BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Oh wow, numbered reviews of game consoles... I didn't know people were doing that. Am I supposed to compare this to the one they did of the Xbox 360 when that came out?

How many stars does Video games IN GENERAL have? I'm only interested in hobbies that're above an 8.5.

I'm gonna watch this ZombiU quick look, cos I've not really been able to tell if ZombiU is a GREAT GAME, or just the best thing to get with a Wii U.

More importantly, how many stars do those reviews have? I only bother read reviews rated 7 stars or above.

I was lead to believe the WiiU is more technically proficient than the current consoles, but it doesn't look like anyone has made use of that so far. ZombiU looks pretty cool!

More importantly, how many stars do those reviews have? I only bother read reviews rated 7 stars or above.

I was thinkin about goin out today, but the weatherman gave it an 8.5, so maybe I'll wait n see what next week gets.

If it's above a 9 then good, cos I'm actually dieing to go out.

Other technology gets review scores, given the service/ecosystem-dependent nature of consoles nowadays it seems prudent to also score them. Anyways, yeah ZombiU looks pretty good. But I also have any number of other zombie games that I own and haven't played, so I can't say I'm very excited.

I watched the entirety of the WiiU livestream this afternoon and the high points were

1) Full-length NintendoLand opening music, grabbed through the "pull the disc out before it's finished loading" trick (the WiiU did eventually realise and error out)

2) Patrick getting really annoyed and then grumpycat/sulky when he learned that his Nintendo account was now permanently fused to the office WiiU and couldn't be transferred to his own console.

The WiiU itself doesn't look so appealing right now. Some of the ports are terrible (Batman + Epic Mickey have terrible framerates) and the price points are high even for downloadables; nothing stands out to justify a day one perch.

Didn't realize this was out already and probably won't remember in the morning. Hope to see some cool stuff in the future, but don't expect it for a while.

Other technology gets review scores, given the service/ecosystem-dependent nature of consoles nowadays it seems prudent to also score them. Anyways, yeah ZombiU looks pretty good. But I also have any number of other zombie games that I own and haven't played, so I can't say I'm very excited.

I haven't noticed that. Maybe it depends on the website, but I don't recall an iPhone getting numbered reviews. Maybe I can see why you'd give graphics cards a review score, since there are tons of them and they all perform similarly.

I think it's pretty weird to give consoles a review score.. They're not measured entirely by their power and it's hard to measure their value over a short period before launch where not every feature is even implemented.

Also, now you have people going "6.5 out of 10, yikes! I'm not buying that, then.." instead of actually inquiring about the games, the service, whatever..

The only scores I trust in are Conan's. As for the Wii U, I hear Zombi U is really good and Mario U too, if you're into that. The rest, meh. But really, unless you're a hardware freak or a journalist or this is the Nintendo 64, why would you buy a console on day one? A console's potential rarely pops up until about a year in, not to mention the technical marrings of a first generation (though Nintendo is usually not as bad as Microsoft or Sony in that regard).

ZombiU seems to have a novel way of representing single-player death.

Death in ZombiU is permanent, with that character and whatever they're carrying remaining at the point they fell. You respawn back at Shadwell as the next survivor. You're given their name, age and occupation; they'll be wearing career-specific duds and have slightly varying base stats... with the previous character turning into a zombi and wandering undead where they fell.

I like this sort of detail. Interested!

The game seems very Dark Souls/Demon's Souls influenced, down to having anonymous internet messages populating the environments as helpful/trolling notes scrawled across walls.

This is a bit worrying. Everyone who seems aware of the Wii U is wanting to wait until it gets better software / see what Microsoft and Sony do. While everyone who bought a Wii as their first console, has no idea what a Wii U is.

Apart from the Nintendo faithful, who is buying one?

So, someone somehow got into the Miiverse 'debug mode' which amongst other things includes a list of each region's admins, buttons for deleting them (that don't work), plus a bunch of private forums:

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=500411

The one that caught my eye was 'Metal Gear Solid'. What's this? The only sensible things I can think of are either a port of the recent HD re-releases of MGS2 and MGS3 (meh), or a fucking HD re-release of the GameCubes' Twin Snakes. Yes please.

Hasn't Kojima pretty much disowned Twin Snakes? I don't think that'd ever be re-released. (Especially with the Silicon Knights connection.)

Nothing's been said either way really, it's the elephant in the room. Twin Snakes is an excellent remake that had more involvement from Kojima and his dudes than has often been acknowledged, but it was created on Nintendo's dime and has some Nintendo-specific content (easter eggs plus the Psycho Mantis saved game thing). So it's kind of stuck on Nintendo's platform unless it's significantly reworked.

It's easy to imagine Nintendo just saying 'piss off' to it being ported to any other platform, and maybe Kojima doesn't want to go through the effort of re-engineering an already-aged remake and would prefer to completely redo the project as he's insinuated before — so who knows what may or may not happen in terms of MGS1 being remade for a second time.

