thorn

Iron Brigade

Only for XBLA. :tdown:

But it doesn't matter that much in this case as this is the least interesting of the four Double Fine projects they are working on. I really hope "the fifth" DF game, Ron's game comes to Steam/PC in general. They can't put everything just to the consoles, I refuse to believe that.

N2AK-e2jdkM

But it doesn't matter that much in this case as this is the least interesting of the four DF projects they are working on. I really hope Ron's game comes to Steam/PC in general.

Same, unless there ends up being some kind of DoubleFine bundle when all 4 are done and get dropped on PC, I won't end up playing it

Still, I think it looks like a mix of Mechwarrior and Impossible Creatures (based solely on that video anyway) and could be quite a bit of fun

First reaction: "Double Fine is making a mecha game? What the fuck?"

Still waiting for the second reaction..

Looks surprisingly good graphics wise, though. I hope there is some twist to set it apart from all the other mecha games I haven't played.

Where's the twist? Where's the character? This trailer makes it feel really generic. ;(

I really hope the reason that the characters are all exposed to a hilarious degree when riding the mechs is that it's necessary to humanize them for the storyline.

It's hard for me to see this as anything more than an attempt to capitalize on the Xbox hardcore crowd, but that market seems way too crowded for this to make much of a dent? :erm:

Army guys? Where'd they get the idea to use army guys? Are they taking drugs?

:tup:

First Double Fine makes a game I'll never be able to play because you need to live in a mansion to have enough room to play a Kinect game and now this?:\

I sure hope it won't be as generic as it looks... ;(

It looks hilarious! If you see it as generic, I don't think you watched the same trailer. It is completely over the top ridiculous. :tup:

Yep. I likes it. I'm sure it's going to have more personality than this trailer indicates, but I am surprised at how plain and normal looking the characters are. I would have preferred the cartoony look of Brutal Legend or Team Fortress 2... but I don't want to second guess until I see more.

Best quality (official source):

_PlNR5mbNx0

Edit: Why didn't they make it a Steam Punk game and have everyone in Top Hats? That would be more interesting. Hmm.

But it doesn't matter that much in this case as this is the least interesting of the four Double Fine projects they are working on. I really hope "the fifth" DF game, Ron's game comes to Steam/PC in general. They can't put everything just to the consoles, I refuse to believe that.

Here's what an admin said on the DF forums in response to a similar statement:

• First, a developer has an idea for a game and how much money it will take to make said game.
  • Second, the developer takes this idea to a whole bunch of different publishers in a short amount of time to try to sell said game to these publishers.
  • Third, the first company who gives the developer money to make said game is the publisher. The publisher then decides what platforms the game will be on.
  • Finally, the developer makes the game for the chosen platforms of the publisher.

I really liked the moment when that thing rises from the ground. That was funny!

Yep. I likes it. I'm sure it's going to have more personality than this trailer indicates, but I am surprised at how plain and normal looking the characters are. I would have preferred the cartoony look of Brutal Legend or Team Fortress 2... but I don't want to second guess until I see more.

Best quality (official source):

_PlNR5mbNx0

Edit: Why didn't they make it a Steam Punk game and have everyone in Top Hats? That would be more interesting. Hmm.

Isn't any anachronistic technology what makes something steampunk?:erm:

But still, mechs in 1950's (?) with generic looking characters doesn't sound that appealing.... Double Fine is known for making weird, practically bat shit insane worlds, this sounds so tame compared to their other premises.

I also fear there might be a bit of tower defense in this game, one of the cannons shot turrets.

You know, that is all great and everything but I don't really give a shit. I hardly play games any more. I cannot really justify buying a console right now. I, the dude who ran the Church of Tim for years there, am not their target audience.

If DF sees it as impolite or whatever to show the publishers that there is a large whine from the fanbase, and try to persuade them to output to another venue, fuck them. I don't feel like blindly spamming random publishers to get PC versions of these games made.

I like it. Honestly, as generic as the addition would be, there are so few good mech games that I hope there will be competitive multiplayer as well as coop.

Isn't any anachronistic technology what makes something steampunk?:erm:

No.

But still, mechs in 1950's

Where does it say it's set in the 1950s?

If DF sees it as impolite or whatever to show the publishers that there is a large whine from the fanbase, and try to persuade them to output to another venue, fuck them.

You think the publishers (whose job it is to publish games, including things like figuring out the best market for said games) aren't already aware of this? There's been news articles about it in major gaming sites... Do you think they don't read them?

It sucks that you don't own a console, but you sound [not great] when you moan like that.

I suspect they don't. It looks to me that they run by common wisdom which is at best a couple of years behind the data. And the common wisdom de jour is probably still more anxious about piracy than success stories in the indie domain show is reasonable.

