Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

Idle Thumbs Camping

Re: trailer tent, yeh that's all good, although that would place you in the area with no campfire. If everyone else brought tents, and they wanted to be in the fire area, then you'd be not near everyone, but it's quite small and would only take 2 minutes to walk there.

I've just spent the evening re-designing the site, and purchased some hosting space, so it is now marginally better, although still not yet uploaded. It's only with iWeb too, but it's passable.

P.s. I love macs. They make life so easy.

P.p.s. Are there any videos of this fire staff?

P.p.s. Are there any videos of this fire staff?

0brK-Szozz8

My wick is about half the length of that but it give a good idea.

emot-black101.gif

That is all I see happening here. (Wish I could go. :violin:)

Presumably you'll be choosing the coldest night of the year so everyone has to huddle together in one tent for warmth? Know what I mean, eh?

Eh? Eh? Eh?

And then you'll be running over that tent with a bulldozer?

Presumably you'll be choosing the coldest night of the year so everyone has to huddle together in one tent for warmth? Know what I mean, eh?

Eh? Eh? Eh?

And then you'll be running over that tent with a bulldozer?

Lol. I think you've managed to absorb the spirit of Jonathan Nash. Very good :tup:

I think you've managed to absorb the spirit of J Nash

If you're not careful I'll tell him you said that and the resulting outraged sputter will be heard ALL THE WAY TO SHROPSHIRE.

(Especially since that doesn't really sound anything like JN, as far as I can see.)

Edited by subbes

Indeed. Then again, I'm no designer, it's the first website I've ever bothered to do and it took me 3 hours. :)

Happy to field (ho ho) ideas, if anyone can be bothered.

Well…*What do you want to say, what do you want people who see you site to see, to think of it or to think about ?

Could be "super hype camping thing" or "very low brow natural thing" or…*anything, you come up with the ideas you want to convey and then we will talk about design :)

That website is totally fine for the purpose it serves.

You could try adding a banner type of photo under the menu in each page (different shot for every page). That way some of the pages didn't look so spare. Otherwise very clean and gives you all the information you need.

Wouldn't hurt to have some friendly music playing in the background to put you in the camping mood. I'm sure there's a jQuery plugin for that.

Hm. Well I mainly wanted it to be clean and very clear where the important info is - i.e. contact details and price list! There is a canoeing blog section, but I need some more photos for that.

I will have a think about what more I want it to do.

That website is totally fine for the purpose it serves.

If the purpose of a site is to be memorable and to make people want to come to your camping filed rather than any other one, my opinion is that it does not.

Even in it's style it lacks a little balance and identity.

But then again, I started by saying "nice" because I think that for a first try it's really well done. My intervention only meant that people coming to the site care little about the fact that you're not a professional, they only see the result which does not say much about the place you would like to advertise.

In what way is it different from any other one ? Clean, clear and well organized are second-term goals, you're talking about the website with those words, not about the farm and terrain themselves.

And if there's one page that you want people to like, make it the price page :)

also : I have no idea of the time you have to work on that so I might shut my mouth on this.

I'm an avid camper (oooh errr missus) and I think the site is pretty good compared to alot of camping site websites of a similar size (i.e the bigger more commercial sites have snazzy websites etc, but alot of the smaller ones have rubbish sites).

Just a couple of quick comments from a practical point of view.

1.The pricing of the awning and tent. The price range you quote is a bit confusing and would require a telephone call to you to be able to budget properly. There's a potential difference of around £30 over a week if my maths is roughly correct. From a customer point of view, is nicer to know these things without having to ring up if you see what I mean.

2. It's great you have fishing! You might want to say that people will still need a national rod license to fish there, everybody needs a rod license wherever you are. (I used to fish for a team and everything)

3. I think the wifi is fucking brilliant. That's all I have to say about that.

4. It looks like a great location, is it noisy next to the road?

5. I think if you are going to have children camping too, you seriously ought to consider installing a fence along the riverbank, if a child fell in, it looks like they would be swept away which would generate seriously bad PR. That's the cautious Dad in me talking there, my children will be on river lockdown.

I mean all this in a constructive way and I think overall it's pretty user friendly and has most of the information I would want as a customer, not bad for three hours work Scrobbser:tup:

So, hopefully sometime in August then. That should give Toblix and Poo and everybody else enough notice to get their acts in gear :tup::tup:

Ossk:

From my time living in Britain and looking for hostels and such for small trips, I learned to appreciate clear and concise websites. That's the viewpoint I had when looking at the site.

That should give Toblix and Poo and everybody else enough notice to get their acts in gear :tup::tup:

You have better think again if you think I'm going to spend a weekend in a sweaty tent full of naked men and fishing poles.

Re: pricing, a full size awning would put an extra 7.50/5 nights. A small tent is a tenner, a large six man is 14, with electric a bit more - per night.

You have better think again if you think I'm going to spend a weekend in a sweaty tent full of naked men and fishing poles.

Oh alright......we'll leave the fishing rods at home.

HAPPY NOW?

Umm well, yeah probably. I think it's a really cool 'draw' to your campsite even better if it was free wifi.

we usually take a laptop when we go camping to download family snaps onto it thus freeing mem cards and I think if there was wifi available we would probably sign up for that too, probably.

I say probably because it would have to be cheap as I can check emails and things from my iPhone. I would probably pay around £2 or so for the week unless the wifi was good enough to watch iPLayer for example, then I would pay a bit more.

Indeed. Then again, I'm no designer, it's the first website I've ever bothered to do and it took me 3 hours. :)

Happy to field (ho ho) ideas, if anyone can be bothered.

For the first website you ever did, and in only three hours(???), it's excellent. I've seen WAY worse. In fact, it's better than 90% of the sites I've seen for B&Bs etc.