Squid Division

Sony Shitshow

I have two free games, but what do I care? I was never going to buy them anyway, so I've not gained anything. But my info is still out there.
You mean your name, and address? Yea I'm sure those weren't easily available on the internet already.

@ Sully: Perhaps; but that doesn't change the duty of care that Sony has to look after your data. A duty of care they have clearly ignored to reduce the cost of doing business by failing to follow basic security measures.

You mean your name, and address? Yea I'm sure those weren't easily available on the internet already.

BRKL is pretty much fine with respect for that. Particularly without giving out his real name. Though I found the City, DoB and what he looks like easily that isn't all of the information needed. His info will be on an online phonebook probably though

@ Sully: Perhaps; but that doesn't change the duty of care that Sony has to look after your data. A duty of care they have clearly ignored to reduce the cost of doing business by failing to follow basic security measures.

Yep. If I give you my information in a way which seems secure and it gets leaked then I'm going to be pissed.

BRKL is pretty much fine with respect for that. Particularly without giving out his real name. Though I found the City, DoB and what he looks like easily that isn't all of the information needed.

That's.. kinda creepy.

;)

That's.. kinda creepy.

;)

Well so is the internet. I have no idea what I'm doing with finding info on people. But I know that services like http://www.192.com/ allowing marketers to buy electoral roles, which is just great.

Which is standard practice as far as online subscriptions are concerned (whether they are free trials or not). When I signed up it was fairly explicit in pointing this out and I've been through the process of turning off the free trial subscription of both Qriocity as well as PS+ and it's as simple as it gets...

That really makes no difference to me whether everyone is doing it, man, or not, it's still bullshit. It's just like student loans wanting to enroll me in automatic payment without asking just for having student loans. Car insurance too. I shouldn't be automatically doing anything unless I specify so.

I think you're missing the reason companies do this, and that is to gather monies from those who have no idea they are automatically enrolled to anything. Once they find out, often people have no fight in them and will only cancel the month after, paying the people enrolling the automatic services another month.

So yeah, I'm obviously not saying you have to do a ton of work to turn off a single option. I'm saying it's absolute bullshit it's on automatically and you have to go and turn it off.

I think cynicism is fine, as it's clear the free stuff is calculated, but it would have been difficult

That's not so, if they had given everyone $10-20 to spend on games in the store, I'm sure it would have been more pleasant all around.

Also since the amazing offer of renting BAD BOYS, GHOSTBUSTERS, and FINAL FANTASY 2001 for FREE has already passed, they could have allowed us a selection of their usual rentals for free for one weekend or even a selection of 20 movies released after 2004. As it is, that rental service was not worth any of the fucking hype Sony gave it beforehand, it was a joke.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I shouldn't be automatically doing anything unless I specify so
I think you're missing the reason companies do this, and that is to gather monies from those who have no idea they are automatically enrolled to anything

...and when you sign up to PS+ it will explicitly tell you about the automatic funding and how to disable it. It's a subscription service to which you subscribe. It has the option to automatically renew defaulted to on for convenience only - not because of some nefarious scheme to scam you out of money - but because that's the option most normal people (who aren't grinding axes and looking for their pound of flesh) would ordinarily select. To say nothing of it being industry practice.

That's not so, if they had given everyone $10-20 to spend on games in the store, I'm sure it would have been more pleasant all around.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. It's hard to please everyone, and I doubt giving away around $750,000 would go down well at Sony HQ, not to mention I think you overestimate the value of $15 credit as a 'welcome back gift'.

...and when you sign up to PS+ it will explicitly tell you about the automatic funding and how to disable it.

Which had you been reading what I wrote earlier, as I stated I read the pop up message, but it still doesn't change that it's a wordy piece of junk that looks like a bunch of ToS.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. It's hard to please everyone, and I doubt giving away around $750,000 would go down well at Sony HQ, not to mention I think you overestimate the value of $15 credit as a 'welcome back gift'.

Which is exactly why most of what they gave up was worthless, out of print, or had already run its course. No sense on riding the fence about that.