I don't think I should say, OH OK, I GUESS THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME THEN! and just mope in the corner.

All I want to do is give them my money! And it sounds to me like all DF is doing is refusing to (at the very least) try to to make a case for a wider release with the publishers. It blows my mind that they have full creative control and yet claim their hands are tied on this one issue.

Make a spreadsheet outlining the PC successes in the last couple of years, project X profit for further Y investment, put on a suit and pitch the proposal. Just do it. Then tell us you tried.

I just think it's amazing that this one isn't even coming out on PS3. Oh well..

The reason it's not coming for the PS3 is the big fat "Microsoft Games Studios" stamp. Speaking of that, I thought THQ were supposed to publish all 4 of the downloadable titles?

Also speaking of that, Microsoft are supposed to be the ones "owning" the PC platform, not neglecting it. Especially Metal Gear Solid Microsoft Games Studios, aren't they supposed to be the "PC gaming", even within Microsoft?

No.

Some fiction magazines and podcasts would say otherwise, but I was just asking.

Where does it say it's set in the 1950s?
That's why I added a (?) to indicate I wasn't sure, I just made a wild guess.
I suspect they don't. It looks to me that they run by common wisdom which is at best a couple of years behind the data. And the common wisdom de jour is probably still more anxious about piracy than success stories in the indie domain show is reasonable.

I don't think I should say, OH OK, I GUESS THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME THEN! and just mope in the corner.

All I want to do is give them my money! And it sounds to me like all DF is doing is refusing to (at the very least) try to to make a case for a wider release with the publishers. It blows my mind that they have full creative control and yet claim their hands are tied on this one issue.

Make a spreadsheet outlining the PC successes in the last couple of years, project X profit for further Y investment, put on a suit and pitch the proposal. Just do it. Then tell us you tried.

The game market is ridiculous hostile nowadays, there are just too many variables to deal with when publishing a PC game, not only piracy, but compatibility issues, DRM, whether will buy the digital or physical version of the game, from who they will buy the copy....

The 360 is showing it's age, but it still seems to be the favorite amongst gamers and they don't have to deal with most of the issues I just mentioned.

The game industry is getting ridiculously unforgiving, and publishers will always take the least risky route. Publishing games on PC is more risky than on 360, it's as simple as that.

Well, I really am looking forward to this one. I love mechs though, so the idea of a game this colourful gracing the mech universe makes me happy.

The trailer had some fantastic looking aliens, not really bothered about what the protagonist looks like as I'll be looking at my surroundings not the centre figure.

Also, I understand that it sucks that it is not coming to PC etc, but seriously quit fucking whining. There are so many good games on PC for you to enjoy, same for PS3 and Wii.

I don't game on PC as a choice and have to deal with that sacrifice I made. The PS3 and Wii exclusives make me wince, but I know that if I want to play them I just have to save up and buy the console/system.

But seriously, grumbling about an exclusive makes you sound like an elitist arsehole.

Bahbah. Look at how indies are doing. I'm not talking about Minecraft. Super Meat Boy sold more on PC than on the Xbox, while the PC launch was a lot quieter. Amnesia sold a lot (or at least more than the developers hoped). Granted, these are developed by teams that can do things cheaper than studios like DoubleFine, but it seems that DF isn't even trying.

Also, I understand that it sucks that it is not coming to PC etc, but seriously quit fucking whining.

But seriously, grumbling about an exclusive makes you sound like an elitist arsehole.

:violin:

Well played, violin man.:clap:

You're completely right, though. We shouldn't be expressing our disappointment at not being able to play a game that we could potentially love playing.

Bahbah. Look at how indies are doing. I'm not talking about Minecraft. Super Meat Boy sold more on PC than on the Xbox, while the PC launch was a lot quieter. Amnesia sold a lot (or at least more than the developers hoped). Granted, these are developed by teams that can do things cheaper than studios like DoubleFine, but it seems that DF isn't even trying.

Exactly! INDIE games, indie games that are SELF published and distributed digitally.

If you want to reach the masses and go physical you need a publisher and the publisher will be MUCH more cautious.

You're completely right, though. We shouldn't be expressing our disappointment at not being able to play a game that we could potentially love playing.

To be fair, grumbling makes perfect sense, but getting angry is what strikes me as pointless.

Some fiction magazines and podcasts would say otherwise, but I was just asking.

Steampunk is something set around the Victorian era during the height of the industrial revolution. It was sparked by weird facts like Charles Babbage inventing the first computer before there was electricity.

http://www.cbi.umn.edu/about/babbage.html

Anything that doesn't evoke the era pre-electricity and post-steam is not Steampunk.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001