dium

Anno 2070

That's a game changer. I was never really interested in Anno, not a huge fan of that genre (although I did like Settlers 2 a lot). But this new setting does tickle my interest.

i dunno, theres no way to tell at this point what it'l be like, but if it is the same guys making it... it should be pretty good :):tup:

What is this crap? A future where everything isn't colorless, cultureless and shit?

Looks excellent. If this turns out to be good I may have to build a killer PC to run it along with all the other outstanding high-end PC games I'm missing.

Holy fuck does that game look beautiful. Too bad it's a city builder. No matter how many times I've tried to get into the genre, it just doesn't seem to do anything for me. Still, I'll keep an eye on this, if only for the visual appeal.

Christ, I wasn't going to click the link because I am also not at all interested in city building games, but did so because of Miffy's exclamations. Man, those are definitely some beautiful screens.

Did anyone ever actually try this? Out of nowhere someone mentioned this as an alternative they've been playing to SimCity, and by all accounts it looks like an excellent, well-reviewed game. Not sure how it totally evaded my radar before but I'm thinking of grabbing it.

Who knows what kind of MMO-like designs they have in the pipeline?!

I read on the Steam forum you don't need to always be online, it has an offline mode after activation.

The game itself looks and sounds great, might have to give it a whirl soon.

Last time I checked they hadn't added the offline stuff yet. Do you have a forum link?

A quick perusal of torrent trackers suggests it has been cracked, too, so presumably whatever the always on stuff is doing, it's not doing enough to make the game stop working if you bypass it.

This has been a game i'd like to check out, but i can't bring myself to support something with such a gross DRM scheme.

I dislike aggressive DRM too, but I think in Anno 2070's case that particular controversy is long over. Granted the game still needs activation, but they stripped out the always-online shit after the explosive controversy it seemingly caused, culminating in Ubisoft officially dropping their always-online shit for all future games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-scrapping-always-on-drm-for-pc-games/

I guess EA figured they should explore the same road too rather than avoiding it.

It has occurred to me that this game is going to literally bum my PC in the gob, but then an upgrade has been long overdue. God knows where to start though. :(

I've played a bit of this, and I enjoy it. I'm not a huge strategy/city builder person, so I don't think I'm qualified to put it in any kind of perspective. It seems fairly robust in terms of building settlements, plus some combat, plus trading. There is a lot of game there.

I've played a fair amount of it and I enjoy it, but I prefer Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, simply because it's so much more beautiful. The game itself is essentially identical, without the little online community bits that 2070 has, which are nice but not particularly crucial.

I'm interested in the future setting because then you aren't tied to thinking "this isn't modeling the real world very well" or other such things that have been said about Sim City. It's on my Steam wishlist, but I have not yet partaken.

We had a very brief exchange about that flavor in an episode thread. I enjoy the sci-fi tropes, like making an underwater plankton farm to make specialized future goo for advanced engineers, though I understand how somebody could not care.

I got 1404 yesterday. I am really loving it so far. I can see why Chris was in love with the visual. Great move having the tutorial start off by showing you a full, vibrant city before dumping you onto your own island. Best fun I've had with supply chains in a long time.

And now i'm stuck into the campaign of 2070! It's really good. I'm not as turned off by the modern setting as i thought i would be, but i do miss the use of the word Occidental.

Also, one of the supply chains ends in the production of pasta dishes, which i find hilarious for some reason.