Thompson

Dreams!

I had the most wonderful dream that the project I'm on at work was done, and I got to choose what we worked on next and it was glorious!

And then I woke up.

Oh I also had a dream that I was learning how to do magic in a flying fortress. I assume it was influenced by my recent completion of Dragon Age: Origins (even though I didn't play a mage, and there are no flying fortresses). I don't remember any details I just know there were a lot of people and we spent a lot of time doing pointless shit while trying to save the world.

I don't remember any details I just know there were a lot of people and we spent a lot of time doing pointless shit while trying to save the world.

Sounds like a video game all right.

For some reason sometimes my dreams are fractals - I go over the narrative events of the dream, and then I revisit them, adding detail after detail in ways that contradict the larger context.

For instance, I dreamt I was a young lady (huh) on a spaceship who'd come across a terrible secret of the... Good Guy Organisation, I didn't have their name. On one level I knew there were fights against evil space aliens in my future, but right now I was trying to evade capture after finding this terrible secret and not being able to read more than a few lines, and there's a secret room that can be reached from the mess hall, and a little alcove up near the docking bay. Except it's a secret my mother knew, and she's with me, but she doesn't have time to tell me, and now I can teleport and walk through walls so this time I don't kill the guards and -

I had a dream last night where my partner and I went to the supermarket to do a huge grocery shop. We ended up being too involved in our shopping to notice the store closing until it was too late where we spent some more time in the aisles arguing over what brand of spread to buy and whether we should go to another aisle first before the checkout. When we finally found a cashier the entire place was locked and there was only one staff member left in the store and she proceeded to glower at us while she checked out our goods.

It was all for nothing though because as I was walking our shopping trolley loaded with goods back to our house I ended up losing control of the trolley which sent all our food into the ocean which was quickly carried off by a 1.2 metre swell.

Then my Dad came over and growled at me for losing all the food, the end.

Another dream involved a warship, my partner and I gaining civilian access to it, unaccompanied exploration of the ship, a stakeout spent spying on another ship, and multiple rides on a military grade helicopter.

Our awesome and kinda illegal adventure came to an end though when our return trip on the helicopter ended up with all four rotors snapping off after being obstructed by powerlines while travelling over an upmarket shopping district. Everything ended okay though as we crash landed on the sidewalk with no-one injured and we were able to disembark safely and say hi to my mother who was shopping for a new handbag.

For some reason sometimes my dreams are fractals - I go over the narrative events of the dream, and then I revisit them, adding detail after detail in ways that contradict the larger context.

For instance, I dreamt I was a young lady (huh) on a spaceship who'd come across a terrible secret of the... Good Guy Organisation, I didn't have their name. On one level I knew there were fights against evil space aliens in my future, but right now I was trying to evade capture after finding this terrible secret and not being able to read more than a few lines, and there's a secret room that can be reached from the mess hall, and a little alcove up near the docking bay. Except it's a secret my mother knew, and she's with me, but she doesn't have time to tell me, and now I can teleport and walk through walls so this time I don't kill the guards and -

That's really cool! I kind of do the same thing with establishing and going over set locations in my dreams but I rarely get to revisit a full narrative. Although some locations, towns, coastlines, (usually beaches) might end up with some narratives recycled.

There was a period in my life where I had a few dreams that were set in a version of Edinburgh, which I visited only in the last few years. Most of the details were flat-out wrong, so I guess I must have seen something about Edinburgh on TV and my brain amalgamated the famous view of the castle (which is from the east) with the charming irregular streets (which are on the west) and the British trains (which are to the south, and are definitely not high enough to give you a view of the castle).

Dreamt last night that I had become a professional fake gamer.  People would stream themselves playing a game but would pay me to be the one actually playing the game so they could look good in front of their audience.  For some reason, the location I would play the games from was once a bar which is weird because I don't drink.  It had a great setup though, nearly a dozen stations with different consoles at each one so that I could play whatever game was required.

You should check out The Peripheral, the new William Gibson novel. One of the protagonists basically does that for a living.

I dreamt I made a really good vine of a sunset through the open doors of a moving train, then woke up and felt sad for a second that it didn't actually exist and I couldn't post it.

