Thompson

Dreams!

Not only about video games, just weird or hilarious dreams.

Last night I had this dream:

I was at my local Coles supermarket and we were walking back to the car with the shopping and I noticed a trailer like you'd see on a movie set sitting in the car park. Then I noticed Jake walking around saying that it was a baseball trading card store but saying that they were out of baseball trading cards, somehow I knew that this was actually an Idle Thumbs live show tour and I knew what I had to say to get in.

It was "The Wizard".

So he came over to us as we put the shopping in the car and asked if we wanted baseball cards (I guess he was trying to push this fake product in case the person was an Idle Thumbs listener), we talked for a little bit but I was too awkward to say "The Wizard" because of how weird I would look in front of my family. Eventually my Mum said "The Wizard" in conversation and Jake's face lit up, I seized the opportunity and said "Yes! The Wizard!", he gave me a huge thumbs up and he asked if we wanted to see the live show and I frantically agreed.

We walked to the trailer and walked up the stairs, when we got inside it was TARDIS like in that it turned out to be a huge theater, although in my dream this wasn't weird at all, and we walked to the back. Jake said that in fact this was a competition, a panel of something like 8 people who all had a certain amount of time to be the funniest and get the most votes from the crowd to be on an actual Idle Thumbs show. He took us to the back of the theater and then we walked through a door and were suddenly in a second theater where we watched a competition in which there were 2 industry notables (Who were arguing whether calculus or algebra were better and whom I didn't know) and other people, one of whom pretended to be Katamari and rolled up things on the stage. (That was probably inspired by this)

Anyway, it was our turn to do a show and we were suddenly on the roof of a house for no reason, we crawled around to the front of the house and gave an address on why the iPhone is shit accompanied by a guitarist. (I don't believe that the iPhone is shit, we just listed a few things I don't like about it) We crawled back around to the back of the house, this time Chris was next to me and three nails fell down and nearly killed him, he said "OH SHIT" and I laughed.

We were about to be told who won and then I woke up.

I'm clearly insane.

I had a dream recently in which it began as my parents talking to some sort of collegiate acceptance board and I was 18 again or what have you. I was accepted (this was a while back so I don't remember huge specifics) and was suddenly in a helicopter on the way to a giant skyscraper that I'm pretty sure isn't actually in El Paso. Upon entry to the building, my parents left me to the care of the headmaster, who took me down into the bowels of the place in which there were subway tunnels.

These subways tunnels led to a large underground school, in which I was suddenly informed I was (Harry Potter) a warlock, and shown how to do magic. Inexplicably, magic was a force of will, emulated by making a fist and only extending the middle knuckle of your middle finger. Years passed very quickly at this point, and I hit a few major points in my years at wherever the fuck this was.

Two events that stood out:

Set in some kind of concave auditorium, magical battles were waged between students. If you've read R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden stuff, during his earlier years there was a giant maze in the underdark where warrior students fought in mock combat every year, leaving a single victor. This was basically that. The end result of some very hectic nonsense was the victor(s), a pair of white-haired female twins asking me out. What? Again, it was a while ago, so my memories are vague, but I'm fairly certain I was rather shy and quiet about the whole ordeal.

I apparently had some sort of creepy uncle, who was trying to turn me to "the dark side of magic" which, I mean really, fuck you subconscious, could you be more cliche? The end result of which was him cornering me after a proving bout and giving me a ring which allowed me to. . .wake up when the phone went off.

I really wanted to continue that damn dream. Weird shit.

I tend to have idiotic dreams all involving normal situations with everything in different configurations for the past few years now. Before that I used to have much more fantastical dreams I try to remember the atmosphere of for inspiration. Then there are some nightmares that usually end up needlessly nasty for many reasons and it's not really worth talking about since I have no idea why my mind sometimes needs to think of such horrible situations.

Besides that though, almost every time I go to sleep after playing a video game and remember my dream, it'll involve situations from normal life with like a maze dropped in or retrying tasks over and over to get a better rank or score.

A couple of months ago my girlfriend woke me up and I started complaining to her about not being able to save my game until I visited all five nacho stands. This one came from Costume Quest and I was in that mall with some kids, even though I believe the nacho stands were actually popcorn stands in the game and there were no save restrictions to speak of.

anyone else here have prophetic dreams?

Being a skeptic, I used to think my dreams were closely resembling real events, or maybe my mind was bridging the gap between what i dreamt and what occurred - sort of like assumptive memory (psychology accepts this function of memory).

but then I started writing details down and they would actually occur.

