Squid Division

Thumb War: Shogun 2

Shogun 2 will have a persistent multiplayer map for clan battles. I've seen a few people bought this on steam and was wondering if anyone was interested in a thumbs clan. I know The Killstar and I will be starting one, so it's an open invitation.

The persistent map system is explained more in depth here, and a video:

25W8CvphGxs

I'm in! I need a co-op partner at some point too.

Please tell me we're going Uesugi. :shifty:

I'm down, loved Shogun 1, can't wait for 2! Though I've always stuck with Mori.

Man, I'd love to be involved in this, but the game runs so badly on my computer it's probably just not worth doing. ;(

Damn you PC gaming!

Shogun 1 is actually the only Total War game I've never played, so I'm a bit behind in knowing the unit nuances. The principles are all the same though.

I'm not sure how you pick a faction. It seems you pick a geographic region for clan battles, but your faction may get picked when you start your general's avatar.

Not sure I have the wad of cash for Shogun 2, but I've taken advantage of the Steam sale to catch up. Medieval 2: Total War for £2.50!

Nevsky, be sure to grab the Lands to Conquer mod for it - fixes a lot of the AI problems. Actually the guy who did it got hired on and does unit design work for Creative Assembly now.

Nyah!

Shogun 2 and Homefront release 'today'/tomorrow. League of Legends releases a new hero. And to top it off, I have a doctors appointment. I fear I may lack sleep in the coming days.

Man I'm so pumped for this game!! Unfortunately on account of school and work I can't spend any time on gaming. I'm gona have to wait until about the middle of april to get into it

Need to decide a specialty for our clan; cavalry, archery, swords, or spears.

Made a steam group (since you have to) called Thumbhammers (Killstar's and my old Chomehounds clan was the Turdhammers). It's public but I can send an invite if you want, even to those who don't yet have the game.

Gwardinen: the game actually runs better than Napoleon does for me, and at higher settings even.

Edited by Squid Division

Archery! If any of you object, I'll stick a shaft in y-. . .nevermind, threat rescinded.

My vote is Archery.

Edit: Thoroughly kicked in the face during my first battle. As I've never done any TW MP (competitive or otherwise) I played like I was against Rome Hard AI. I was demolished for a foolish decision during my second sortie against his calvary.

C'est la vie! I can see this sucking up a lot of my time.

Edited by Orvidos

I probably won't be getting Shogun 2 any time soon but I wanted to register my interest! I'll join the Thumbhammers group.

Also, I have all the others since Rome (bar some expansions) if anyone wants a match in another era. TW games are a staple part of my gaming diet, I always end up going back to them over and over but I've never managed an online game in all these years. The few times I've summoned the courage I've been thwarted by my internet connection. :(

Although the game is not up my particular alley, I just felt I had to say how good it makes me feel to look at a good, crisp, PC interface where the text is small, things need to be clicked with a mouse, and everything is sharp and nice and not upscaled from 720p.

Definitely. I think I might do a short campaign and write it up for the Gaming section of the forum. It seems like these games are a bit like EVE online, where people might not want to play them, but they always like hearing about them.

Fall of the Samurai recently came out, and along with it a Steam sale hit for Shogun 2. I picked it up and have been romping through multi-player, the avatar conquest is pretty neat and addicting. Are any Thumbs playing it? It sounded like Squid had a clan going but I have no idea how to find that so I just joined a general Idle Thumbs Clan (It is currently me and one other dude who doesn't play, I think).

If anyone wanted to play some 2v2 I am fairly certain I could hold my own (although I only ever play on small funds).

The 'official' one is here.

We've done a few multiplayer games with Fall of the Samurai - most notably one where I won a naval battle by ramming about 4 enemy ships with my ironclad when it was our only ship left.

I shall stand to protect the Clan with honor!

I actually think the clan competition is a really cool mode in how it breaks up Japan into territories that a clan controls. Hopefully I won't be complete shit, even through FotS armies are a tough nut to crack with just a regular Shogun 2 army. A whole lot of Yari Ashigaru die in order to protect my Katana Samurai charging into enemy rifle fire.

I've spent a lot of time with the game at this point in singleplayer, but I'm still not very comfortable with the army make-ups. The weird combination of guns and melee seems to lead to extra weak units of both at highly inflated prices.

Played a few 1v1 matches tonight as I'm much better at them than 2v2. Despite not being attuned to the Fall of the Samurai armies, I'm apparently better than most people. Multiplayer matches are incredibly stressful though and I can only manage a few at a time. Still, I think we're in first in our bracket for now.

It seems like the general strategy online from FotS armies is to get rifles and a bunch of cheap Yari Ashigaru lined up with rifles out front spears behind. If your opponent tries to charge you (your opponent being a vanilla Shogun army) then you block their charge with the Yari and let your rifles tear up everything in their way. In my mind the only way to stop this would be to charge cavalry into the rifles from the sides/rear after the Yari stop your infantry charge, but I seem to be unsuccessful with this so far in multiplayer.

I did have one brilliant moment when faced against an all rifle army. I was camped in a forest with some bow units peppering his troops, my opponent knew all my men were in this tiny forest, and that I was moving in and out of my flanks. He decided to surround me, in doing this he split up his army into two separate groups to hit both my flanks. He left nothing in his middle, where his entire army had been, this was perfect for some cavalry to charge up through and hit the back of one half of his rifle army. Then I simply charged with my men and left him to decide whether to shoot at angry men with swords or fast moving cavalry with spears. Either way assured me a victory and somewhere Sun Tzu smiled to himself.

Yeah that's basically what I've been doing. The Red Bear infantry, while dramatically more expensive than the other kind (White something) are that much better. In a play test, they were about as good as three of the other kind of line infantry. From What I can remember I've been using 3 Red Bear and 3 Spear Levy to support them, and a cavalry squadron.

I still don't like how this game makes your general start costing more and basically forcing you out of the small funds matches - which I think are more fun.

I just started to notice that my general is costing more which would explain why I have mostly medium fund matches now, yeah that is kinda lame. But it makes sense with the avatar progression system, if the price didn't go up playing more would mean you have a straight upgraded general (which it already kinda does).

And holy crap did I just have a bad night of battles, I really have found no way to break a FotS rifle + fodder army. I had 3 horse archers and 3 Yari Cav and was harassing my opponent with them the entire opening only to be shot down as my main forced charged. I feel the only way to win is either out range and kite or hid units and spring a trap on a gullible general. That or on certain maps with special terrain features such as hills or houses that bows can shoot over but guns can't shoot through.

I picked this up this month and have been waiting for it to finish downloading off Steam ever since. A 25Gig file with 20-100kbs D/L speed do not work well together. Better yet, since I have an extremely restricted bandwidth cap of 1 gig an hour for two consecutive hours, I'm too nervous to let it run over night for fear of a sudden 1.5MB/s burst that kicks me off the network (Again).

Never played a Total War game, but I'd love to play some Online or CO-OP when I finally, one day, get the game downloaded.