I became leader of some galactic empire of space slugs. They all loved me or respected me if they didn't love me. I didn't want to lead them, but I begrudgingly accepted. They kept trying to convince me to eat their food but they're space slugs dangit. I'm a human! There was one guy-slug on the HIGH COUNCIL or whatever in particular who didn't-love-but-respected me and was mostly just sad/angry that he didn't seem to Need to Exist anymore. We were always at odds because he was trying to stay relevant in this new human-led space-slug empire. But then there was a threat to the human race! Some sort of evil force was attacking and destroying humans! I assigned the Slug at Odds to investigate and solve this problem and he started crying because he was so happy and I was like "OF COURSE I NEED YOU!" Then I was in a space-future human-colony-building and helping Slug at Odds investigate/deal with a situation on this particular colony. We found a bunch of surviving humans and a bunch of dead mutilated humans and we got all the living humans in the same room. But then AHHH half the humans turned into evil possessed humans with crazy gross creatures coming out of their heads! A fight broke out and a few of us Regular Humans were on one side of a table. One Possessed Human was on the other side of the table. Possessed Human tried to attack, but ran into the table and ended up accidentally kissing his pal from earlier when he wasn't possessed and they both backed off, freaking out at the accidental kiss. Then Possessed Human screams and bent over at the waist and gross crazy creature came out of his head. I grabbed a pair of scissors and tried to cut its head off but only managed to clip its mouth and slice that a little bit. But then I STABBED IT IN THE LONG NECK THING and started pulling it out of the possessed dude and possessed dude started screaming NO STOP PLEASE NO.

Then I woke up.

I don't understand where this dream came from. But I'm glad I'm remembering my weird-ass dreams again because this was fucking weird. Also after waking up it struck me that the space slugs and the evil force were the same race, but the space slugs I was ruling over were Good Space Slugs and the evil force were Bad Space Slugs. And also that Slug at Odds was inside me and we were working together. Like those rebel Yeerks in Animorphs. Listen I don't know. This was a weird dream.

My cat Panda had a balding stripe down her back, with little red bumps. I took her to the vet, and in the vet's waiting room there was a man telling me about how this vet is where they took Michael Jackson before he 'went into hiding.' My dream logic self argued that this couldn't possibly be true as Michael Jackson would never skip all those sick pets waiting in line.

Somehow I had ended up at some local government gathering, in what very much looked like some kind of mix between a small theater and a high school/university lecture hall. I was being guided around by one of the politicians who showed me a wall on which there were head shots of all the politicians mounted. The pictures looked very much like head shots for actors/models. He told me how one of the Pirate party politicians (pointing to an image I know belongs to a Swedish opera singer rather than a politician) had successfully blocked one of the Swedish Democrats (Anti-immigrant party) from achieving something before he led me into the hall.

The hall seemed to have just been home to some other function than the one I was attending for, so people were filing out of their seats as we were looking for ours. All of a sudden i glimpsed the faces of one of my best friends and his girlfriend in the row above the one I was standing in. I audibly gasped and rushed over to greet and hug them. I was so happy. I haven't met them for a long time in real life, but their representations in my dream were so accurate and lifelike that I could barely contain my excitement over seeing them again. Woke up shortly after that, while my friend was telling me that he had won a TV in some kind of draw with his seat number.

Fuck. I miss these guys.

I ended up with a fantastic dream last night. I can't remember every detail but the major beats were:

Surviving/outwitting traps and sinister individuals in some kind of Dark Souls inspired evil Manor. Along the way I somehow either unleashed a hidden terror or my visit happened to coincide with the start of a major fantasy war between the forces of good and evil.

I end up escaping the darkness of the manor before coming across what seems like a line of defence for the forces of order in the area. There are a couple of houses, a wooden tower, and a line of wooden stakes in the ground and I'm watching processions of soldiers and refugees walk into a valley; apparently the commanders have tactically given up the area?

Anyway I remain in one of the houses living with three other men when suddenly a fireball smashes into the house which collapses the building onto myself and a few others. We struggle trying to fulfil our basic needs for some time before everything fades out. 

