BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I agree, I'm not a fan of including Miis in everything. In Mario Kart I can just about abide it, but now they're doing it in Super Smash Bros? That I find irritating and so out of place. They don't fit with the aesthetic, they don't fit with the theme, and I don't really understand why. It's not like there aren't enough characters to choose from.

I agree, I'm not a fan of including Miis in everything. In Mario Kart I can just about abide it, but now they're doing it in Super Smash Bros? That I find irritating and so out of place. They don't fit with the aesthetic, they don't fit with the theme, and I don't really understand why. It's not like there aren't enough characters to choose from.

They fit with the aesthetic less than the barely-animated monochrome 2D sprite? Smash Bros' whole thing is that it's supposed to be a sort of celebration of games' evolution and heritage. Miis definitely have a place in that.

I don't like 'em in Mario Kart though.

Miis in Smash Bros. make a ton of sense, because they have three different loadouts and they look vaguely like you whereas the other fighters don't. I agree that they have no place in Mario Kart.

Still not a fan of it. It's always been a fictional universe character brawler. No place for miis.

I'm in the pro-Mii camp. Seems silly to be upset about it.

I think upset is a bit strong word for how I feel. It's just lame. I want to see link beating the crap out of Dr Mario, not two random miis fighting.

I think it's important that Nintendo acknowledged through the weird Elijah Wood/Abraham Lincoln/Ice T thing that nobody actually has their friend's Miis on their system, everyone just makes celebrities and pop culture characters.

what I'm getting at is Goku confirmed for Smash

Including a Mii character basically just seems like 'design your own character' to me, pretty much as tegan says. It's a shame you can't go further with them than you can and design something a bit more outrageous, but it's better than nothing. It beats the Wii Fit Trainer.

best-mii-meme-me-gusta.jpg

best-mii-pokemon-brock.jpg

best-mii-zoidberg.jpg

best-mii-harry-potter-snape.jpg

best-mii-zelda-ganondorf.jpg

And of course, shitty Mario:

best-mii-super-mario.jpg

It beats the Wii Fit Trainer.

You shut your goddamn mouth RIGHT NOW.

I think it's important that Nintendo acknowledged through the weird Elijah Wood/Abraham Lincoln/Ice T thing that nobody actually has their friend's Miis on their system

... I do.. :sad:

Oh, hey did I post the Pushmo/Pullblox World level I made? No?! Here it is!

SA9lrcK.jpg

y'know, there's a really easy way to get over this, which is simply to not play with the Mii's. Just sayin'.

That Pullblox is wack. I played a couple of online ones, and they're super cool. Someone made a great Vulpix one.

Also, I drove up to Leeds over the weekend with WiiU in hand and played Mario Kart 8 with my friends. They all hated is as there was no Map on the main screen. This was never an issue for me. What do you guys think?

We did play loads of rayman legends though. The 8-bit demake race/song levels are so much fun. their reactions when we did the granny rock 8-bit remake was priceless. And my favourite level in the game.

For those who haven't seen it:

y'know, there's a really easy way to get over this, which is simply to not play with the Mii's. Just sayin'.

That's too easy.

Also, I drove up to Leeds over the weekend with WiiU in hand and played Mario Kart 8 with my friends. They all hated is as there was no Map on the main screen. This was never an issue for me. What do you guys think?

Huh.. I never thought about that. But it's weird that there isn't an option to display that during multiplayer matches.

I do remember going "Heh. Hehe. I have a map on my gamepad." last time I played four-player MK8.. :o

I played a lot of Rayman Legends. I got awesomeness level 11, which involves about three months of playing the daily challenges as well as full completion of the main game and the Origins throwback levels.

Crap, I missed this part!

Yeah I miss it. I have it up on the game pad all the time, but I hate looking down to check who's at what position. Importantly the game pad also tells you what weapon they have, which is incredibly useful information, so I think it's kinda balanced that you need to look down, although unfair on anyone who's not using the game pad.

I do have those occasional Far Cry 2 moments where, I'm looking at the map then look up only to see myself flying off an edge or about to crash into something. Pretty hilarious.

Interestingly, my girlfriend's flat mate brought home some friends at 12 am and played mario kart while her and I slept. That has never happened with any other game, and just shows the strong draw of that particular thing. I dunno, I found that astounding that 3 non-gamers cut their drinking time short to play a game none have played since the N64 era.

I have a terrible obsession at the moment of trying to work out which is the best kart and character combination. I'm sure there's a table that someone's worked out already, but I know if I look at it I'll ruin the game for everyone I play with. 

Going back to the Mario-Mercedes thing, now that no-one's interested - I can't place the actor slash model who plays HumanMario and it's really bugging me. He reminds me of one of the actors in the Mario Warfare series. Specifically, Jarod Kearney, the guy that plays Luigi. Dunno though. Dunno.

This Business Insider write-up has a freeze frame demonstrating just how bad my facial recognition skills are: http://www.businessinsider.com/super-mario-mercedes-benz-gla-ad-2014-5

What the fuck. I went to buy a Wii U from Game today, and every single Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 bundle was sold out.

I purchased Tropical Freeze with my 25$ dell.com GC that I got from Mario Kart. My Wii U library is expanding rapidly (SM3DW, pikmin, Zelda:WW, MK8) since I purchased it around Christmas.

After a several year hiatus, I am so back into Nintendo.

I'll be picking up Mario Kart at the beginning of next month and replacing my Pikmin 3 physical copy, so I'll have a bunch of credit thanks to the Deluxe Digital Promotion. Should I get Shovel Knight, or something else?

Shovel Knight looks great! I've been following it for ages, and I'm really disappointed that it's been delayed for Europe. 

Jesus CHRIST, finally got a Wii U after having to get a bus out of town to a super-large Argos. Tried every Game, Argos, HMV, and John Lewis branch in town and out of stock everywhere. Either there's been a sudden surge in popularity or shops aren't arsed about stocking it.