Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

Idle Thumbs Camping

If you're not careful I'll tell him you said that and the resulting outraged sputter will be heard ALL THE WAY TO SHROPSHIRE.

(Especially since that doesn't really sound anything like JN, as far as I can see.)

Sounded a lot like AP to me.

For the first website you ever did, and in only three hours(???), it's excellent. I've seen WAY worse. In fact, it's better than 90% of the sites I've seen for B&Bs etc.

Thanks man. :tup: I have the power of the mac to thank for that though. It just made everything so easy. :)

Provisionally, I am in for this :tup:

If you're not careful I'll tell him you said that and the resulting outraged sputter will be heard ALL THE WAY TO SHROPSHIRE.

(Especially since that doesn't really sound anything like JN, as far as I can see.)

It was a little bit J Nash. As was the above :)

Again, being clear and concise AND having at least a bit of identity are completely compatible…

Either of those do have an visual identity and are pretty simple and straightforward…

http://instagalleryapp.com/

http://www.golivebutton.com/

Don't tell me you can't do that cause you're no designer, I know that, but I said I could help you with that part, what you have to do is communicate an intention besides the typical bullshit "dynamic" "simple" and "easy to use" because as you can easily imagine nobody wants a "boring" "complicated" or "clusterfuck of an interface" website…

Again, being clear and concise AND having at least a bit of identity are completely compatible…

Either of those do have an visual identity and are pretty simple and straightforward…

http://instagalleryapp.com/

http://www.golivebutton.com/

Don't tell me you can't do that cause you're no designer

I'm not willing to help, but I thought I'd criticize the Ozzk's example nonetheless : to me, those 2 sites are very confusing and thus not to be followed : everything seems to be clickable but only some items are and on instagalleryapp the four buttons at the bottom don't do anything when you click on them... also, golive uses 5 different fonts, a bright yellow background and I can't even tell what it's about after looking at it for 2 minutes.

So, your camping website could be a little less template-y; but those seem to go completely overboard imo.

So, your camping website could be a little less template-y; but those seem to go completely overboard imo.

GoLive is terrible in my opinion, it's cluttered and overwhelming.

Instagallery is cleaner, I quite like it.

However, they both fall into the 'I'm an internet designer, therefore this website must have either: A. A leather or wood texture for the background. or B. Old advertising style art to communicate my point.' trap.

I think design has become far too homogenous, sure, both those things can look nice, but that doesn't mean every website should have them.

Anyway, I don't see why this website for a camping site in rural England should follow either GoLive or Instagallery's examples. Why not make something appropriate for the thing you're trying to sell instead of something that looks like every other designer's wet dream?

Keep it simple stupid, as the saying goes.

Well, I think both of those have a pixel that's really misplaced therefore any argument made by anyone citing those as examples is de-facto null and void.

Also, my point was that "clear" and "clean" don't mean "grey"and "without anything in there"

It was a little bit J Nash. As was the above :)

(HAS EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KILLED.)

(No, hang on, this isn't helping my case.)

Site is live. It hasn't changed much, truth be told, and sorry Ossk, any significant changes in the short term are beyond my meagre abilities.

I did however, spent a happy day in the sun cutting some steps into the river bank and driving some posts in the ground to make a boggo rail to help canoeists drag their shit out. Felt nice to be actually *making* something. It's a bit heath-robinson truth be told, but I was dead chuffed with the result. Loads better than being stuck in an office! :tup:

Off on a canoe trip this weekend down the Severn, Shrewsbury - Atcham on sat, and then maybe Atcham - Ironbridge on sunday. Looking forward to it! :yep:

When I see the photos you posted, I really want to spend a day in the sun and camping there, it really, truly seems like a nice place to be.

Then I look at the site all white and grey with light typos, I'm really sorry if I'm being too much of a dick now but then again working at a place that's modern both in style and architecture, I really feel exactly…

stuck in an office!

I'll shut up now.

Finished 9 mile canoe trip. Gorgeous day, beautiful river Severn. Off on 14 mile trip tomoz!

Oh! Thanks for an image so giant it crashed Mobile Safari.

Oooh, yes please! I'm so up for this! If we're gonna have a group camping trip, we'd probably already should start scheduling a date? Shouldn't wait too long if we want a decent group of Thumbs together. :tup:

Yo. I have requested leave in August (not sure exact dates yet) and I am still up for this. I'll post the exact dates when the rota people get their shit together.

whowidme?

Currently have about 3 electric points left for bank holiday weekend, and loads of space left for the rest of the month. Shall I hold one spot for you just in case your leave arrives on that date? How long will the rota folk take d'you think?

What I'm thinking is - you have a trailer tent do you not? - is put you on the main site. If other peeps decide to come in tents, will put all the tents up in the 'canoe' area (where campfire and noise is possible), and then you can shuttle back and forth as necessary. Will put you as close as poss. to the canoe area.