Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Might and Magic Heroes VI: Reordered Words

Ok, there's no such subtitle, but HOMM 6 is coming out in a few months. Is anyone looking forward to it? Personally, I'm in between. I liked the series, although I only finished the first two games and got somewhat bored by each of the later ones pretty soon.

After playing King's Bounty, I realized what I think the HOMM series is missing: a sense of humour. The games take their generic fantasy worlds way too seriously. King's Bounty was able to get rid of that serious feeling by being wacky and actually made me somewhat interested in the story and world. But I couldn't give a rats arse for any of the HOMM stories.

I still dislike the turn the series took after part 3, which was still charming and 2D. Suddenly it became very serious, 'realistic' and gritty, and that took away any appeal the world had.

Also, I'd love it if the main, hardcore Might & Magic RPG line was resurrected. Seems Ubisoft is doing basically everything with the spin-offs, and nothing with the actual RPG from which it sprang.

I always thought the greatest appeal to HOMM was playing ont he same PC with your buddy for hours and hours on end. The Franchise is a lot of fun - from working the castle upgrades, to amassing that one giant army, to exploring for mines and pooping yourself when an enemy hero entered your lands... the game is uber-complicated chess with surprisingly high re-playability.

HOMM3 was the standard, and then - yeah - they tried taking themselves seriously.

I have faith this new game was made by people that loved HOMM and people that take pride in their work. So I hope it's a well-polished product.