I end up back to the point where I was watching the processions of soldiers and refugees. This time when we're left alone and the fireball comes none of us survivors are injured dramatically. We survive and even thrive for a few weeks/months But I think we decided to leave the area one by one. There are no good byes. Our time together more than makes up for any words said at the end.

Finally alone for the first time in many months I leave the house that for all its perils became my home and venture out into the wilds. I don't encounter any evils on my journey. I think the sinister beings unleashed at the manor are content with their land grab for now. I don't encounter much of anything as I walk through an enchanted forest. Only trees, waterfalls, and critters are there to welcome me. Finally after much travelling I come across a cliff side which overlooks the edge of the forest. Hundreds of feet below me lies a vast lake with many small settlements positioned around it as well as a road that I believe I can travel to from the forest from either side of the lake. I see many towns that look like the idealised fantasy sort. Most impressively at the centre of the highway at the other side of the lake lies a massive city surrounded by a giant curtain wall and divided into three unequal sections. I look at the city and think wow okay that's where I'm going to call my home.

But the most awe inspiring thing isn't the city it's a cube that rises from the ocean behind the city and absolutely dwarfs the surrounding area with it's magnitude. It's entirely covered in geometric detail and even from a cliff I can see the underside which has vast waterfalls spilling out of it. I see it and realise that this is the wellspring of eternity where basically all life and energy emerges and that simply living near a divine artefact like that is a privilege in itself.

So I then had to actually get to the fabled city and luckily I find a massive stone structure with some kind of cable car that'll take me straight to it! But I have to sneak on board first by evading several traps designed to keep out intruders from times gone by. I think it's this point that I see my first other human for at least a month. Luckily I manage to evade them but that also robbed me of the chance to see how they behaved.

I make it onto the car and travel to the city and when I arrive at the destination terminal I realise that the city looks a lot less traditionally fantastical than I thought. Something about the skyscrapers, digital advertising signs, and the hovering tour buses gives me that feeling. 

Upon entering the city I also realise that there is a somewhat sinister air floating about, I notice other people dressed like the person I saw at the other terminal and they seem to act like some sort of police in a somewhat capitalist society that has a firmer view of what people can and can't do than our own. I instinctively realise that to acknowledge my existence as an outsider is to be arrested and interrogated for some time so I immediately set about integrating myself with the locals by taking a trip on the touring hover bus.

As I travel around the city I realise that I can no longer see the divine construct I appreciated from afar. What I do see instead is a society that has become rotten but does a rather excellent job of preventing it from becoming too apparent. 

So what do I do? I make friends with the fellows on the bus and we decide to take it over! We activate the flight mode and race around the city encouraging the populace to rise up (they do, rather successfully) before landing on the tallest building and disembarking knowing that the hegemony has been toppled for the best and that I can disappear into the background and safely wake up.

Sorry for any comprehension or flow errors I was remembering a lot of it as I went and now feel the powerful urge to leave my keyboard for a bit.

I had an awesome dream last night.  I dreamt that I Chris, Sean, and Jake lived in a house across the street from me.  They had a giant bay window in their living room and I could see them doing stuff.  Sean was asleep on the couch, Chris was in the corner with a guitar, and Jake was playing some kind of Kinect game which resulted in him jumping around like an idiot.  One of them spotted me outside the window and we started talking.  Then time suddenly skipped and we were at my house playing a Rock Band type game but it used the Kinect as well so we had a mix of fake instruments and air instruments.  Also their girlfriends/spouses were there (except I only know what one of them looks like in real life so the others were amalgamations of celebrities).  I think Danielle and her girlfriend were there at some point too.  The whole thing turned into a big video game house party and it was probably the most fun I've ever had in a dream.  And that includes a lucid dream I once had where I could fly.

I had a very vivid and bizarre dream last night. It was rife with undecipherable meaning in the way that the best dreams are:

I’m working the cash register and an old friend, someone I haven’t seen for maybe ten years came through the lane. I addressed him by his long, unwieldy full name, it was a name I used to use to get on his nerves.

“You probably don’t recognize me because of my beard,” I say. He has a beard now too.

---

We start to reminisce about the old days and then we’re back there, in rural Connecticut. We’re walking at the edge of a fast-moving river full of boulders. Then it’s a small man-made pond meant for ice-skating, but full of scum and frogs in the late summer. I notice patterns in the ripples on the surface, and in the croaking of the frogs. They seem to be telling me something; I decipher several phrases.

