Squid Division

Sony Shitshow

These are Sony's new security measures. Image from their internal presentation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=685&stc=1&d=1304896342

It didn't fully sink in the first time around, but this is the best post in this thread!

I hope so, though they will do their very best to ignore it. I wonder how long the apologies will go on for? It's a pity there's not a presidential press conference type situation where journalists can just grill them.

Excellent! Then there will be a lot of empty positions.

Assault and battery is free too. Won't cost you a penny!

Seriously though, I don't think people are ungrateful. But thet have a right to be angry if their details are misused. After all, money has changed hands - not for the service, but through the service.

Hmm, I think I came off as sarcastic, because I edited a longer tirade post about how worthless their welcome back gifts are (3 movies to rent that everyone has already seen and games everyone probably owns or made the decision not to ownat this point). Then I decided it's still a free service so it's really hard to bitch. Guess I'm still annoyed because then again my personal information was taken and my password lazily unencrypted along with online service being down for two months and the most they can give me is a choice of awesome Playstation Plus benefits like free Sonic the Hedgehog 2?

Yeah, it's ungrateful of me to be dissatisfied with free stuff, but I feel like Sony deliberately put out things that everyone already owned or has seen because doing something awesome like giving everyone $10 PSN Store credit would have cost them way more money.

Also what really pissed me off is everyone who is now signing up for their free useless month of Playstation Plus must make sure to turn off automatic funding in their user options now (which is automatically on) or they will be charged by credit card at the end of the month for renewal. I'm guessing a lot of people will be skimming this message since it just looks like a bunch of ToS, which no one reads anyway. I guess I'll find out how that aspect plays out.

Oh shit, thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have known that. That said, I'm getting a free copy of LittleBigPlanet PSP and Mod Nation Racers PSP out of this. Everything else I already own. I'll take my free stuff, but I share your cynicism about their choices of games. Everything free for PS3 has been out for at least 2 years now, and I'm pretty sure that few enough people care about PSP that they can afford those who will take advantage of that deal. Good work, Sony.

EDIT: Well, I WOULD have free things if I could log in to my account. Apparently their password changing thing is under maintenance right now. Awesome. :frusty:

Edited by miffy495

Also what really pissed me off is everyone who is now signing up for their free useless month of Playstation Plus must make sure to turn off automatic funding in their user options now (which is automatically on) or they will be charged by credit card at the end of the month for renewal. I'm guessing a lot of people will be skimming this message since it just looks like a bunch of ToS, which no one reads anyway. I guess I'll find out how that aspect plays out.

I really hope Sony ends up making a bunch of money on that little aspect, that'll be fun to watch, hehe.

Not that I'm some big PS Plus supporter, I never even had it until now, but it's not really "Useless" I just downloaded like 4 free games that I will probably finish before my free month is up, and I also just checked the automatic funding option, and it looks like mine defaults to off, so the issue you speak of, probably won't ever occur.

According to this, it always defaults to, "on." So you must have turned it off at some point. This is apparently standard to anyone obtaining a PSPlus account, free or not.

http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html

When you purchase a subscription using a Master Account, Automatic Funding for that Master Account will automatically be set to "On".

i snagged Infamous and that zombie game, but I beat Infamous as a rental way back when. I would have been way more stoked with a ps1 game or two. give me Final Fantasy Tactics or MGS or Twisted Metal 2 or something. it's not like it would cost them anything

This is PSN+? Sure, it's only 5 euros/dollars a month.

It also looks like the US version offers way more interesting things.

I wanted to snag WipeOut and Infamous, but after I started the download on WipeOut, I backed out of the PSN store so I could delete some stuff to make room for Infamous. However, now I can't get back to that selection thingy to get to my copy of infamous! :(

There is a way to do that.

I no longer have the option to choose my free Welcome Back games. What can I do?

If you navigate away from the Welcome Back section of the store without choosing your free games or exit the store completely you may need to follow the below in order to choose and download your free games. On your PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Portable navigate to the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB Log into your PlayStation Network account and choose Account Management > Transaction Management > Services List Choose "PlayStation Network Promotions" from the list of services displayed Select either "PS3 Free Games" or "PSP Free Games" and then choose "Select Content"

You will be taken to the store to choose your remaining free games.

I wanted to snag WipeOut and Infamous, but after I started the download on WipeOut, I backed out of the PSN store so I could delete some stuff to make room for Infamous. However, now I can't get back to that selection thingy to get to my copy of infamous! :(

Do a search for Infamous and see whether you can download it. If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure someone on NeoGaf has a solution if you search for it :yep:

Which is standard practice as far as online subscriptions are concerned (whether they are free trials or not). When I signed up it was fairly explicit in pointing this out and I've been through the process of turning off the free trial subscription of both Qriocity as well as PS+ and it's as simple as it gets; just go to your account, find the subscriptions, and turn them off. Job done, no great pains!

I think cynicism is fine, as it's clear the free stuff is calculated, but it would have been difficult to please everyone. I for example am pretty happy as I've never played infamous and always wanted a digital copy of the PS3's LittleBigPlanet (though not prepared to pay twice). I also get LBP and MNR's on the PSP which are both very decent games based on their demos, as well as the free month of PS+ to go on top of my existing subscription.

This is PSN+?

It's value increases the longer you're a member. You get a lot a fluff each month but there's always something good around the corner, or something surprising (like an entire season of Sam & Max or Stacking on release day), there's early betas & demos, special offers, free DLC, and I think if you have a PSP it's even more valuable with all the MINI's & PSONE games they give away each month. The automatic downloading and installing of updates overnight to firmware and games you've recently played is a nice touch too, and although it's not much to get excited about the 'cloud service' provided to PS+ users works well enough (even for protected save files if I'm not mistaken). I mean you can't expect the world for the price they charge and considering it's a supplement, but I've been impressed with what they offer on the whole.

I have two free games, but what do I care? I was never going to buy them anyway, so I've not gained anything. But my info is still out there.

Do a search for Infamous and see whether you can download it. If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure someone on NeoGaf has a solution if you search for it :yep:

Yea, I did that first thing, but that didn't work. Guess I'll try that neogaf thing.

Edit: Well, that was quick! I'll post the solution here, in case the same thing happens to someone else:

Q: I no longer have the option to choose my free Welcome Back games. What can I do?

A: If you navigate away from the Welcome Back section of the store without choosing your free games or exit the store completely you may need to follow the below in order to choose and download your free games.

On your PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Portable navigate to the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB

Log into your PlayStation Network account and choose Account Management > Transaction Management > Services List

Choose “PlayStation Network Promotions” from the list of services displayed

Select either “PS3 Free Games” or “PSP Free Games” and then choose “Select Content”

You will be taken to the store to choose your remaining free games.