Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Renegade Ops

I thought I'd make a thread for this as there isn't one yet.

SEGA and Avalanche Studios (Just Cause) have announced Renegade Ops for XBLA/PSN/PC. It's a vehicular twin-stick shooter using the Just Cause 2 engine with gameplay inspired by classic games like Jackal, Cannon Fodder and Jungle Strike. Although I work at SEGA I can objectively say it'll be awesome. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-30-just-cause-dev-announces-renegade-ops

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/218659/renegade-ops-announced-gamepro-has-world-exclusive/

:tup:

Hmm... a twin-stick shooter. Never really liked that control scheme, although if it's just WASD for movement and mouse for aiming/shooting on the PC then it's ok.

Considering it comes from Avalanche Studios this game could be just a great exploding barrel of fun just like Just Cause 1+2.

Hmm... a twin-stick shooter. Never really liked that control scheme, although if it's just WASD for movement and mouse for aiming/shooting on the PC then it's ok.

Considering it comes from Avalanche Studios this game could be just a great exploding barrel of fun just like Just Cause 1+2.

Given the Avalanche head guy's recent comments on PC editions, I don't see why it wouldn't be or something equally adjustable to your liking.

Given the Avalanche head guy's recent comments on PC editions, I don't see why it wouldn't be or something equally adjustable to your liking.

Maybe... but worst case, it could be like lcatgol where controls on PC and console were terrible in different ways.

But if it is like Dessert Strike (oh come on, you can't claim Jungle Strike as inspiration when you have the original Dessert Strike) then I'm put as ease.

Looks remarkably like Assault Heroes.

What are they doing to differentiate it from that game? I liked AH and AH2 but I don't think I need another game like that.

I don't know Assult Heroes, but it does look quite of the top down shooters 90 (you know, like Desert Strike)

Giant Bomb did a quick look on this and i was instantly sold on it, i will buy this.

Looks like fantastic fun.

Wait? Is it on XBLA already?

I didn't see it on Live when i went to download Radiant Silvergun.

Grabbed it for psn. Only tried one vehicle but it seemed to have a high propensity for flipping over when turning onto a downhill incline at speed. I mean, realistic sure and it does right itself, but it's annoying anyways. I wonder if the other vehicles do better offroad.

This game looks like a nostalgia bomb. A modern take on a forgotten gamestyle, and bullshit GI Joe style 80s comic fiction.

I really was not digging this idea from just seeing videos and hearing about it, but having played the trial on XBLA I'm surprisingly into it. The handling of the car is really fun, and plowing through buildings is pretty entertaining. Beyond that, the tone is perfect. It straddles stupid and funny in a way that somehow feels much better than it did in Just Cause (to me, I know others found Just Cause more compelling). Perhaps it's because it's easier to take a downloadable game less seriously.

Anyone know what the mouse and keyboard controls will be like? My laptop is the only PC I have that works with the 360 controller, and it's been locking up worryingly frequently in games of late. My desktop is awesome after getting a new video card a couple of weeks ago, but I can't use a control pad with it. I'm mostly asking Marek here, as he's involved somewhat with the game, but anyone who may have had a chance to check out a PC preview or something?

Have to put this on the list and wait for the PC release. Looks like a lot of fun.

:tup:

I'm game.

But when will it be out? It says sept 2011... but it's almost oct.