Ben X

POLITICS!

it's funny to think 9/11 happened 10 years ago, anyone remember what you were doing that day. I was in the sixth grade and our teacher didn't let us watch channel one, and at lunch time my bud told me that a plan crashed int the Empire State building. ha kids.

But what dose this death mean for us today. Will the government stop spending most of my tax money on defense?

I was in ninth grade and we took off homeroom period to cram into the school library and watch the news.

In other news, as I posted in the life thread, Canada just finished electing a Conservative majority government and I am fucking disgusted with my country. Note to anyone who hears a statement from Stephen Harper over the next 4 years, 60% of the popular vote believes "Fuck that guy" so try not to hold it against us.

I was at home and just happened to turn the tv on and right at the moment I turned it on the first plane had hit the tower. I immediately called my friend who was in the Finnish army at that time and as I was speaking to him I saw the second one hit on live tv and I was disgusted, shocked and just lost. I was just thinking what the fuck is going on?

Miffy, that's a real shame for Canada... it's really strange that people had the chance to change things and still somehow the same guy stays in power. That really should be illegal.

In other news, as I posted in the life thread, Canada just finished electing a Conservative majority government and I am fucking disgusted with my country. Note to anyone who hears a statement from Stephen Harper over the next 4 years, 60% of the popular vote believes "Fuck that guy" so try not to hold it against us.

I'm going on record stating that I did NOT vote for him. I'm flabbergasted conservatives still run this country.

I can see why they would: Hanging around in a morgue, or a grave, the body is both a target and an icon. They just wanted rid of it as soon as possible, and to avert any kind of glorification they could.

Yeah, they did the same with Hitler.

I was working as a tester at Sony. A very strange day.

The terrorist attack or the testing for Sony?

(Oh gods I'm such a bad person.)

I. . .honestly don't remember. I believe I woke up and was told about it, so I was quite likely asleep.

If navy seals went in with an order to kill they would not miss the head and be using large caliber hollow point bullets. Imagine Ben Laden's head is this watermelon…

7tArEtZLw4o

I woke up and saw it on TV at home, then went to school and watched it live there. I believe the second plane hit while we watched and the teachers had to explain what was happening. They turned off the TV when the towers collapsed and we spent the rest of the day talking about it instead of doing school work.

I was in college and didn't have a TV; I knew nothing about it until I got to my Java class. The prof tried to keep teaching but no-one was paying any attention.

I was working in a tiny boiling hot kitchen in a restaurant café. The head waitress told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC (we didn't know it was terrorism at that point). We watched some news during our break, but we were too fried to think anything other than "weird".

On an unrelated note, the other kitchen staff were Turkish, Italian and Serbian (at least I think he was Serbian - he was always a bit cagey about exactly where he was from. This guy was like the inspiration for Nico Bellic; looked and sounded just like him. Nice guy though).

I was a senior in high school. I clearly remember the weird floaty feeling as I walked between classes. I believed naively that the attacks would be a wake up call for the US international politics apparatus. Go 18-year-old me! Instead, we got, They hate us for our freedoms and Go out and shop.

I was in first grade. My mom took me home from school before we were dismissed because she feared I would, somehow, be killed by terrorists. I, of course, didn't completely comprehend why.

It's really strange, I've got vivid memories of when 9/11 happened; but not a lot about the evolution of infos in the few months that followed.

I was getting a haircut a few days before leaving my hometown and parents' house to live on my own in Grenoble, where I'd be studying Computer Science.

I remember going out and noticing a few middle age women, picking through the windows of the 4th or 5th floor, and talking anxiously to their neighbor on the other side, in a very thick southern accent. I remember a guy asking from street level what it was all about, and they said their was a huge attack on New York.

I also remember my first thought was : "Please, let it not be WWIII, after 3 years of boring studies, I'm just about to start doing something I expect to love and have a fresh start just like in movies"

When I learned about Ben Laden's death, my first reaction was to think that it sucked that we live in world with no strong narrative causality. If it had, then Bin Laden would have been captured, brought to justice, sent to prison (preferably), his organization dismantled and in the process, we would have understood why terrorism happens and how to act to prevent it from ever happening.

Instead, we get a sucky conclusion with no closure : we get a strike team with no tazer that could only shoot the guy dead, with no body to retrieve and silly conspiracy theories growing. Ben Laden's organization remains standing (probably with the same amount of money in the bank), its members being reinforced in the hatred of their enemy and, instead of focusing on the fact than the most terrifying part of the story is that Bin Laden, despited being an educated individual with money, still resorted to those terrible means, people have already started to turn him into a James Bond villain.:tdown:

k8TwRmX6zs4

First

the moon

in Portal 2 (spoiled ending if you clicked), now the US president says "Well handled" *. What's with all these Idle Thumbs references? **

* did you notice how he was deliberately avoiding a fake german accent when he said that?

I might be joking.

I was in 8th grade. I walked into my 2nd period class and the news was on, the Pentagon had just been hit. Living in the DC suburbs, it was a surreal experience. A few kids lost one or both of their parents.

Ye gods and little fishes, some of these "where were you" reports make me feel old.

I'd say the median age on this forum is probably around 25, which from my limited experience is higher than a lot of places where people talk about games. What's weird to me is that I've been a member of this community since I was 16, and weirder still is that I probably talked about 9/11 when it actually happened with some others who are still active here over on the Mixnmojo forums when I was 13. Doesn't make me feel old, but it really makes me take a step back when I realize that I'm 23 I've been talking to some of you people on the internet since before my age ended with a "-teen".

“It’s like in golf,” he said. “A lot of people — I don’t want this to sound trivial — but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive,” said Mr. Trump, a Republican. “It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”

What

I like how he claims Meyer “...fell totally flat" despite the fact that we can hear the laughter on the video. A fine example of FOX spin.

Man, something's gone horrifically wrong when the president is making fun of you with lame photoshops.

Man, something's gone horrifically wrong when the president is making fun of you with lame photoshops.

I hope he personally made that photoshop, I can just imagine Obama illuminated solely by the glow of a screen in the middle of the night frantically photoshopping the White House, occasionally stopping to admire his work and chuckle to himself before returning to work...

Just me?

“I still have a thing” about it, he acknowledged. “Shaking hands is proven to be a bad thing to do for our health.”

He recalled a fan walking out of a restroom at the “21” Club in Manhattan recently, approaching him with an outstretched hand. “Now, I have two choices,” Mr. Trump explained. “Don’t shake it, and here’s a man that for the rest of his life will hate Donald Trump. But I don’t want that. I have a heart. Or shake it. And you don’t know what you are shaking. And you know what I did?” he asked. I shook his hand. And then, I didn’t eat as well, because I didn’t know where his hand was. But I can tell you it wasn’t in a very good place.”

Nutbag :deranged: