mikemariano

Giant Bomb Live! — Idle Thumbs Reunion!

I think the problem was she didn't realize what people were listening for and treated it as a party night with her friends.

I have no problem with that; it is a party night with her friends. We fans are just lucky enough to listen in, and we'll take what we can get.

Besides, Alexander wasn't exactly blocking any more stimulating conversation. Klepek did. We were promised more Idle Thumbs!

(Hmmm, I got Alexander's gender and nationality wrong. Oops!)

I think the issue is not to record so many super drunk people. That's when it turns into a mess. Klepeck is the G4 guy right? I didn't watch all of the video but I didn't find him that bad.

Alexander was belligerent and obnoxious for what felt like 75% of the podcast, it was literally making me want to stop listening, the only thing that made me keep listening was everyone else having something funny/worthwhile to say.

It really left me with a bad impression, maybe she's a really nice and incisive person on her blog, but to be honest i'm not interested in finding out after that.

:getmecoat

She was awful on the podcast and she's completely full of herself (read her farewell to Kieron Gillen) but she does offer different perspectives from the vast majority of games journalists. I liked her analysis of Metal Gear Solid 4 on that bombcast, but the way she was going about it...

So Giant Bomb posted the whole thing in their Bombcast feed, and Jeff started off by saying it was a bit crowded.

It was mostly alright, and definitely better when less people were talking. But it's disappointing to hear everyone talk about how GDC is being commercialized and then proceed on to take part in it. Personally I want GDC coverage, I want to hear stories from the panels and the floor, not about 10 seconds of embargo'd batman footage. Personally if I heard that my appointment tomorrow was going to be the exact same thing I saw last week, I'd cancel it and attend a panel.

Take a break from the endless PR churn, and tell us something interesting about how games are made.

Admittedly, I don't know much about GDC from a first-hand perspective, but it seems to me that GDC is the same as it's always been, but it has added PR fluff.

Kinda like a chocolate cake. The cake has always been there, but now they're adding an extra topping every year.

But yeah, I agree that all the best stuff from GDC I saw was from watching Twitter and seeing stuff about the panels.

Admittedly, I don't know much about GDC from a first-hand perspective, but it seems to me that GDC is the same as it's always been, but it has added PR fluff.

Kinda like a chocolate cake. The cake has always been there, but now they're adding an extra topping every year.

But yeah, I agree that all the best stuff from GDC I saw was from watching Twitter and seeing stuff about the panels.

Right, but nobody's talking about the cake. And some developers are stuck doing demos all day instead of attending panels.

I just want to hear what discussion on the panels, not latest from the PR drip feed.

Kind of agree, but I'd really like to see videos of them. Is GDC doing some organized casting of video streams into our faces?

Yes, like TED. No idea why they don't make this knowledge public. Would be soooo awesome and helpful!

But yea, I kind of agree with you Forbin.

I think there's something called an Audio pass, that they charge hundreds of dollars for. GDC is expensive :(

Another reason I wish media would cover it instead of the crap they could hear any other week.

Gamasutra seems to be doing a good job.

Kind of agree, but I'd really like to see videos of them. Is GDC doing some organized casting of video streams into our faces?

There's the gdcvault, but it's mostly aimed at studios.

So Giant Bomb posted the whole thing in their Bombcast feed, and Jeff started off by saying it was a bit crowded.

It was mostly alright, and definitely better when less people were talking. But it's disappointing to hear everyone talk about how GDC is being commercialized and then proceed on to take part in it. Personally I want GDC coverage, I want to hear stories from the panels and the floor, not about 10 seconds of embargo'd batman footage. Personally if I heard that my appointment tomorrow was going to be the exact same thing I saw last week, I'd cancel it and attend a panel.

Take a break from the endless PR churn, and tell us something interesting about how games are made.

I wholeheartedly agree. I want more panels. I want more insightful talks about video games, and aspects about video games.

I also really appreciate the use of the phrase "PR Drip." I feel it sends a clear and accurate picture to my brain.