thorn

Iron Brigade

I'm glad it's finally out for PC, but at this rate I'll never turn on my 360 again. They all end up coming out for PC eventually.

I bought it, but I'm in middle of another game, so it will have to wait.

I only really bought it to support double fine, I wasn't expecting anything from it. Seems like a good port to pc and decent play on the usual tower defense formula.

The game throws new stuff at you pretty fast and I don't really have a feel for what I should use, only played it for like 2 hours though. Also it seems there is no way to sell any tower you placed? Since I don't know in advance which enemy type comes from where that makes it a bit annoying. Accidentally placing a shotgun tower in the path of only air enemies makes me feel stupid.

Is it not available in Europe on Steam? I saw the links to the Steam store when it came out but it said it wasn't available in my region :((

Still not showing up for me in Steam search or in the Double Fine catalog page. I'm in Iceland to be precise.

Seems to be available in Finland. Maybe Iron Brigade is a registered trademark in Iceland and they need to rename the game again.

Also it seems there is no way to sell any tower you placed? Since I don't know in advance which enemy type comes from where that makes it a bit annoying. Accidentally placing a shotgun tower in the path of only air enemies makes me feel stupid.

Yeah, but I spend more time shooting stuff than playing the TD part. I tend to stick with the machine gun and/or sniper turret because they can hit both air and ground targets.

Is it not available in Europe on Steam? I saw the links to the Steam store when it came out but it said it wasn't available in my region :((

Still not showing up for me in Steam search or in the Double Fine catalog page. I'm in Iceland to be precise.

It's region locked via GfWL... Valve's not selling it in regions it won't work in currently. :-/

looks like it's available in the Netherlands part of Europe

Hey do you guys think my PC can play Iron Brigade? I don't play games on it, and I've tried demos of Portal, Trine and Magicka which ran at like 7fps BUT I can play TF2 and some indie games fine.

I was just watching this livestream and they mentioned how all the art was built for the Xbox, which is a low-end machine now, so I was like... mmmaaaaaybe? I know nothing about these things, there's no demo. And y'know-- if I buy this now and can't play it I'll be super pissed, cos this is why I never bother.

I can't believe I'm going to say this... but I didn't like Iron Brigade.

Then again, I'm not that surprised, I didn't like Orcs must die or any tower defense game, but it didn't seem stupid to buy a game in a genre I didn't like that much, I don't like RTS, but I liked Brütal Legend, so why wouldn't I like DF's Iron Brigade?

Then again, Brütal Legend had an easy mode for people who never played RTS, Iron Brigade does not.

Iron Brigade is even more complex than average tower defense game, you have to pick up resources manually, and it has way too many types of enemies to handle and like all tower defense games it's not easy to fix your mistakes. In an actual RTS game, you can order your troops to move, but if you placed the turret on the wrong alleyway, you're screwed.

I'm pretty bummed out that after all this wait I just can't get into this game.

I can't believe I'm going to say this... but I didn't like Iron Brigade.

Then again, I'm not that surprised, I didn't like Orcs must die or any tower defense game, but it didn't seem stupid to buy a game in a genre I didn't like that much, I don't like RTS, but I liked Brütal Legend, so why wouldn't I like DF's Iron Brigade?

Then again, Brütal Legend had an easy mode for people who never played RTS, Iron Brigade does not.

Iron Brigade is even more complex than average tower defense game, you have to pick up resources manually, and it has way too many types of enemies to handle and like all tower defense games it's not easy to fix your mistakes. In an actual RTS game, you can order your troops to move, but if you placed the turret on the wrong alleyway, you're screwed.

I'm pretty bummed out that after all this wait I just can't get into this game.

play coop. You can do ZERO building when playing coop and still win missions. I don't think number of enemies scale to number of players. If they do, it's at a rate outstripped by the advantage of having more players.

What scales is the amount of scrap you earn.

Theoretically, playing solo is balanced out by being able to build more turrets, but it doesn't quite work out.

It just ends up being a little too much to manage, and it's needlessly difficult compared to co-op.

Seriously, just play co-op. If you're trying to play Trenched solo, you're doing it wrong.

Well, I suppose I could give it a go in co-op, I assume since it's co-op it's pretty "grief" free?

Well, I suppose I could give it a go in co-op, I assume since it's co-op it's pretty "grief" free?

The only grief I caught was some guy was complaining because (unbeknownst to me) somehow my laptop has a built in mic and it was causing all this random noise, but that was basically my bad. And he did say "thanks" when I finally figured out how to turn it off.

Christ, I am just now playing this with my friend and I am loving it. I don't know what else to say other than we got easily stuck in a game loop last night for 7 hours (work next day of course) where it was like, "Okay after this level we've gotta go." Then beat the level, get new weapons which we marvel at and then get curious how they are going to play out on the next mission or give us a gold on a different mission. Repeat 5 times until it gets way too late.

Don't know what else I can say other than I like that this game is more of a bite sized chunk, whereas I can imagine a full blown AAA game of this nature might get a bit exhausting. Looking at the item drops for the DLC in the survival modes, I'm sure I'll get a pretty lengthy "small" out of it. Probably 5-6 times over the time I spent on Costume Quest.

You may also come to realize why analogue saluting is the greatest gaming innovation of 2011.

Also this, once figuring out that those triggers made you do stupid hand gestures and that the gestures change with your garb, it's never ending moronic fun.

I started playing this, but it seems poorly suited for solo play, and none of my friends own it. Collecting scrap and placing turrets frustrating given how slow you move and the fact that the sprint ability is super cumbersome.

Yeah, I could see how this game would feel nearly broken without a friend. The problem is you can choose to take on 2-3 different roles on a team and the chassis are specifically suited to each role, so trying to do all of it on your own seems stressful or just not fun.

I beat it when it first came out, but I've had the Martian Bear DLC on my Xbox since it came out and still haven't touched it.

The DLC is hard as hell to solo, but it's pretty good. And most of the loot that drops in it makes getting all the achievements from the core game easy.

Yeah my friend and I are still playing and we opted to go back and do gold medals for all levels in the core game and try to get somewhere on survival before tackling the DLC levels again. The first one kicked our ass multiple times.

I'm pretty sure once you get those loot drops, you're really going to need them during the survival waves after beating the Martian Bear levels.