Now, I've just accepted prophetic dreams, that I sometimes have 'em, and because I dream a lot and dream very vividly I've just accepted that dreams can either be the mind re-playing images or re-playing images that will occur (i still believe it's a "re-play" because of some personal convictions about time and the 3rd and 4th dimensions).

just wondering if anyone else here has had or thinks they've had prophetic dreams (ie - thing happens in your dream then exact same thing happens in life)?

;(

I get incredibly strong de ja vu from dreams sometimes. It's probably just after-the-fact interpretation, but. . .who knows?

About a month ago I had a dream that you would create this thread.

Eventually this thread got out of hand and some people were abducted by the secret service.

So consider yourself warned.

Actually despite being what you might call a "skeptic" myself, I've had a couple of dreams before now that have come up with details of real life that I would only learn later. I don't know how or why that's happened, and that doesn't particularly bother me. There's so much stuff we don't understand about the brain yet that I'm not going to worry over this rare and minor unexplainable phenomenon.

About a month ago I had a dream that you would create this thread.

Eventually this thread got out of hand and some people were abducted by the secret service.

So consider yourself warned.

gmant.jpg

I am an internet forum poster. Technology enables me to keep in touch with friends. Where do you live, friend?

anyone else here have prophetic dreams?

I don't think I've ever had one besides wishing a really good dream would come true. I would also entertain the notion even if I really don't believe in that sort of stuff.

I don't know if this is equal to deja vu, but I haven't encountered that feeling in at least a decade or more. Did I break it?

- M. L. King

Rev. Dr. M. L. King, Jr. You communist.

I seem to dream on a somewhat regular basis, but almost never remember more than a few snippets or basic themes. I do, however, have the occasional vivid and hard-to-forget dream, and I took to writing them down a little while ago. Here's one that I think is video-game-related, because it happened shortly after Pokemon SoulSilver came out, and I think the game might have been mutated into this weirdness by my sleeping brain:

I'm standing outside on a small grass lawn surrounded by red brick apartment buildings or townhouses. The space is possibly a backyard or small courtyard. I am also aware of the fact that I'm somewhere in Great Britain. I'm with a woman who I recognize as a friend, but cannot specifically identify.

An older man stands next to a low pile of dirt, motioning to it and telling us to look at what's there. We move closer and look, seeing some sort of large green snake burrowing and writhing around amidst the dirt and grass. The man speaks some sort of warning and I back away to avoid being attacked.

The animal leaves its burrow, transforming into a brown, ferret-like creature. It has wide eyes and its lips are pulled back to reveal long, needle-like teeth. The man shouts and gestures at the animal, attempting to scare it away. His hand gets too close, the animal lunges forward, and it bites the man. The man screams, holding his wrist, and the creature limps off to the other side of the yard.

After a few seconds, a black sludge starts to ooze out of the man's eyes, nose, and mouth. I'm dumbstruck, and I'm not sure how to get help because I'm in England and 911 won't work. I turn to express this to my friend, who is on a cell phone, assuring me that emergency services have been alerted.

The man slumps to the ground, the black ooze still issuing from his face, completely obscuring his features. As the emergency medics arrive with a stretcher, I move aside. I come upon the animal, which is now dead, lying stiffly on the grass. The medics put the man on their stretcher and carry him off.

I turn to my friend and make the observation that at first the animal appeared to be a snake, but then transformed into the ferret-creature, which shouldn't happen in real life. As I realize this, the entire scene drops from underneath me, stretching and blurring into darkness below, and I wake up.

Twice in recent months I've had a dream in which I remember the dream immediately prior as a dream and recount it to real-life people. In the first instance I was telling my dad about a dream when I realized it was actually quite embarrassing, so I had to dodge around the specifics and leave it as a thoroughly unsatisfying and pointless anecdote; in the second I was telling my friends about a dream in which I accidentally made my boss cry a little bit, and my flatmate (one of the audience) laughed the exact same laugh he laughed when I told the real-life him about the dream and meta-dream. Because that's his laugh, I suppose. It's all rather entertainingly post-modern. I wonder whether it's anything to do with my finally nearing the end of Gödel, Escher, Bach.

I also had a dream containing original music (at least, it seemed original to me). It even had words, but they didn't really make any sense. I don't really remember much of how it went, but it seemed pretty good. It was probably actually garbage, though.

