BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

This is also the reason why you don't want to use the gamepad if you try someone else's Wii U.

Wii U games I have played on the toilet this year: Wind Waker, Mario 3D World, Earthbound, that fucking Donkey Kong game in Nintendo Land

I was playing Wind Waker HD last night and I completely forgot this game lets you take selfies now.  What a dumb and hilarious thing to include.  I probably spent a good 10 minutes running around making Link look like an idiot.

I am playing a lot of Wind Waker HD right now. I'm on the Wind Dungeon now, so getting up to the end-game triforce hunt. Interested to see how that streamlining that Nintendo was talking about is implemented. So far I'm loving this game even more now than I did back in the day. It's just so good. I've also made it to the

second set of rocket levels

in Mario 3D World, and am completely baffled by how big this game is turning out to be. It is seriously interfering with me getting my report cards finished in a timely fashion. Good stuff.

Wii U games I have played on the toilet this year: Wind Waker, Mario 3D World, Earthbound, that fucking Donkey Kong game in Nintendo Land

This is selling me the Wii U better than any TV ad. I just can't quite force the £250-ish out of my hands yet considering I have so many games to catch up with on my 3DS.

I honestly don't even think I'd use the Wii U on a TV. It'd just be my in bed/on the toilet gaming system, competing with my 3DS. 

This is selling me the Wii U better than any TV ad. I just can't quite force the £250-ish out of my hands yet considering I have so many games to catch up with on my 3DS.

I honestly don't even think I'd use the Wii U on a TV. It'd just be my in bed/on the toilet gaming system, competing with my 3DS. 

It is strangely compelling that way.  I'm finding I really like the off-TV thing.  During college my roommate and I both brought TVs, so we'd use one to play games and the other to watch TV.  I like that I can do that again, and from the sound of it I think I prefer this method to the Xbone's way.

Actually, one of the reasons I love PC gaming is that I can have the TV on as background noise if I like. If the game is immersive, I simply ignore it. If it's a strategy game or turn based like Civ I can watch and play at the same time.

To have a console that fills that niche is pretty cool, and now there are plenty of games to choose from. I guess I'll be buying myself a late Xmas gift.

I recently spent a week at my girlfriend's house, then two weeks at home, and am now house-sitting with her at her uncle's place to take care of his dog while he's out of town. I brought the Wii U with me to her place, and now have it with me at her uncle's. Both of those places, I plugged it into the TV for playing Wind Waker HD when I had some down time. Thing is, during the two weeks I was at home, Mario 3D World came out. I didn't want to plug the Wii U back in to my TV, because that would require moving this giant heavy thing so that I could play my console like 3 times during the two weeks that I had. So I did the sensible thing. I plugged the Wii U into the outlet next to my bedside table and, plugged in to nothing but the wall, played through 3D World up to the credits on the gamepad in my bed. It was awesome. Much credit to Nintendo for that. I wasn't even in the same room as my TV, and I beat (in the baby sense of "beat", I guess) the latest Mario game. Sweet.

I can't access any gaming sites or YouTube at work but people on Twitter seemed to be getting excited about some of the stuff in this Direct so I'm excited. All I know for sure is that motherfucking Wii Sports Golf is out on the eShop this week. Yessssssssss.

Edit: GOLF. YES. Also I bought NES Remix not knowing what the hell it was and it's pretty good. It's a load of wee challenges based around classic NES games which is cool, and it reminds me of Sega MegaDrive Collection that I bought for the PS3 of all things. I bought that for the nostalgia but it turns out the guy who designed the trophies was actually a genius and realising that basically nobody in 2010 would be playing the games to completion based the trophy accumulation around completing intersting challenges in each game that could be done in 20 minutes or so and I loved it so much I ended up getting them all. This is very similar, and nicely presented and if only it had friend leaderboards Nintendo for fucks sake come on.

Mario Kart 8 continues to be Mario Kart

I find it very difficult to muster enthusiasm for Mario Kart. The trailer looks like...Mario Kart (with added Delorean wheels and moustache flappage). Sit four people in front of any iteration and it's bliss (64 and Double Dash are my era) but it is, and has always been, boring as hell in singleplayer. What confuses me is why Nintendo have begun numbering the games. Slapping 'Super', '64', 'DS' or Wii' on the title might have lacked imagination but you knew where you were with it and it disguised how many times you'd bought this game before. Perhaps it's just me - has numbering hurt Mario Party 9's sales? Probably not, but I was never interested in that series in the first place. But how does it benefit Mario Kart? Why risk making Joe Casual think he needs to have played the previous seven? Why draw attention to a huge catalogue of past entries in such an incrementally iterative series?

Also, I only hear great things about Sonic All-Stars Transformed.

Edited by dartmonkey

Alright. Wii U is got! Super Mario 3D World bought! I love it. Holy shit, it's good. It's magnicificent.

Also, NES Remix is pretty fun.

