toblix

Realningu Japaneseru

One could propose a counter-argument that non-native English speakers have already learnt one foreign language, probably with more aptitude than most English-speakers learn any foreign languages (certainly better than I've managed, anyway), and have therefore had more practice at working outside of their home tongue. I imagine it's significantly harder to learn Japanese than to move between European languages, but at least the language centres of the brain have been better exercised.

This is all pure speculation, of course, and it probably depends much more on the individual than their nationality, anyway.

But furthermore, imagine a non-native English person learning ENGLISH, then going on to learn a different one. You already learn such a fucked up language like ours, then go on to something like Japanese, you'd have mental brain syndrome

I think people overplay how "fucked up" English is. It has its idiosyncrasies, sure, and its mixed roots can lead to some confusing inconsistencies, but it's not like it's fundamentally broken, and it's not like other languages don't have their difficult quirks.

Caveat: I'm no linguist, and can barely speak one language, let alone any extra ones. So I may be entirely wrong.

English is a cinch. Immigration (since 800 AD) has smoothed out all the difficult bits and the remaining challenge is that there are so many words that originate from different languages.

English is a cinch. Immigration (since 800 AD) has smoothed out all the difficult bits

[citation needed]

I haven't tried learning Japanese but I don't see how English could pose a problem even if all the material was in English. And I'd imagine (based on nothing at all) that English is one of the easier languages to learn, at least for a westerner.

From the trailers i've posted over here, I need some help with a Kanji.

Snap_20110418_09h36m00s_003.jpg

The rest of the sentence says: Hey, midnight TV tte<Kanji>tteru?

shitteru (shiru, to know)

Hey, do you know about Midnight TV? (lit: Hey, know Midnight TV?)

EDIT: Looking up kanji is a bitch and a half, especially when you're coming at it without any working knowledge. That said, the interfaces here can help a lot. The handwriting thing works best if you know something about typical stroke order, but even when that fails you the "multiradical" interfaces can usually help.

Edited by DIUM

shitteru (shiru, to know)

Hey, do you know about Midnight TV? (lit: Hey, know Midnight TV?)

EDIT: Looking up kanji is a bitch and a half, especially when you're coming at it without any working knowledge. That said, the interfaces here can help a lot. The handwriting thing works best if you know something about typical stroke order, but even when that fails you the "multiradical" interfaces can usually help.

どもありがとう!