I was telling my dad about a dream when I realized it was actually quite embarrassing, so I had to dodge around the specifics and leave it as a thoroughly unsatisfying and pointless anecdote

Oh, hilarious. I can see myself doing that.

On the subject of prophetic dreams, there's one nightmare that sticks in my mind as a particularly weird example:

This is from years ago, I would have been pretty young (I don't really have a good grasp on time in my past years) and it was terrifying at the time.

In the dream i'm sitting on my dad's lap in the dining room, he's eating breakfast and talking to my mum who is also eating breakfast. They talk about business and such and at some point I become aware that from behind a curtain that divides two sections of our house a skeleton is slowly approaching me.

I proceed to completely lose my shit. I yell at my parents in that kind of 'I'm so scared I can't actually talk' voice and they laugh at me because they can't see this goddamn skeleton. I can't get out of my dad's lap and i'm just trapped as this thing slowly shambles toward me.

I wake up. I get up and walk into the dining room, my parents are eating breakfast, talking about the same things as they were in my dream and my dad reached out to pick me up, I vividly remember freaking the fuck out and running back to my room.

I didn't look at those curtains the same way for a while after that.

All my dream posts from the ZC forums:

I dreamt I was at a party full of young people and I pulled a beautiful blonde girl. I realised it was a dream at some point, and was quite relieved because it meant I was allowed to cheat on my girlfriend with her.

I'm still having mostly Lost dreams. Last night, it mostly concentrated on my long hair and lost weight. If at the end of season 6 it all turns out to be a dream of mine, that would be the best ending ever.

I actually dreamt last night that I met lots of forum members! I think most of them were fictional, but Lemmy and Binky and [female forum member] Mash were there. I gave Mash a biiiiig hug! Except - and Mash may not want to read this bit - I had an erection from previously hugging another female forum member, so I had to limit the hug to upper body only. Sorry! But at least my subconscious intentions towards Mash were pure!

So, I had a dream last night where someone asked me to provide an answer to the joke "Why is Back To The Future 2 a jewish film?" After running through a few options, I came up with the answer "Because everyone rides around on hava-boards!" It's a dire joke, obv, but I love the fact that I managed to come up with an answer that made sense, in such a normal methodical fashion, and then remembered it after waking up. Perhaps my unconscious mind already knew the answer when it asked the question, but I'd like to think it didn't (the question was asked of me by some actor, I think, prompted by a still of Little Fockers where a few actors were playing many different family members each).

My girlfriend dreamt last night that Dan sent us naked photos of himself from the back, and his arse was covered in a huge dragon tattoo. Then later on we met up with him and he dropped his trousers IN PUBLIC so we could see it again. FAO Dan, I have been informed that you should never get a gigantic dragon arse-tattoo, it looks bad.

So, I had a dream last night where someone asked me to provide an answer to the joke "Why is Back To The Future 2 a jewish film?" After running through a few options, I came up with the answer "Because everyone rides around on hava-boards!" It's a dire joke, obv, but I love the fact that I managed to come up with an answer that made sense, in such a normal methodical fashion, and then remembered it after waking up. Perhaps my unconscious mind already knew the answer when it asked the question, but I'd like to think it didn't (the question was asked of me by some actor, I think, prompted by a still of Little Fockers where a few actors were playing many different family members each).

Huh?! :eek:

I dreamt that I went back in time, to when I was only a few years old, and spied on me and my parents, and how my city used to be. I didn't have to be that sneaky, because they obviously didn't know how I was gonna look.

If you want to be all Freudian about it, I guess I'm escaping into my past? (My parents are divorced now, my sister struggling, and I moved away from the city.)

I dreamt last night that I had completed three games during the weekend and was really proud of myself.

Then I woke up and was confused and was trying to remember did I really achieve three completions in one weekend.

In the end I got disappointed when I remembered it was just Mafia II.

I dreamt that I went back in time, to when I was only a few years old, and spied on me

If you want to be all Freudian about it, I guess I'm escaping into my past?

Or you're a paedo.

. . .I really don't know what to say to that. Maybe. . .

You're welcome for being informed on the matter of time-traveling jewish warlocks who are also wizards.

What.

I often go to sleep with a podcast playing and wake up like 4 podcasts later with it still playing, last night I was listening to a Giant Bombcast.

Today I woke up and all I heard was Ryan Davis whispering "and this podcast was just a dream..." at the very end of the Portal 2 Spoiler Cast. :tup: