Kolzig

Maximum disappointment confirmed - Prey gets a sequel

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/14/surprise-prey-2-confirmed/

Human Head Studios is again the main developer and Nick's Bethesda/Zenimax is the producer and publisher. Engine is rumoured to be very likely id tech 5 and when it's done date is said to be sometime in 2012.

From the looks of the Game Reactor cover image, they changed the main character into an angry looking Sam Fisher space marine!:fart:

Well, the original character had clichéd name (Domasi Tawodi aka Tommy Hawk), but at least he was slightly different from all the space marines and also the game had a lot different feel with the native American setting and the spirits to guide the main protagonist.

I liked the first game, the opening sequence was one of the best so far in fps games.

I'm not disappointed that Prey gets a sequel, but I am disappointed that Human Head seems to be going the way of every fps out there when I look at that cover image. No originality in sight or anything that would make me interested in the game.

This reminds me that I'm sad because I wasn't fast enough to get the five euro sales of Prey in Steam some years ago and it's no longer available anywhere as far as I know as there was a limited number of "cd keys" or something like that.

EDIT: Ok so it doesn't have id tech 5 apparently.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/15/prey-2-id-tech-5/

Wow, someone wrote this in RPS comments:

It is on Steam. Er, was on Steam. Or, it’s not sold on the Steam store anymore because Valve ran out of keys during the holiday sale, and (somehow) haven’t received more from the publisher yet. You can still buy a copy dirt cheap elsewhere and register the CD key through the Steam client, though.

Where can this be still bought? Holy crap, I think saw a disc based version at a local supermarket for pennies. Woot!

Edited by Kolzig
Want to change the title

Where can this be still bought? Holy crap, I think saw a disc based version at a local supermarket for pennies. Woot!

I'm tempted to say Direct2Drive has it?

As for a sequel: Woo!

As for generalization of the concept: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Just checked D2D webpages and it says Prey is locked for purchase only in US, UK and Canada? So I can't buy it.

Well I ordered the disc based version it for few euros from a netshop so that should work in Steam.

space marine?

It's a shame they feel the need to generic up the protagonist, but to be honest there was plenty else that the original did that made it slightly different from all the other shooters out there.

As long as it keeps up with some of that weirdness I'll be looking forward to it.

As long as it starts in a bar with a mirror in the bathroom and a jukebox I'll be looking forward to it.

Is it sad that I saw the magazine cover earlier and thought nothing of it until you pointed out that he used to be an awesome - if somewhat hilariously racist - character?

Goddamnit. I liked Prey. Gameplay better make up for it. J:

Live action teaser is a surprising decision.

BVCfo6CLkb0

[Trailer]

:tdown::tdown::tdown: (Apart from the very ending.)

Charlie is an asshole, (and that's the quietest plane I've ever heard, lol).

He does lose his torso in the trailer, tho!

:tup::tup::tup:

This seems like the weirdest thing ever.

Hey, guys! Remember that mediocre shooter we did awhile ago... you know the one that took like 10 years too long to come out? Surprise! We are making a sequel for some reason? I mean, there's so much story to build off of from the first game. Native Americans in space! Ya, but how are we going to market it? Live action handy-cam footage!

WHAT!

He does lose his torso in the trailer, tho!

No he doesn't.

I really liked Prey. It was better than most "mediocre" shooters by a large margin.

Also, it's been so long that I don't remember exactly what, but at the end of Prey 1, I was left thinking, "cool, there's a Prey 2 coming". Was it a cliffhanger? I mean, could be. I don't know. But then it never did come out.

Until now!

(Trailer is definitely weird, though. What.)

I'm looking at his butt. Looks to me like he's lying on his side, butt towards the camera, butt who knows, maybe he's lying with his butt towards the camera while his missing torso is pointing away from camera. Butt.

I'm looking at his butt. Looks to me like he's lying on his side, butt towards the camera, butt who knows, maybe he's lying with his butt towards the camera while his missing torso is pointing away from camera. Butt.

I enhanced the image. Here are the results...

post-94-13375603341016_thumb.jpg

Charlie is an asshole

Thanks to his dumb antics, I was rooting for the aliens. Fuck you, plane full of people!

This does seem like a weird sequel to make. I liked the screwy gameplay stuff in the first one, but I don't think it kept me interested enough to play through the whole thing.

That's not really much of a strike against it, since I almost never finish games anyway.

Could Tommy be Captain Generic in the armour? Some sort of prolonged resistance thing?

Never finished the first game, but did like the concept, and the gunplay was satisfying enough. So if Tommy got deaded in the finale, you can ignore the above. :getmecoat

I didn't know that Game Reactor is a free publication. At least the Finnish version of it is. I found it from a local shop while searching for 3DS demonstrations.

There was a big story about Prey 2 and Rage inside the magazine. Looks like my fears are confirmed and this game is really nothing about Prey and they are just using the name get more people interested as the original did create a slight buzz five years ago and many people know the history of Prey that used to be vaporware.

They said all kinds of interesting things in the article. I'll put some of the stuff here later. Chris Rhinehart, the project lead basically said something in the lines of that this will be nothing like the original, only the beginning references the original game.

So why even use the same name then? Why use a space marine US marshall type generic fps character instead of creating something more unique or keeping Tommy there.

This is just like Irrational using Bioshock in my opinion. I still wish Bioshock Infinite would be called something else.

I can propably put the scans here later, as it's a free magazine so I shouldn't be breaking any laws.

This is just like Irrational using Bioshock in my opinion. I still wish Bioshock Infinite would be called something else.

Infinite is still extremely similar in style, setup, etc. It's like Final Fantasy, but even less offensive because Infinite isn't Bioshock 3. Bioshock as a theme, rather than a setting. There may very well be a Bioshock Infinite 2 (for better or worse), but Infinite by itself is completely inoffensive.

Prey, if what you say that article says is true, isn't really a theme. It's purely a marketing strategy. Which is pretty shameful, I agree. Stupid developers. )':

Well that is the same thing of course.

Oldest trick in the book for marketing to use an established name to sell more.

I really liked the first game, but when i started reading quotes from the developer talking about how the sequel won't have any of the gravity-bending portal-madness, it kind of tanked any interest i had in the sequel.

Like, hey, those were the two most interesting things about that game.