Thompson

Dreams!

I'm disappointed in your mental image of me, Snoogle.

I'm going to ressurect this thread because I had a dream last night that kind of disturbs me.

I don't know if it's because of E3 and I have video games on the brain or the simply HUGE number of zombie themed games, but I had a zombie-esque dream.  I was a little kid, maybe 7-10, and playing in a large stream with a girl of about the same age.  Suddenly, it becomes night and the moon is red.  This causes some people to turn into zombie-like creatures with red eyes.  They become psychopathic killers who are hostile to anyone who's not affcted, like myself and the girl, but they're also somewhat rational in that they can speak and act like a normal person (who wants to kill you).    My older brother shows up and he's got red eyes, so the girl and I try to run away.  Eventually he corners her and I have attack to my brother to save her.  After some physical and verbal sparring, I shoot him in the leg with a shotgun I somehow obtained.  Rather than finish him off, I force him to walk into a forest full of things I know will kill him.  As a horde of red eyed people comes toward the girl and I, I wake up.

As dreams usually go, it felt very real at the time and for a little while after I woke up.  But the part that disturbs me and I can't stop thinking about is that I'm an only child, I have no brothers.

That's weird. Because I had a dream last night where I had become a zombie-like creature and saw my younger brother trying to run away with some girl. I really wanted to meet her so I chased after them to try to catch up. I finally caught up and started to introduce myself (I was a nice zombie) when my younger brother attacked me and then blew a hole in my leg with a shotgun. Then he dragged me into a forest to leave me to die and I woke up. I also have no brothers.

But seriously dude, cool dream. I am envious of people that have crazy dreams and remember them the next morning. I rarely dream and when I do I rarely remember anything about it.

I used to remember my dreams all the time, and they were always so awesome. Once I was in prison in some dystopian society started speaking in Japanese and subtitles popped up in front of me so the person I was talking to could understand me. Once I got monkey powers in a gigantic condo at the beach where we were sharing it with another family and I liked the girl from the other family and flew down several flights of stairs by swinging on chandeliers and sliding on stairway rails to impress her.

Dreams are rad.

I wish I could still remember them. Sometimes I wake up and there's a hint of memory of something AMAZING but then it's gone.

I think it's because now I have to wake up to alarms instead of just sleeping in as long as I want, like I did in college.

My favorite dreams as a kid were always the ones where I realized I was dreaming in the middle of the dream. It happened only a couple of times for me and I would usually wake up shortly after realizing I was in a dream but I usually had enough time to run around and punch a few people and just do random crap in my own little dream world.

My favorite dreams as a kid were always the ones where I realized I was dreaming in the middle of the dream. It happened only a couple of times for me and I would usually wake up shortly after realizing I was in a dream but I usually had enough time to run around and punch a few people and just do random crap in my own little dream world.

That's happened to me exactly once.  I'm not sure how or why I realized it.  I then proceeded to give myself super powers and basically re-enacted every cool thing I had seen in movies or games.

The one thing that bugs me about it happening only once is that there are several things that happen to me frequently in dreams that are clear signs of that I'm dreaming but I never seem to realize it until either just before I wake or right after I wake up.  For instance, I can't run in dreams.  Every time I try, my body moves like it's in water.  I can feel myself wanting to run and my limbs move like they should be, but I can't seem to move forward at the speed my motion would suggest, even if there are no obstructions.  It happens a lot but for some reason I never figure it out until it's too late.

For instance, I can't run in dreams.

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Maybe our brains are playing out some pre-scripted sequence and us trying to run from something doesn't jive with what our brains decide is supposed to happen in the dream. 

A lot of people have that "can't run" feeling in dreams. Pretty common. Happens to me all the time. Or, at least, I assume it still does.

I also used to have lots of dreams about slowly floating up into a fan. Often after drinking chocolate milk, for some reason.

Fuckin' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

ALSO I had a dream where a sexy vampire lady told me I had to have sex with her (not a direct quote) in order to save my family that she was holding captive. This is when I was really young, before I knew what sex was, and I only put it together after actually learning what sex was, and then I was really confused.

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Maybe our brains are playing out some pre-scripted sequence and us trying to run from something doesn't jive with what our brains decide is supposed to happen in the dream. 

Are you telling me my dreams have unskippable cutscenes?!  And my brain is making scripted sequences?!   :campbell:

A lot of people have that "can't run" feeling in dreams. Pretty common. Happens to me all the time. Or, at least, I assume it still does

I seem to have a reoccuring version of this where I am trying to punch someone in the face and my punches are either weak or super slow. It sucks even more because it's usually someone I really despise at the moment and they are just laughing at me.

Yeah, I get the running and punching thing. Someone told me once that it's because our actual body is asleep and we can't move it, so that translates into our dream. The cool thing is, soon after I was told that, it happened to me again but I remembered what I'd been told and realised I was dreaming, which led to me having my first and only lucid dream, where I could control what was happening, which was amazing. I've tried to get it to happen again but can't.

The only two lucid dreams I remember having were both when I was a kid.

In one, a bunch of dream stuff was happening and I ended up falling into a river near the end. I couldn't swim and as I was sinking I realized I could still breathe. That made me realize I was dreaming and I spent the rest of the dream just swimming around underwater (realizing I was dreaming apparently gave me the ability to swim) and doing all kinds of acrobatic underwater shit before I woke up. It was fun.

I don't remember much about the other dream except that I realized I was dreaming at some point, spawned a magic carpet for myself, and just flew around. I remember flying over waterfalls and stuff and I think I also spawned Aladdin to ride on the magic carpet with me. I was having so much fun going wherever I wanted to go and was very sad when I woke up and my magic carpet was gone.

I was also lucky enough to remember a very small portion of a dream I had last night. There was a parrot walking around on the ground in front of me and for whatever reason I was responsible for picking the parrot up and giving it back to its owner. I spent awhile trying to get it to come over to me and it eventually felt comfortable enough to walk over and perch on my outstretched finger. I then stood up with the parrot on my finger to show everyone else how awesome I was for getting him. It was really weird because I distinctly remember feeling the weight of the parrot perched on my finger and I remember smelling that parrot smell.

I realize I probably had this dream because I spent all day yesterday thinking about how to distract that parrot in Monkey Island 2.

This thread reminded me that I usually keep a blog of the dreams I remember having. (Haven't used it in a while, but I haven't had many I remember lately, so, yeah.)

Link for the Curious

I read the latest one you have on there. Fucked up but very entertaining.

I wonder what a baby head in a bottle of nail polish represents?

I read the latest one you have on there. Fucked up but very entertaining.

I wonder what a baby head in a bottle of nail polish represents?

A death of innocence through sexual awakening. The nail polish as makeup represents the sexualization of women. The baby's head is representative of youth, and by that nature, innocence. The baby's head is trapped within the bottle of nail polish, so the youthful innocence is taken away by the representation of sexuality.

...or I'm just talking out my ass right now.

Last night I dreamt that I was walking through a rich neighborhood and into a cul de sac where I discovered a black, plastic trash can two stories tall at the end of a driveway, waiting to be picked up in the morning. Somehow, I got a bunch of pine sap on a $40,000 sedan in one of the driveways. The owner came out and expected me to pay for the car, but I was like "I can't" so he was nice enough to compromise and told me to come over for the next few days to clean it with a brush. I told him that usually when I do that type of thing, I rub it too hard and scratch it. Rust appeared on a small spot of the corner of the car's roof when I said this.

The dream is affecting my interactions with people today. I have noticeably less patience. I'm not saying it's justified, I'm just saying that it'll be something I have to maintain awareness of for the rest of the day.

Last night I dreamt that I somehow found myself at a house party hosted by a guy I used to know  on the internet (he runs a forum I used to frequent). By the time I got there, the party was dying down, and people were leaving. I stuck around because why not. At one point I found myself staring at a wall and seeing flashes of names of people I knew on the internet, except slightly wrong. Like instead of "Zeusthecat", I would've seen "Catthezeus". I don't actually remember any of the names except one (and it wasn't Zeus SRY ZEUS). I remember thinking, "Wow, my daydreams are getting pretty vivid." It was weird.

I walked upstairs and there was a cute girl there alone and I said, "are these drinks free for everyone" pointing at a pile of alcohol, and she said, "well, you were supposed to bring a bottle" and I said "oh" and grabbed a bottle of spiced rum to drink from. Then she fell asleep on the couch and

Some kind of time skip and

It ended with me, the girl, and a couple other people including the host strolling down some street, and the host complaining very loudly like "NOOO THE ALCOHOL" every time we'd take a swig from our respective bottles.

All in all a boring dream, but I'm excited because I actually remembered it!

Last night I dreamt that I was explaining to someone how excited I was about using the Korean word "esaram" because it is a genderless, single person pronoun with which I can replace "they". The person I was explaining this to didn't think that that was special and asked me to give a use-case scenario. So, in my dream mind you, I said to them, "Why did the chicken cross the road?" and they said "I don't know why?" and I was like "It's irrelevant, do you know if it was a single chicken or a bunch of chickens?" and they said "no" and I said "Well if I had said 'Why did esaram cross the road?', you would know that it is a single chicken." 
Blows my mind that I was able to come up with an actual example in my dream. The mind is a wonderous thing. "Sheep" would have been a better example though. Also of note, it was a pinball dream where I played a machine with a carpeted playfield, and I also played one that was actually two tables attached to each other on the side so that when you nudged, you nudged esaram's table next to you.
Oh and I was at a multi-story house full of used books, nothing but used books and shelves, the name I saw of one of the authors was Lilith . . . .Lilith. . .SHIT! I can't remember the last name. It was so classy. It was such a cool name. Plus I wanted to look it up because every possible English name combination has a book on Amazon, I was going to see what her's was.

Ugh. I've officially joined the ranks of the Idle Thumbs Dreamers.

In the dream I guess I was listening to the podcast while playing Doom 2. Doom 2 filled my whole vision. Someone representing some other podcast challenged the Idle Thumbs crew to some kind of musical music-off. Remo seemed disgusted by the idea but before he knew it he was doing it anyway. They called it a duet but everyone was singing. When I woke up I remembered the song, but I don't anymore. It was actually really good.

I recalled a sliver of a dream that I had recently.

I was in a restaurant eating food and I asked for a side of ranch dressing (which is strange because I'm vegan). The waitress responded that it was going to cost $4.50 for a side of ranch to which I replied "That is ridiculous! I want to speak with your manager!". So the manager came over to the table, I explained the situation, and he replied "I'm so sorry, she's new and mistakenly told you the wrong amount. A side of ranch is only $3.50."

Yeah, I get the running and punching thing. Someone told me once that it's because our actual body is asleep and we can't move it, so that translates into our dream.

If I go to sleep with my head resting on my hand, I always have a really weird dream involving me being stuck, often in bed, with something strange happening like someone coming into my room or me getting pulled into a cavern in my bed or one of my cats being alive again and on my bed. Then I wake up and am slightly annoyed.

Other than that, I really enjoy when I have hilariously mundane-but-specific dreams, like the dream I had at university that I had to borrow some socks from one of my friends, but I couldn't tell anyone because they were special police socks and he wasn't supposed to lend them out. And the socks were actual real socks, except in reality they were mine. And that friend was planning on joining the police, which he has since done.

I'm kind of delighted at how boring my subconscious thoughts are.