But until then, there's no reason Twin Snakes couldn't at least be re-released on the Wii U. As emulation has already proven Twin Snakes looks kind of awesome in HD and it'd be a pretty smart move from Nintendo considering them trying to push this console back into the hardcore demographic, especially with the recent HD re-releases of its sequels.

We picked up a Wii U today for the office and busted out Nintendo Land. The multiplayer games are actually a lot of fun. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon, and I seriously doubt i'll even think about buying one for myself. But it's a great thing to have in the office. There's a Microsoft Surface (table) downstairs in our reception that pretty much serves the same novelty factor.

We picked up a Wii U today for the office and busted out Nintendo Land. The multiplayer games are actually a lot of fun. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon, and I seriously doubt i'll even think about buying one for myself. But it's a great thing to have in the office. There's a Microsoft Surface (table) downstairs in our reception that pretty much serves the same novelty factor.

Novelty still sells stuff, maybe the WiiU will do alright. But from incidental evidence and just plain business sense I expect both Microsoft and Sony to push out their own novelty and originality with their next consoles. Come rather early next year we should see "The Empire, and former Empire Strike Back" in terms of consoles. They both know how much money is at stake, and that competition has, if anything, increased significantly over 7 years ago.

Then again, this paragraph from Penny Arcade indicates, you know, that maybe my competition quip is dead on, and perhaps the Wii-U hasn't don't enough

"Erika called the Target downtown because she had heard what we did; that they had huge piles of Deluxe Wii U systems. Like, a ridiculous number. She asked if he thought they’d have any by the time she got there, but they had forty-seven, putting them squarely in crenellation territory. I don’t understand entirely how our maximum throughput consumption culture allows concentrations like this to occur, but its occurring here to point where the Wii U is so concentrated they have begun to fall out of solution.

I considered availing myself of the device, but “Screen Time” is so rigorously controlled at my house that trying new things with that precious resource is often contraindicated. They put their time into proven “veins” of amusement. If playing the Wii U meant that they would have less time in Minecraft: Pocket Edition, fuck it. If the Wii U could import their crazy dungeon-spire-bunker-restaurant with the downstairs pool, then, you know… maybe."

Hmmm... I know that MS and Sony have both "done" more than the Wii U has to avail themselves of "newness". Or at least I expect what incidentiaries I know of these consoles to strike as more "new" to people than the Wii U might. So... For example, I fully expect the 1080p gameplay trailer for Star Wars 1313, with a 3d version available of course, to be among "The shit you have to check out on youtube cuase oh man!"

But I also expect Kinect 2.0, Microsoft robot vision is watching you have sex, to also be a thing "you totally have to, like, see to believe!" for another type of person. The type of person that might then consider waiting and buying this thing rather than a Wii U, or even the type of person who wouldn't have bought a Wii U ever.

I just listened to this week's Giant Bombcast.

Is it true that Wii U purchases are still tied into the hardware instead of that new account structure?

What the fuck is going on with Nintendo?

Gerstman had a full on hissy fit with a bunch of misinformation on last week's cast. The rest of the crew seemed a little.. awkwardly quiet in response? It was weird.

What misinformation? I didn't really notice that, though admittedly I listened to this week's Bombcast while doing other things.

If you're referring to the problem Sno is referring to, that isn't misinformation and has been confirmed to be the case. Additionally, Nintendo online accounts themselves have been confirmed to be locked to the console they're created on.

Also, it really doesn't matter to me if it's misinformation because Nintendo themselves aren't providing any information. If this whole online situation was well documented, it'd be far more offensive if people happened to be wrong in their analysis of the system's offerings but as it stands Nintendo deserves to be smacked around either way.

Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?

Answer:

• No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

http://www.nintendo....our_account.jsp

If a new MP3 store went online tomorrow and you bought a lot of music on it, what would your expectation be? Probably that those songs you bought are portable, as DRM-free or at least some kind of multiple machine activation feature is prevalent throughout that industry. It's shouldn't be the consumer's responsibility to search through your manual or scour your website to make sure they can have some portability in what they own, granted the current standard is somewhat high. If Nintendo was going to make accounts limited to one console, it should have said something to that effect in the account creation process rather than put the impetus on their customers.

I think they will change the account behaviour in the future, because the 3DS will be tied to the Wii U account so that they are one and same.

Just in the start it seems like it's quite shitty and limited.

Future system updates will fix this.

Let's fucking hope so. Nintendo's continued retardedness in relation to online accounts and such going right back to the original DS is touching upon maddening.

I played a Wii U (Nintendo Land and Mario) for the first time last night and now I want one. That said, it was a lot of fun in multiplayer, but most of my gaming time is spent in single-player, and from that perspective there's not a lot on it that interests me right now. I no longer have any doubt that I'll end up owning one eventually, though.