BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Yes. The sensor bar is only used for Wiimotes. Besides, all it does is emit two points of infrared light for the camera in the Wiimote to orient itself by.

yeah I knew that, I just didn't want to set it up. Cool though, i'll try out that kind of aiming in WWHD when I play it, thanks

I wonder what type of games testing Nintendo runs - do they ask people who've never played a game to playtest the game?

I'd bet they do, and I bet every developer who puts in tutorials that people complain just teach basic shooter conventions does as well. There might be a better solution than putting in an easily passed tutorial to check you've found the camera controls and the fire button, but it's definitely not 'pretend everyone who's played this game knows basic genre conventions'.

I'd bet they do, and I bet every developer who puts in tutorials that people complain just teach basic shooter conventions does as well. There might be a better solution than putting in an easily passed tutorial to check you've found the camera controls and the fire button, but it's definitely not 'pretend everyone who's played this game knows basic genre conventions'.

It's got to be natural, where you are asked to figure it out in situations where you can fail, and the punishment is very, very light. I love how, for all of it's weird controller tricks, the Zelda series has taken some control away from the player, I think that Ocarina of Time introduced the "run towards the edge and we'll jump for you" mechanic, and by putting the first jumps in Kokiri Village in a way where the player would just fall in some water, they encouraged the player to try. Super Mario 64 allowed you to play around outside the castle for a while with minimal consequences, learning jump timings. Just backing off from pop-up tutorial boxes is a key first step. I think that, in video games, you learn by doing, not by reading, and the hardest part is just finding what is necessary to teach and what you can assume. 

I think that with the Idle Thumbs crowd, a lot of this is super duper obvious.

Super Mario 64 allowed you to play around outside the castle for a while with minimal consequences, learning jump timings.

It's pretty weird to think back and realize that Mario 64 opened with an explanation of then-unheard of camera controls rather than the ridiculously huge moveset Mario had in that game.

I wonder what actually happens when you put a 'Mario 64 playground' type space in front of the kind of people they're trying to target with these tutorials. I'm sure I recall developers saying that some testers refuse to mash the buttons to see what they do, but I can't find it and therefore can't trust it.

In a light way, this is what I like about, weirdly, the Assassin's Creed loading screens, where you're in this limbo space without anything in it. It's always a time where I test out what my weapon buttons are, do some jumps, basically a warm-up.

Pushmo/Pullblox World is out on Wii U eShop! It's pretty neat! The style is CUUUUTE! I've never played a Pushmo game before, so the simplicity of the mechanics and how they gradually get harder without introducing much else is making me really happy.

I think Nintendo still has a lot of work to do on selling the wiiu to the general public, people who don't follow video games. I was talking to a coworker last night about how I had just bought one, and apparently he thought it was a portable system, that it was just the tablet. Most of the people I talk to about video game related things also follow it to some extent, so I hadn't actually heard from anyone about not knowing what the Wiiu was, but it seems like Nintendo's messaging is still unclear, or hasn't gotten out at least.

In other news, Mario Kart is bullshit. It's great, but I WAS IN FIRST AND THEN GOT HIT BY A RED SHELL NEXT TO THE FINISH LINE AND SPUN OUT AND 2 GUYS PASSED ME AND I GOT THIRD WHATS WITH THAT. As I said, bullshit.

I don't know how they can sell it to the general public. I seriously think casual gaming is a dad that's either over, or has been completely eclipsed by tablets and phones.

On the bright side. The Wonderful 101 is bloody brilliant. Had some serious issues first, but I restated and bought the counter ability which just made the game feel right. The style is fantastic, it constantly makes me smile.

The combat is where it really shines though, I've noticed an odd combo system that I don't really understand but I think there's quite a lot of depth. I recommend this game!

In other news, Mario Kart is bullshit. It's great, but I WAS IN FIRST AND THEN GOT HIT BY A RED SHELL NEXT TO THE FINISH LINE AND SPUN OUT AND 2 GUYS PASSED ME AND I GOT THIRD WHATS WITH THAT. As I said, bullshit.

Please tell me that one of them was Luigi and he gave you the death stare as he rolled by for the win.

The weird Mercedes-Benz Mario Kart DLC is confirmed for America.

Part of me wants to be grossed out by this, but I can't really because I find it too funny. Look at Mario in his tiny luxury car!

(Although, what the hell, Mercedes will do this, but Euro Truck Simulator 2 has to use a fake brand name for the Mercedes trucks?)

I seriously think casual gaming is a dad that's either over, or has been completely eclipsed by tablets and phones.

No love for dad?

The weird Mercedes-Benz Mario Kart DLC is confirmed for America.

Part of me wants to be grossed out by this, but I can't really because I find it too funny. Look at Mario in his tiny luxury car!

(Although, what the hell, Mercedes will do this, but Euro Truck Simulator 2 has to use a fake brand name for the Mercedes trucks?)

To be honest, the only thing that disgusts me is that they'll do this but they won't bring in other Nintendo franchises to extend and enhance the full-on wackiness. Where's my Tingle death stare?

But yeah I don't really have any problem with shit like this, as long as it doesn't break the balance of the game.

EDIT: I looked at the image beyond a cursory glance and decided I'm also disgusted because it doesn't appear to have been stylized to fit the game at all. Shame.

I don't know how they can sell it to the general public. I seriously think casual gaming is a dad that's either over, or has been completely eclipsed by tablets and phones.

On the bright side. The Wonderful 101 is bloody brilliant. Had some serious issues first, but I restated and bought the counter ability which just made the game feel right. The style is fantastic, it constantly makes me smile.

The combat is where it really shines though, I've noticed an odd combo system that I don't really understand but I think there's quite a lot of depth. I recommend this game!

I had forgotten about that game, it did look cool but at the time I had no intention at all of getting a wiiu, now that I have one though I'll have to get it. I do like pretty much every game Kamiya makes.

Please tell me that one of them was Luigi and he gave you the death stare as he rolled by for the win.

Unfortunately no. It was peach and someone else. Toad maybe. That dude is a mushroom.

I'm so glad Nintendo finally tuned into the section of its audience that drives a Mercedes but also loves a game of Mario Kart.

I now want to see youtube videos of a Nintendad who just wants to cruise around in his Mercedes kart and feel good, but keeps getting interrupted and mown down by Luigi.

Mercedes is more of a retired dad, grandad sort of marque. Nintendo hasn't deserted its hardcore Brain Age fanbase.

Yeah, In Germany there's a name for Mercedes: « Rentnerfahrzeug », or Retired People's Car. And yes, it's horrible that it's not styled at all according to the Mario universe, which is precisely the thing I loathe about haphazard Mii inclusions in these games. Stands out like a sore thumb.