...but because that's the option most normal people (who aren't grinding axes and looking for their pound of flesh) would ordinarily select.

I'm done with this if you don't have much to add that I'm somehow abnormal because I don't like companies setting up any kind of automatic payments without my permission. You say normal, but look at how relieved people are over similar things like overdraft fees which are now thankfully automatically off by law for the consumer's convenience.

Uh, I'm going to assume this is some very subtle trolling and simply exit stage right.

[audience applauds]

A man enters from the left holding a placard with the following words written on it; "this was meant to be a jokey representation of frustration, not a statement of fact."

Edited by Cigol

Uh, I hope the mods censored that word like they censor *********.

Throwing in some more negativity here which sort of answers a question I was wondering about earlier...

I spoke with one of the people involved in publishing Swarm last night and they said even though 50% of their game's market was destroyed for two months with PSN down, Sony has done nothing to apologize for that or reimburse for lost sales. Apparently this has hit the publisher (and Hothead of course) a little bit hard, considering there's not yet a Steam release or anything like that to balance that out.

Not sure if Sony is ignoring everyone, but they also owe the developers whose game releases and sales they have jacked up in this equation something to make good and patch up all potential lost sales. But hey, maybe they'll treat the smaller game developers to free copies of Sonic the Hedgehog 2!

Edited by syntheticgerbil

This is the best part of that article:

So how about randomness? Well, one way to look at this is how many of the passwords are identical. The top 25 were:

seinfeld, password, winner, 123456, purple, sweeps, contest, princess, maggie, 9452, peanut, shadow, ginger, michael, buster, sunshine, tigger, cookie, george, summer, taylor, bosco, abc123, ashley, bailey

I'm really confused how both Seinfeld and Bosco appear in the top 25, but it is an amazing fact Outside of the blackface Bosco of yore and the one in Sam and Max, where the hell do you ever hear that name?

I'm really confused how both Seinfeld and Bosco appear in the top 25, but it is an amazing fact Outside of the blackface Bosco of yore and the one in Sam and Max, where the hell do you ever hear that name?

It's a brand of chocolate syrup. There's an episode of Seinfeld in which George's ATM code being "Bosco" is a plot point.

QLOC8iFpehg

This is the best part of that article:

Also, this is Bosco if you grew up in Ireland:

bosco.jpg

It's a brand of chocolate syrup. There's an episode of Seinfeld in which George's ATM code being "Bosco" is a plot point.

They are related even, who would have thought? (Well, outside of Seinfeld fans.)

Seems like a good time to invest! Pretty sure those will bounce back up after a while. :grin: /proinvestor

Grabbed my games tonight. Dead Nation and a live-on-my-PS3-instead-of-the-disc copy of LittleBigPlanet for PS3, and LBP and ModNation for PSP. Only one that I'm honestly interested in is the portable LBP, but I enjoy a good kart racer, so I'm happy to give MNR a free shot.

Is anybody else getting error messages all the time in the PSP PSN store?

I was checking it since it came back online, but every day I get some weird errors on some parts of the store. I of course made my login after the whole hack incident so I don't get any free games, but that's ok. I already got LPB with the PSP console itself as UMD and the others didn't interest me at all.

Are there a lot of free demos and stuff in the PSP store usually? Is it useful to create more than one account, my only one with a fake name is for Finland so I guess Euro store is the same for all Euro countries, right?

I think they have just been severely busy and keep timing out. It's hard to use the store without getting that stupid numerical error.

The website to change your password without your PS3 has been down since I started checking, and still is. For the hell of it, I tried bringing my PS3 in to work the other night to use the wifi there and change my password/claim my free shit. That worked fine. Played about an hour of Dead Nation and thought it was ok, while also justifying my decision to not spend money on it earlier. Also downloaded my bonus LA Noire shit, which was cool, and grabbed LBP and MNR for PSP, which I haven't tried yet. Bummer that so much of their shit still seems broken even now that it's back up, but I guess you could be right that they're being swamped by users getting their free stuff.