Squid Division

Dino D-Day

This game looks dumbfounding: Dino D-Day

The year is 1942. Adolf Hitler has succeeded in resurrecting dinosaurs. The reptilian horde has trampled Europe and the Mediterranean. Can nothing stop the Nazi’s dinosaur army?

Dino D-Day is a frantic, action-packed multiplayer game that transports you to a World War II that should have been. You and your friends can battle online choosing to serve the cause of the Allied nations or the Nazis. The Allied side includes six playable characters each with unique weapons and abilities to use in combat. Gun down a Dilophosaur with your trusty M1 Garand, blast a kamikaze pterosaur out of the sky with your Thompson sub-machine gun, or toss out a dead jackrabbit to lure a raptor into a trap.

As an Axis player you will have your choice of three human classes and three dinosaur classes. Ambush your enemy with speed and stealth as the Raptor, mercilessly pound the enemy with a heavy 20mm gun as the Desmatosuchus, rampage through enemy groups as the Dilophosaur or pick up a body and throw it at an enemy for a double kill! Or if you prefer a rifle in your hand, the German soldier classes are the perfect complement to their dinosaur comrades.

You’ve played World War II games before…but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?

So we're going to have to get some thumbs action in on this right?

You’ve played World War II games before…but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?

I played Time Gentlemen, Please. Does that count?

...a World War II that should have been.

Sounds awesome, but that line sort of weirds me out.

Sounds awesome, but that line sort of weirds me out.

"You know what would be awesome? If Hitler had dinosaurs."

That is mildly concerning, yes.

Shows up at 20 USD, 18 for a pre-order. Anyone still in for this, or shall I spend loot elsewhere?

Just something to think about: The raptor classes grenade? Goats.

Then again, maybe not. . .

_0MMFW56c4k

Edited by Orvidos

This game looks dumbfounding

Reminds me of Strike Witches (An anime/manga), the description of which is absolutely astounding:

The story revolves around teenage girls who are essentially moe anthropomorphizations of military airplanes.

The titular Strike Witches are young women with high magical potential who are recruited into military organizations around the world to fight against the enigmatic Neuroi, which began an invasion of unprecedented scale on human territory in the year 1939.

In order to bring out their potential for use in battle, each Witch equips a unique machine onto their legs: the Striker Unit. With the Striker Unit equipped, they gain the ability to fly and their tapped magical potential provides the strength to utilize weapons far too heavy and powerful for a normal person. A defensive field is also created that can protect the Witches from the Neuroi's miasma, as well as other physical weaponry, making them humanity's trump card in the war. The franchise's main media focuses on the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, defending the Britannian home islands, in the first season, as a parallel to the Battle of Britain, and struggling to retake an occupied Italian peninsula in the second season as a parallel to the late stages of the Adriatic Campaign.

Turned out to be a horrible disgusting thing.

QZjjlzV9IiM

The comments sum it up well.

Snap_20110318_21h21m37s_004.jpg

I feel like a dick for saying this, but I'm not willing to try it for 20 bucks. From the title and description I was really interested in checking it out, but their implementation of those ideas is so dry. A game that seems to be 80% day of defeat with some melee classes and a tanks doesn't seem like it'll have staying power for an all multiplayer game. It also doesn't look all that fun, unless you like using melee in source games, or dying even more often in DoD.

If someone tries it and has nice things to say about it, I'll think about checking it out.

This looks less polished than a half-life mod, which it started out as.

I just hope it won't be another Stalin Vs Martians, the game so bad they took it off Steam!:blink:

I'm waiting for them to implement/show off single player before I put any money on it, because the multiplayer just isn't enough.

That's actually my main question. Is there going to be a single player component to this at all?

It's described as multiplayer only, although I did see a youtube video of the mod that was single player. Here it is.

Looking at the description it says the allied troops have unique weapons and abilities. I wonder if that's a MNC style special powers thing, or a "this guy can punch and run fast, but this guy has grenades" thing.

Edit: I checked the moddb page for Dino D-Day and according to a writer and artist:

The multiplayer is being released on March 29. The single player, which we still VERY much care about, will follow a little while later. We had to change the order in which we released them, but single player is still very much alive.

So because I've decided to delay purchasing Portal 2 (being that P2, while amazing looking, wouldn't see enough use from me,) I got this instead.

Back eventually (probably sometime this weekend) with a verdict/scoff/hmm.