toblix

toblix Complains About the "Recently completed video games" Thread

Here's a suggestion: Instead of discussing lots of different and unrelated games in a single thread, if you have something to say about a game, dig up the old thread for the game, or, if one doesn't exist, be the one that creates it. Then just post in that thread. The discussion is put in a relevant context instead of being grouped by the most useless property that someone just finished it.

:getmecoat

I dunno, as long as the discussions are kept succinct, I don't have a problem with it. I think people are playing too many different games to have threads for them all.

Also, completing a game which has been out for a while might not be worthy of resurrecting the old thread. Unless it was a really massive popular game that merits a big post/discussion.

I prefer to leave it up to people's discretion. Always good to remind people of their options though. Good 'Blix :tup:

I agree with both points.

I think what people should do is:

1) Search and see if a thread was created for the game, then either

a) Update the thread if it was recent

B) Update the thread if it was popular but old

c) Make a new thread if it a new game that hasn't got one

d) Update the thread if it is related to Earth defence Force-related

e) Update the 'recently completed' if it doesn't fit into one of those categories

Works for me as I have stopped checking the recently completed thread as frequently as I once did adn also put my comments abotu Bulletstorm in the Bulletstorm thread instead.

And what if it's a game nobody knows or cares about? They won't mind you saying you beat it, but why open a thread about an obscure old game if nobody is going to comment?

I guess it depends on what you're going to say? If you're just to say you beat it, use the completed thread, if you're going to comment about it, make a thread or find the old one if it exists?:erm:

I like to hear people tell what games they completed and what they thought of it. So the RCVG thread is important. It shouldn't get swamped with discussions though.

So how about posting your RCVG in the RCVG thread and link to a followup thread?

I'm not going to read threads about games I might not be interested it. But reading the RCVG thread might get me interested.

I always thought the Recently Completed was more for an abstract of what you thought of a game. Give the main points, but leave the major discussion in the relevant game's thread.

Eh. I think the thread has worth, obviously it's preferable if people post in the game-specific thread (especially if it's active), but if people just wanna give their two cents about some old game they just finished recently I'm not sure most of them would bother creating a separate thread (I know I probably wouldn't). I guess if a post creates alot of discussion it could just be moved to its own thread or something, you know?

I do agree that if you are going to discuss a game in length, you should do that in the respective threads. Especially if there are spoiler thoughts.

When I finish games like Red Dead Redemption or Enslaved I usually track down the threads to see what people said about them, but no way I'm digging through the thread for whenever people posted about them.

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment Toblix, but I'm guilty myself I think. I prefer in any case for the long posts to make it on the threads for the games that already exist, just because I read forum posts for games I finally get around to playing and it's nice if it's all centered in one thread.

So I typed way too much crap about Brutal Legend but reserved it for the Brutal Legend thread while mentioning it within the Recently Played thread.

On the other hand I just wrote a ton of text recently about Metal Gear Solid 2 in the Recently Played thread, hoping it wouldn't be too annoying but feeling I had to get all my thoughts out somewhere. I did look before hand but there are only threads for Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4 which venture largely into general territory. I shied away from starting a new thread because I figured I didn't have much worth replying to. My fault.

But I think I'll just start a new thread from now on anyway if there's too much text, since I did create one last year yelling about Wave Race for game boy which I didn't expect anyone to have played.

I do agree that if you are going to discuss a game in length, you should do that in the respective threads.

Yes, I think the problem is that by resurrecting old threads, you're less likely to open a discussion. But I do agree that if something is going to go on for some time, that it makes more sense to do it in the original topic.

Toblix makes a reasonable point though. Hmm.

Yes, I think the problem is that by resurrecting old threads, you're less likely to open a discussion. But I do agree that if something is going to go on for some time, that it makes more sense to do it in the original topic.

Toblix makes a reasonable point though. Hmm.

I don't agree at all. When I see an old thread resurrected about a game that I loved "way back when", I'm far more likely to jump in and see what's going on. RCVG is slightly more daunting as far as I'm concerned, as a game that I'm not interested in at all could inspired conversation for many posts and ultimately cause me not to dig in to what I consider "the good stuff".

I don't agree at all. When I see an old thread resurrected about a game that I loved "way back when", I'm far more likely to jump in and see what's going on. RCVG is slightly more daunting as far as I'm concerned, as a game that I'm not interested in at all could inspired conversation for many posts and ultimately cause me not to dig in to what I consider "the good stuff".

The difference is that those who don't own/haven't played the game are more likely to get involved in the RCVG thread, at least that's what I imagine. The RCVG thread is also a stream of mini-reviews, much like the TV/Movie thread.

That's my 2c on the matter, at least.