“You will have perform an action three times”

“There will be a tower of crumbling screens”

“Somewhere to the east, you will look out on a beautiful vista”

I understand that these phrases will come true, or have already been true in the past. They relate to something else that happened to me here. Memories begin to stir and I go back further.

---

Two friends and I (these are different friends than the one at the cash register) are bored, so we decide to go somewhere. We cross the river and the soccer fields, then a road and an old wooden fence. Somewhere over there is an old house in a marsh, half over-grown and hidden behind cattails. We climb in through a window and enter a living room. It is filthy, with a torn up and stained carpet and garish wooden walls. Empty food containers litter the room. There’s a pile of broken CRT monitors in one corner with shabby cat curled up on top.

There’s no one home, but I’m nervous. I don’t remember why we’re here, why we decided to trespass. I’m afraid that the owner will return, and I’m feeling guilty for being here.

The house is full of ugly things; tacky art, weird metal contraptions made of screws and twisted metal; covered with dried fluids and rust. Everything seems broken. The dust, the smell, the heaviness of the air is overpowering.

We go upstairs into a small room. It’s barren except for some debris on the wall-to-wall carpet and three vegetables nailed to the wall; a zucchini, a yellow squash, and a white eggplant. They’re half-rotten and ridden with bugs. The white eggplant in particular catches my attention. A hole has been deliberately gouged out of its center and strange fungal growths or maggots are spilling out of it like organs. It looks like someone has been dismembering it slowly, as if trying to cause it real pain. Flies crawl in and out. The state of the fruit makes me feel miserable, tortured. I somehow identify with its suffering.

---

There are footsteps outside, the person who lives here is coming back. I wipe dust off a nearby window and see a man coming towards the house. He’s old and hunched, bearded and wearing plaid. My friends and I just stand there; we don’t know what to do. There’s nowhere to hide. The man opens the door and steps inside. He doesn't seem surprised to see us. In fact, he has a genuinely kind and caring look on his face. Nevertheless, I am filled with fear and anger. I have a baseball bat and I aim it straight at his forehead. He falls to his knees and I hit him again. The feeling is visceral and frightening. I hear parts of his body breaking underneath the force of the bat. He’s on the ground face down now. One of my friends tells me that I need to hit him one last time. I feel disgusted with myself and guilty, sick to my stomach. I hit him a third time and he is certainly dead now.

I have the vague feeling that killing him was a justified act. My friends and I head towards the door that the man entered the house from and I open it up. It leads out to a balcony and beyond the balcony there is a vista of endless sky, twilit and dotted with stars. I find the sight profoundly moving. The light of the stars grows brighter and overtakes my vision. I’m fading away from this place.

---

The white of the stars dims into the white of a hospital room. I’m lying in the bed severely injured. There are tubes running into me. I look to my left and see my two friends lying there, also injured. There are cuts on their face and bandages on their body. One needs a mask to breathe.

A doctor is standing nearby, looking at me.

“Was it the right thing to do?” I ask. She smiles and nods, then leaves.

My friend, the one with the breathing mask, turns towards me and opens his eyes slightly.

“Did it really happen the way we said it did? Did it happen like I dreamed it?”

He closes his eyes. and turns away.

I had a dream last night, and the only things I remember are:

1) this awesome library that included stuff like leatherbound volumes of an unfinished version of Osamu Tezuka's Vampires (one huuuuuge red volume and one much smaller dark grey volume, both with loads of supplemental meterial inside) and, inexplicably, a ten-volume set of leatherbound Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comics attributed to KC Green (on the understanding that he had apparently taken over SBAHJ for decades after the death of Andrew Hussie)

2) being trapped in a giant indoor mall with thousands of other people

3) meeting Patrick Klepek in said mall and showing him the series thirteen minifigs that can be used to make an accurate Lego version of himself (the face, the hair, and everything else)

I just realised how scary my Dark Souls dream was from a weeks ago when I had a revisit last night. I didn't even clue in that I'd been there before until I came across an evil looking spike trap and proceeded to walk directly to a warehouse were last time I fought a pretty creepy mix of undead dog and hell dog/Cerberus.

