BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I dunno, hardware or not, it really comes down to who their target market is; if it's going to be for children and my grandpa I doubt I'll buy it, despite their being a few awesome games for me.

I don't see why they would try to go back to gaming or hardcore at this point, they made a killing with the market they have, I imagine they'll just continue the new Nintendo image.

I don't know what to think. Not enough info. Can it only support one tablet controller?

3rd party support sounds strong, I guess?

Wasn't actually expecting the huge tablet controller. Was hoping for something smaller, I guess. Still, might feel ok to hold. Can't wait to hear some first impressions from the floor.

That Zelda thing they showed briefly looked good. As did the bird tech demo, reminded me of Sony's demos back when Playstation 2 was announced.

Can't wait to hear more.

Oh, and I'm not a big fan of the name. But of course they wouldn't have dropped the popular Wii name already.

Names don't matter, if we got used to Wii, we'll get used to Wii U.

And like...

That thing, that thing is pretty crazy, but...

I think that's pretty much what i expect from Nintendo now, to do the most insane and unexpected thing possible and somehow still be successful with it.

I got the impression they don't really have many cogent ideas about what the tablet controller really even means for the system, they just want to shove it out there and see what happens with it.

With even a new wiimote and nunchuck combo costing as much it does, won't extra wiiumotes be prohibitively expensive with regards to setting up a three or four player setup? They look like pretty advanced gadgets.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but i wouldn't get too excited about that Zelda tech demo,

They were very explicit about these all just being tech demos.

Clearly though, now that they've shown this high-definition, realistic looking Zelda, they just need to go make an HD Wind Waker sequel instead.

With even a new wiimote and nunchuck combo costing as much it does, won't extra wiiumotes be prohibitively expensive with regards to setting up a three or four player setup? They look like pretty advanced gadgets.

Well it's backwards compatible with the existing Wii controllers, so assuming you have a Wii, you already have controllers that are going to work with the Wii U. I'm more concerned about the price tag for that new tablet controller, doesn't that thing seem like it's going to cost a ton?

Did they ever say what the U stands for?

They teased vaguely that maybe it stands for "utopian" or "you" the player.

Egh... :shifty:

I'm more concerned about the price tag for that new tablet controller, doesn't that thing seem like it's going to cost a ton?

Well, that's what I meant. Who wants to play with the guy who is the only one with his own six inch touch screen?

If that's the case, it might just fall back on the Wii-mote's "classic" controller for local dual-analog multiplayer.

I'm a bit disappointed by this. Looks expensive, the console only supports one at a time, and N hasn't really shown that they know what to do with it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that some "killer app" game comes at launch that will really show the strength of what, right now, seems almost unnecessary.

I'm a bit disappointed by this. Looks expensive, the console only supports one at a time, and N hasn't really shown that they know what to do with it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that some "killer app" game comes at launch that will really show the strength of what, right now, seems almost unnecessary.

Well, that's what the Nintendo DS sounded like when it was first announced. Weird idea. Only tech demos, at the time.

Well, that's what the Nintendo DS sounded like when it was first announced. Weird idea. Only tech demos, at the time.

The DS was incredibly dire for the first year or so, it took a long time to build momentum.

I don't have a really sharp opinion on this yet, I'll first have to see some actual games in action.

From a technical standpoint I like that Nintendo is once again pushing for something new and special. I like having new ways to control my game and it has become a Nintendo staple. But from a gamer point of view I'm very cautious. I remember all too well how the Wii seemed like the most exciting thing ever, and it turned out to be just a dud of a console for any 'normal' gamer. The tech dated very quickly and became unbearable to watch just a few years in. Even though the library of games is actually less appalling than I feel or think it is (it has two Mario's, a great Kirby, some Metroid), I just despise the console too much to give it another chance. The disappointment was just too great.

And now I see potential for the Wii U to disappoint me again, and I'm not sure I want to allow it that opportunity.

I got the impression they don't really have many cogent ideas about what the tablet controller really even means for the system, they just want to shove it out there and see what happens with it.

Nintendo is lead by Cave Johnson?

I for one am pretty excited by the potential. It remains to be seen if the software will be there to match. This is becoming a perennial issue for Nintendo - great idea, awesome buildup, and then the first six months there is almost no compelling software. So it will really depend on whether they're able to get a good launch (or post-launch) lineup in place.

But still - this idea is *awesome*. Miyamoto's 2003 dream of Pac-Man Vs. being a popular gaming sensation may finally come to light.

Also, are we sure about the only-one-tablet-per-console limit? I haven't seen any information about it other than speculation.

Wau. I just watched the press conference (previously I was relying on media coverage of the Wii U) and I changed my mind, this looks awesome.

Pressing question: Will it be backwards-compatible, so I can play my Gamecube games on the Wii U controller?

I'm pretty underwhelmed by this. While the Wii burnt me pretty hard by disappointing me in almost every conceivable way, one thing it did get right was introducing a proper mouse-like cursor to console games without having to use a mouse in your living room (which is shit).

I was really hoping the next generation would take that technology — because Nintendo's infared approach isn't particularly reliable — and improve it, which is exactly what the Move has done. However it looks like the Wii U is doing away with the pointer controllers (even if they're maintained for backwards compatibility) which is just bollocks.

Wii U... more like Wii U-Turn! :tdown:

I'm pretty underwhelmed by this. While the Wii burnt me pretty hard by disappointing me in almost every conceivable way, one thing it did get right was introducing a proper mouse-like cursor to console games without having to use a mouse in your living room (which is shit).

I was really hoping the next generation would take that technology — because Nintendo's infared approach isn't particularly reliable — and improve it, which is exactly what the Move has done. However it looks like the Wii U is doing away with the pointer controllers (even if they're maintained for backwards compatibility) which is just bollocks.

Wii U... more like Wii U-Turn! :tdown:

So....a stylus with screen mirroring doesn't do it for you?