My NNID is BigJKO if anyone wants to send me a friend request. I also sent some requests out, so turn on your Wii Us!

My WiiU is my most recently used system! I used it like a month ago. It will be the next thing I use as well, and I will accept then (assuming I was one of the chosen few).

Yes! And if I didn't add anyone else, it's because your NNID is hidden somewhere in this beast of a thread, instead of posted in the proper Networking thread!

It was magic when I figured out I could quickly switch to the internet while playing Wind Waker HD and being able to look up the Tingle Statues (as all clues and hints to finding them have been removed). Now maybe they should make the in game jump in to MiiVerse load that quickly.

Are there any Kirby enthusiasts who can tell me which one I should get from the eShop next? I have the cart of the golfy SNES one already and Kirby's Adventure on 3DS but there are a few others that all look equally cute and fun.

I haven't played past Kirby games past 1996 (been chipping away at them chronologically) and I also don't know what's available on the eShop, but I do have recommendations out of the ones I've played.

Kirby's Dreamland 2: It's everything from Kirby's Adventure but even more well constructed and the level design actually makes use of the multiple powers, plus the mix and match system with the animals is genius. Sucks that whenever Nintendo rereleases this, they never actually use the Super Game Boy enhancements, because added colors and sound are icing on the cake.

Kirby Super Star: SNES one is considered essential, but I enjoy the expanded DS Super Star more. Either way, they are both fun and have multiple amounts of gameplay styles to explore, including almost a full remake of the first Dream Land game.

Kirby's Blockball: A lot of the Kirby side games are well done (and Dream Course is awesome too), so Block Ball is a neat kind of Arkanoid clone but with the Kirby powers and a lot of expansion on that design where powers must be used in the right times. Plus it has bosses. I had a lot of fun with this one and it never got excruciatingly hard like Dream Course, so it's more suited to the difficulty in general in the Kirby gameography.

I second those recommends, Kirby Super Star in particular.  It's probably my favorite Kirby game of them all.  

Nightmare in Dreamland was also fun.  It's mostly a remake of the original Kirby's Adventure, but one of the modes available is the Meta Knightmare, which lets you play the entire game as Meta Knight.  I think one of the versions of Kirby Super Star also has something similar.

Two votes for Super Star was pretty conclusive so I own this now, cheers! It's a real pain in the arse trying to keep on top of that series as a lot of the games seem to have different names in every region.

You all did this ages ago, but I finally reached The last World in SM3D World, after combing the entire game for stars, stamps and gold flags.

Should I bother spoiler tagging this?

And holy hell, that last level and Mystery Box are going kill me.

Captain Toad was easy, though, if a bit frustrating with that stupid Fire Plant Thing.

Ahhhh, Finally I Made It Here! Whooo!

Some strange/interesting ideas from Iwata at the investor meeting, though it's all a bit vague and doesn't sound appealing if you're not a soccermom. He'll need to clarify his definition of 'non-wearable technology' - as I understand it, I've got piles of that shit all round the house. The QoL Iwatacareware sounds very Wii Fitty although he said it goes beyond that. Some kind of biometric tablet? Regardless, he's chasing your mum again. I can't see third-parties and indies jumping on a treadmill with them, so no help there. So Wii U officially dons the Gamecube crown and accepts the Great First-Party Trickle. If I were in Iwata's position, I'd be pimping Pikachu and co. with NFC like there was no tomorrow, but hey.

I've read several pieces that have suggested the key to sales is ditching the tablet but I simply don't see how this would work. The Gamepad (and therefore the console) needs games that make it indispensably fun, but for whatever reason they just haven't arrived. You'd have thought the console was designed around one core concept to demo the potential. Maybe they thought Nintendoland was it. Right now, the off-TV play is the only thing selling it, besides a few teases from Nintendoland and ZombiU. BUT, sack the Gamepad and what have you got? How do you sell THAT box? The Gamepad stays. But without a balls-out system-selling phenomenon (which Mario Kart is not), that price has to come down.

Edit. Oh, and DS games on Wii U is a nice extra, but Mum's still got her DS Lite for Brain Age. Why would she want to play it on a bigger, heavier thing that only works in the living room and has half the battery life?

I hope their talk of a unified system for delivering experiences tied to your NNID instead of any single device is a step towards allowing digital downloads to be tied to your account instead of the Wii U. It sounds like they want to offer some content that is independent of hardware, but that doesn't necessarily mean the current digital download titles. But I'd welcome some games that can be played on both my 3DS, Wii U and a theoretical future Nintendo console.

From the Nintendo Direct today, more footage of Monolith's tentatively named "X".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_wnLmYn5IE

(Huge Succeeded!)

The battle system is definitely Xenoblade's, but with multiplayer and giant robots. All of those things sound good to me.

I think it looks fantastic, but i can't help but expect that it will be doomed to obscurity with the way the Wii U is going, and Monolith already got kinda screwed over how Xenoblade was released. (In that it was just barely so and two years late.)