Jake

GDC 2011: The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade: Games Kasavin

Now with more weird clunking sounds and stuff.

The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade 2011: Games Kasavin

Another GDC come and gone, another Conf Grenade rolls down a hill. We're joined by bonus guest, Media Molecule's James Spafford. In the tradition of GDC episodes, this one has some slight audio wonkiness in places, so get ready for that.

Things Discussed: Maquette, Inside a Star-Filled Sky, Mantra, Failure, Will Wright, Raid on Bungeling Bay, Peter Molyneux, Peter Molyneux 2, Populous, Bastion, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Monaco, Brian Moriarty, Loom, The Jonas Brothers, Epic Mickey, PAX East

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Man, staying up late is going to kill me, but it seems to be paying off until then. Podcast, hoooooooooooooooo!

You guys are spoiling us!

But I'm not complaining at all, no sir! Keep 'em coming, it's a delight to listen to the Idle Thumbs Conf Grenades.

Oh man best news. Now we need a couple special expansion PAX and I'll be a happy camper.

The part about having to sit in a corner looking at the wall was fuck

Man, one conf grenade was deadly enough, but there's no way that pack of enemies will be able to survive a SECOND conf grenade! Especially when it rolls down the hill into them!

Much respect for Sean. Disney was out of their minds to pass on such an incredible talent and his flash of inspiration. I'll always remember the story of the game that never was... Epic Jonas.

Epic Vanaman

I didn't catch what exactly happened to the Jonas brothers game... It sounded interesting but then in avoiding talking about Epic Mickey, I felt that the Jonas Loom was never quite wrapped up.

I didn't catch what exactly happened to the Jonas brothers game... It sounded interesting but then in avoiding talking about Epic Mickey, I felt that the Jonas Loom was never quite wrapped up.

I think he just pitched it but it never got greenlit for production.

The Epic Mickey origin story was completely surreal.

Discovering the news about Oswald's right being bought back must have felt something like this

"You got Oswald back?""Behold the power of Disney Entertainment".

Also, it's awesome to see you all acknowledge that being indie is hard: I was amazed by the amount of people in studios backed up by big publishers saying "If everything else fails, I can still go indie.", making it sounds like it's a ride in the park when I imagine that, for 80% of the indie dev, it's really putting your balls on the chopping block.

Let's talk about all the tall people in the games industry for awhile

Cool Convo Bros

:grin:

I was also cracking up at the will wright discussion. It's hilarious that one of his old panels was called, "The future of content" That's so typical Will Wright, such a broad and indefinable topic really, it would be like a scientist hosting a talk, "Applications of Carbon"

I remember seeing an early build of epic mickey and who knew all this time it was all because of Vanaman... so neat.

I can only hope in 5 years i see the project I was working on that was shelved make its way into a weird existence, hehehehe.

When Marek BM Bronstring was namedropped, I half-expected him to make an appearance :(

Otherwise, neat second part to the original 'nade :tup: Famous designed the Epic Mickey logo, how utterly insane!

Thank you very much for these Grenades, they made me very happy during a tough week. It shocks me how much editing Chris is willing to do compared to other people who get paid to make podcasts. I love you guys!

Thank you very much for these Grenades, they made me very happy during a tough week. It shocks me how much editing Chris is willing to do compared to other people who get paid to make podcasts. I love you guys!

Thanks! Although while I handled Hold On To Your B.U.T.T.O.N., Jake actually took over editing duties for Games Kasavin, because I was flying back to Boston at the time.