I pretty much 'noped' the heck out of there then.

Oh and later last night I had a dream where I played several super disappointing games of Dota 2. It was crushing.

Something was nagging at me about the dream that I wrote about a few days ago... it seemed familiar.

It turns out there was something weird going on... here's a post I made about a year and a half ago in this very thread:

I had a dream that I moved into an apartment I'd never been to with a dude I'd never met before. He seemed alright, but when we got to the apartment, things went downhill. The apartment turned out to be a gritty 80s cyber-punk style alleyway, with dim colored lighting and steam rising from grates in the floor. There were all sorts of seedy looking people just sleeping around the room on the ground. My room mate was cooking meat on a spit over a makeshift fire that he'd started in the center of the room. When all the meat had been eaten he said that he had to go out and get some more, and he needed me to go with him.

We went out onto the streets and approached the door of a nice, wholesome looking all-American style house with a white picket fence and freshly-mown lawn. Suddenly he handed me a baseball bat and told me to wait off to one side of the door while he knocked. When the door opened, two ostriches emerged. They looked just like normal ostriches, but it was understood that they were the family which lived in the house. They seemed mildly annoyed at my room-mate's presence, but they hadn't noticed me yet. Suddenly my room mate started yelling at and verbally berating me, telling me to 'do it' because it was the only way we would get food. Eventually I gave in and hit the ostrich over the head with the baseball bat. It was only stunned, but now the ostriches saw me and they were angry. I felt like I had to kill or be killed, so before the bird could react I hit again, harder this time and it crumpled to the floor as its family looked on.

And that, my friends, is why you don't move in with a room mate you've never met. You never know when you might be forced to become complicit in ostrich-murder.

Yes, that makes two dreams where I beat a stranger to death with a baseball bat in their own home. I don't really know what to make of this, but it's definitely a bit worrying.

I dreamed that I rented a house from nachimir. There was a rat. When he came to catch it, the rat ran up his sleeve which caused me to laugh a lot. Then he threw the rat out the window and it started jumping trying to get back in. It was a large white rat.

Oh man, i had a second part to that dream. Me and my cousin went to a castle that was also like did shitty historical reenactments. I threw a Frisbee really badly and it broke in a tree. I could only find a tiny sliver, but just before i woke up i was about to cast a magic spell that would replace the tiny bit i had with the rest of it that i didn't. Also, there was a town with lots of neon lights and a crazy tower in the middle of it. And everyone else was walking, but i was on a kind of cart thing.

Also, i just looked up the Rat Cook and that is pretty awesome.

I dreamt I was in a blizzard looking for shelter. I came upon a wall of ice with an opening a few metres off the ground, and it had a rope hanging out of it. Except it wasn't a rope, it was a bunch of sheets tied together end-to-end, the way damsels use them to escape from towers or something. So I start pulling on the sheet rope, and it keeps coming and coming, all these different colours and patterns of sheet, like a line of handkerchiefs coming out of a magician's sleeve. And just when I think it couldn't possibly get any longer it reaches the end, but it turns out it wasn't even attached to anything so it just kind of sadly falls out and lands in the snow, leaving me trapped in the blizzard.

WHAT DOES IT MEEEEEAN

I had a dream last night that I used Uber (which I've never done) to get a ride to the airport.  Except my Uber driver turned out to be George Clooney.  Instead of driving me to the airport, he instead drove me to an empty restaurant and we ate a meal cooked by various celebrity chefs (such as Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, and Alton Brown).  After the meal he finally took me to the airport and I got in a private jet flown by John Travolta.  It turned out that I had won some contest, although the entire time there were no cameras or anything telling me that it was part of a contest.

I had a dream last night that I used Uber (which I've never done) to get a ride to the airport.  Except my Uber driver turned out to be George Clooney.  Instead of driving me to the airport, he instead drove me to an empty restaurant and we ate a meal cooked by various celebrity chefs (such as Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, and Alton Brown).  After the meal he finally took me to the airport and I got in a private jet flown by John Travolta.  It turned out that I had won some contest, although the entire time there were no cameras or anything telling me that it was part of a contest.

And then you woke up and discovered you were now a member of the Church of Scientology.