games rentals service with two disks at a time, i've got retail games coming out of my ears. So no doubt i'll play through all of the games suggest over the next 6 months, thats why im after re playability

Just a heads up - it'll take a while in game before you get to the bosses that are in the demo. Don't be expecting to fight a Lagiacrus straight away. You'll have to kill a fair few Jaggis before you get there. The demo is a pretty good way of seeing if you like the battle system and control system. the control system is unlike anything I've played before, and there's a really good chance you'll be struggling to understand how to use it, but after a while, you'll soon realise it's actually really solid for what it's worth.

But it controls like ass on the 3ds. I even bought a circle pad pro for it (urgh). I think I'd love MH if there was less grinding. The actual monster fights are so much fun, but all the other crap just feels like filler.

I played it without a CPP. I also don't think it controls like ass, apart from the water bits (which they removed from MH4U). Also I think there's a lot less grind too. Thanks to the farm and shops which stock useful items (like rare meat) I only fight large monsters, and my farm generates all the herbs, blue mushrooms and honey I need. Same thing if I need bugs. Resource points can be a tad lame, but that's where the fishing bay comes in handy. Just sell dem eggs! They're not used for anything else except resources. Basically grind for items that are not large monster drops are all but eliminated for me now.

I always liked the downtime resource gathering between big hunts. That's mainly what I used the 3DS version for if I wasn't at home. Or seeing how long you can last in the Woods, surviving only on the land as random monsters appear.

Every time I talk about MH, I feel compelled to go back but I basically had to stop myself playing because I wasn't getting any sleep.

I just find that part pointless. Just let me hunt the next big monster! I also dislike that once I kill boss X, it doesn't drop gear, or the resources for me to craft gear. It just drops part of it, meaning I have to go search for the rest of the stuff after. Just feels like a huge let down after I've overcome that troublesome monster.

Edit: Man, I've been incredibly down on games in my recent posts. I should talk about the ones I like rather than going on about the ones I don't.

Does anyone have opinions on Wii Party U? I have yet to decide on which game is going to be my freebie, and that's the only one I don't own a disc version of (of the 4 games available to North American Mario Kart owners). I went to redeem it, and it said something about not coming with a stand or some such nonsense? Realizing that not only is the game only kinda something that I want to download, but I wouldn't even be getting the optimal version of it has made me consider just claiming a digital version of something else so that I wouldn't have to dig up the disc in the future. Thoughts?

We Party You mostly works by doing a pass the gamepad for the board game section, then use the wiimotes for the all-play minigames. The specialty game pad minigames kind of suck, except the one where you make faces. It's deffo the game to get if you want a dumb game to play with friends. I've played a good amount of it in the office two months ago, but haven't played it since getting my own Weeeooooo this week, so my recollection might be hazy, also I don't have a stand, so I can't really even say how much that effects me playing it, but I don't remember ever using the stand in the office.

:) slow, ugly, clunky, no lock on? (I was using a sword) lots of loading between small arenas, simplistic

I'm sure I barely scratched the surface but I can tell it's not for me. The pace alone is a big enough turn off for me.

You're not alone, Mington. I had the same reaction. Monster Hunter just doesn't click for me.

Just played my first cup in Mario kart! Um, would it be criminal to say I prefer sonic all star racing. Have they got rid of the jump/slide shimmy boost?

Hm.. jump/slide shimmy boost? You mean the drifting boost? 'Cause they didn't remove that.

I gotta say.. I've only tried the demo, but I do not at all get the level of praise Sonic All Star Racing gets. It didn't look good, it just looked very busy (which made the tracks hard to read for me) and the racing controls just didn't click with me.. It felt too floaty and the drifting did something.. I don't know what.. it just felt wrong! Maybe there's just something wrong with me!

It didn't help that I'm not a big Sega fan, so there was almost no nostalgia playing through weird levels from.. some game I didn't know..