BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I bought MH3U on 3DS and Wii U, both physically and digitally. I might have had a serious problem.

Sonic has always sucked but I think I'll get that as my free game just because it seems more substantial.

Comes out in a month's time, really want it. =/

Me too :'(

Really can't afford it though. Such a shame, the WiiU actually has some pretty great games on it.

About ready to finally blow my wad on a Wii U with Mario Bros U, 3D World, and DKC — which will cost me less than just a PS4 by itself (another strong contender for my wallet). Think I'll be doing the deed tomorrow.

By the time I get through those and the various PS3 games on my agenda, I'll be about ready for a bit of Mario Kart. :tup: Plus there's Wind Wanker to keep me going, although an actual new Zelda would truly sweeten things.

Thrik, you're in for a real treat, especially if you want to play some great platformers. If you haven't played Rayman Legends, and you can find that for relatively cheap, go get it, too. 

And yeah, the track list that is all over the internet for Mario Kart 8 has some real fantastic classic entries alongside the new tracks. I cannot wait to play that game. I liked Mario Kart 7 a great deal for the 3DS, and I hope that they learn from that after dumb, slow Mario Kart Wii. 

Agreed, Rayman Legends is fantastic.

I've been playing Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails. Which is a fantastic name for a pretty ace game. Although my natural predisposition to get all the cats in one go makes me mad and means I only have completed 4 levels so far. Has anyone else played this? 

What are the chances of Nintendo supporting the WiiU for the foreseeable future?

There's maybe 6 games I'd love to play, but I'm struggling to believe that there will be many more after that. I don't have the funds for a WiU and a PS4 - which will be a mandatory purchase if Project Beast ends up an exclusive. So basically, who regrets their purchase?

Barring the Virtual Boy, Nintendo isn't the sort to back off of a console. If you're really concerned though, wait for E3 to make your decision.

Also, I don't regret my Wii U purchase, though I do intend to buy a PS4 as well.

I do not regret the purchase, but I bought it Pretty late at a fairly low price. I've already gotten more out of SM3DW than any game in the last years, so I'm pretty happy already. But I look forward to seeing what they come up with at E3.

So this is an official first-party peripheral:

5ajeeik.jpg

1csCPdY.png

And yes, Smash Bros. supports it.

"Smash Bros. supports it." is a bit of an odd way to say it. From all accounts thus far, Smash Bros is the only game that uses it and there's no particular indication that it'll work for anything else. I'd say it's a 50-50 split that this accessory is basically the Wii Speak or 3DS Circle Pad Pro.

So this is an official first-party peripheral:

5ajeeik.jpg

1csCPdY.png

And yes, Smash Bros. supports it.

Ok. I think you just sold me on a WiiU. That is the exact peripheral I want.

Have Nintendo ever specified if N64 games will appear on virtual console? Or is that just a pipe dream?

Final question: how do 3ds and WiiU talk?

Why. Why don't they just make a standalone classic controller or whatever that works over Bluetooth. Why this dumb shit. God this is dumb.

"Smash Bros. supports it." is a bit of an odd way to say it. From all accounts thus far, Smash Bros is the only game that uses it and there's no particular indication that it'll work for anything else. I'd say it's a 50-50 split that this accessory is basically the Wii Speak or 3DS Circle Pad Pro.

The controller has a Smash logo on it.  This implies to me that Nintendo will manufacture new controllers to go along with the peripheral.  So rather than redesign the Pro Controller into a new Wavebird, they're making more of a last-last-gen controller.  I'm sure people who still have original Gamecube controllers will be happy, but this seems like a poor solution.

The controller has a Smash logo on it.  This implies to me that Nintendo will manufacture new controllers to go along with the peripheral.  So rather than redesign the Pro Controller into a new Wavebird, they're making more of a last-last-gen controller.  I'm sure people who still have original Gamecube controllers will be happy, but this seems like a poor solution.

This just feels like an emotional/nostalgic cash grab for people who managed to collect 4 Wavebirds back in the day and get off when accessories like this are released.

Why. Why don't they just make a standalone classic controller or whatever that works over Bluetooth. Why this dumb shit. God this is dumb.

I have 4 GCs controllers that I regularly use for my...GC. To me this is an excellent peripheral. Not like the circle pad pro.

Exactly. This is really stupid. Ugh.

This hardware represents Nintendo's apology to the Smash community.  

The controller was announced in the same video as an official Smash Brothers tournament at E3.  A tournament featuring the players and casters that Nintendo has at best ignored, and at worst been openly hostile to, for more than a decade.  It was just year that Nintendo tried to prevent the largest fighting game tournament, Evo, from having Smash brothers (which at the time represented Smash coming back from obscurity). 

It's not wireless because wireless controllers are never used at tournaments due to interference and latency.  This controller makes little sense to the wider market but that's why it represents such a strong token to a formerly spurned community.  I'm truly impressed Nintendo honestly.  The people appreciate this are going to really really really appreciate it.  

BTW if you haven't seen the Smash documentary it's well worth watching.  Made on a shoestring budget by one guy it still manages to make you feel the ups and downs of a subculture you were probably never aware of: 

If it's a real apology, they'll sell it at cost. If this thing is $30, I don't buy that apology.

Apology may be too strong a word but it's certainly them embracing it.  It's clearly a niche hardware piece for a console which is itself a niche.  Even at a markup they can't expect to sell very many.  

This hardware represents Nintendo's apology to the Smash community.  

The controller was announced in the same video as an official Smash Brothers tournament at E3.  A tournament featuring the players and casters that Nintendo has at best ignored, and at worst been openly hostile to, for more than a decade.  It was just year that Nintendo tried to prevent the largest fighting game tournament, Evo, from having Smash brothers (which at the time represented Smash coming back from obscurity). 

It's not wireless because wireless controllers are never used at tournaments due to interference and latency.  This controller makes little sense to the wider market but that's why it represents such a strong token to a formerly spurned community.  I'm truly impressed Nintendo honestly.  The people appreciate this are going to really really really appreciate it.  

You know, that's a fair point, and I'll accept it! I can definitely see why it'd be useful for tournaments, and it's definitely cool that Nintendo is apparently trying to embrace the community rather than repulse it.

Given how much Sakurai's talked about framerate and such, it would not surprise me at all if it turns out that he wanted to have a wired controller option to reduce input lag. He just seems like that kind of guy.

I wonder if Sakurai's also turned around re: competitive play. We all know he was pretty uninterested in it for Brawl, to the extent that he added things and took away things because he felt the game was too competitive.