Jake

GDC 2011: The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade: Hold On To Your B.U.T.T.O.N.

Great thank you. I made the Idle Thumbs podcast a specal one in my podcast download and play program. And totally forgot until the alarm went of this morning (GTM +1)...

That was pretty good. You guys have chemistry. You should consider doing a podcast on a regular basis.

Knows your cruelty no bounds! To give us this bombshell of a conf grenade, and then leave us writhing in scarcity once more.

'T will not do, sirs! 'T will not!

:tup:

(Giant Vin Diesel level smile at the recurrence of Far Cry 2 as a topic of conversation.)

(Giant Vin Diesel level smile at the recurrence of Far Cry 2 as a topic of conversation.)

That Jake initiated the playing of, no less.

Nidhogg/Nidhoggr is a dragon from Norse mythology, which may go to explaining the presence of the dragon-serpent thing that's in the game.

Although right now, searching Google for "Nidhogg" does return the game as the top result.

I just realized! We've all been hoodwinked! This is a cover-up for lack of PAX video!

Pitchforks, getcha pitchforks here!

:mock:

I just realized! We've all been hoodwinked! This is a cover-up for lack of PAX video!

Pitchforks, getcha pitchforks here!

:mock:

I'm sure we'll see that on the ides of March.

Nice podcast! I like the Al Lowe mention. Weird, since I was kind of saying he was the best Sierra designer in the Telltale King's Quest thread recently. The guy must have tried out four different ideas for adventure game design within the same series as well as parodying his past designs in Larry 7.

Anyway, maybe another podcast can happen during the next in person gathering?

This is the best news. Thanks so much, Thumbs!

I love hearing you guys talk about B.U.T.T.O.N., because I love that game.

I don't know if you got to see it in action at the Kill Screen party, but the twist there was that the buttons were installed on cardboard robot suits, which were worn by people (Kunal from babycastles tried to recruit me for robot duty and I wussed out). So, instead of an Xbox controller or a DDR pad, the players had to contend with armored moving targets.

You can likely imagine the resulting mayhem.

To further paint the picture for those who weren't there, the game's visuals were projected onto a wall, the room was dark and free alcohol was in abundance.

And I guess to further further paint the picture, I should include an actual picture.

http://yfrog.com/h27dnsij

I think I shot some video of it, which I'll post in here when I upload it.

I love hearing you guys talk about B.U.T.T.O.N., because I love that game.

I don't know if you got to see it in action at the Kill Screen party, but the twist there was that the buttons were installed on cardboard robot suits, which were worn by people (Kunal from babycastles tried to recruit me for robot duty and I wussed out). So, instead of an Xbox controller or a DDR pad, the players had to contend with armored moving targets.

You can likely imagine the resulting mayhem.

To further paint the picture for those who weren't there, the game's visuals were projected onto a wall, the room was dark and free alcohol was in abundance.

And I guess to further further paint the picture, I should include an actual picture.

http://yfrog.com/h27dnsij

I think I shot some video of it, which I'll post in here when I upload it.

To quote Hermes Conrad, "That just raises further questions!"

Like why haven't I bought this game yet. It sound ridiculously fun.

Aaahh, meaningful discussions intertwined with non sequitur segway.... I really missed this. Thanks guys!

The discussion about the Mechanic/Dynamic/Aesthetic approach really picked my curiosity; any link for the paper mentioned by Chris?

MDA Framework, Mark LeBlanc et al.

Thanks as always for a show of shows, fellows!

Oh my...I've just seen this....and my heart just skipped....heck yeah!! :tup::tup: :D Thanks, guys!

I have not felt this way for a very long time.

:tup: What he said.

Man, listening to that felt in a weird way like coming home. But on the internet. Thanks for that!

MDA Framework, Mark LeBlanc et al.

Thanks as always for a show of shows, fellows!

I completely missed that, thanks!:yep: Is this the same Mark Leblanc that was in the Spector courses?

Also- [email protected] for Chris, Sean & Jake ...- in the show, you've talked very briefly about the "indie fund" session; you've got any more info, comments about it?

You also mentioned, Kickstarter and similar schemes, are there any that are dedicated to games only ? I'm trying to put a bit of my money where my mouth is, but I have yet to find the perfect portal for gaming projects.

I completely missed that, thanks!:yep: Is this the same Mark Leblanc that was in the Spector courses?

Also- [email protected] for Chris, Sean & Jake ...- in the show, you've talked very briefly about the "indie fund" session; you've got any more info, comments about it?

You also mentioned, Kickstarter and similar schemes, are there any that are dedicated to games only ? I'm trying to put a bit of my money where my mouth is, but I have yet to find the perfect portal for gaming projects.

You will spend forever trying to find a perfect portal. The two places to look seem to be just cruising Kickstarter, or cruising the entire rest of the internet (good places to start probably include trying to find indie developers who tweet a lot about other peoples projects, and read TIGSource).