toblix

GTA V

how is that possible on current gen? How?

They're good at what they do, it honestly doesn't look that remarkable, a lot of it is good art direction and talented artists. If you're forgetting, this:

133790_179991495366806_100000678692251_4

Is what a "next gen" game looks like, and a first up next gen game at that, not even a proper built out engine and layout for next gen hardware (Thief is just using a modified UE3).

Regardless, rating of characters as they interest you? For me it's Trevor > Michael > Franklin. Crazy hillbilly hobo power that looks like he's addicted to meth? THAT sounds like the way I play GTA games to begin with. Franklin on the other feels like a generic "hood trying to work his way up" character with no particular originality.

Is what a "next gen" game looks like, and a first up next gen game at that, not even a proper built out engine and layout for next gen hardware (Thief is just using a modified UE3).

Im sceptical about Theif, with all the rumours and how long its been in developement.

I've recently been working at finishing the Ballad of Gay Tony on 360 after having set it aside a few years ago, and have been struck by how dated it looks. It's still impressive in terms of the scope of the city and the art design, and the characters look pretty good, but otherwise it's showing its age. The new trailer for GTA V definitely looks good, but I'm skeptical that a September release for 360 or PS3 is going to be up to the standards of the other games I'll be a few weeks away from buying at that point. I'm very tempted to hold out for an eventual PC release, although I could see my resolve faltering as we get closer to September.

I don't really know how I feel. I'm probably Trev>Frank>Mike, but the thing is I feel like I would love Trevor as a whacky side character in a game, but to actually play as him I might not enjoy as he is by far the least relatable.

Here Rockstar go again, making a fantastic trailer with cool music, but we'll have to wait to see if the game won't be another 'mission-cutscene-mission-cutscene' thing. That structure was already losing credibility in GTA4 and was downright annoying in Red Dead Redemption. The city will be tons of fun to drive around in, but... well, you know how it is.

Yeah i was thinking this this morning, you never really see any gameplay footage of GTA games before they're released, as opposed to games like COD or bioshock or most other games really.

Do you think it'll be playable for the public at E3?

I think the other trailers were a lot more fun than these ones.

I mean the other trailers were really terrific, I could watch the last one right now!

I hope this isn't another 30 hour slog. I love GTA 4 but ultimately enjoyed the tighter arc of the Ballad of Gay Biker Gangs more. I've tried replaying the main game a few times but haven't been able to get very far. There is some really great writing, especially with Brucey, that gets lost in all the bum gravy.

Maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive (probably because I just listened to the This American Life double about gang violence in Harper High School) but does the playable black character really have to be a gang banger? The "it's our heritage" line from his friend is what got me. The implication is surely that violent is something they are, not a means to an end. His trailer makes it seem that Franklin's life could be summarised by a rap lyric.

It does seem to err on the wrong side of tropey. The middle-aged gangster with a therapist is a huge cliché too, but also a fun sort of thing. A black gang-banger doesn't seem quite as exciting.

No the classic character motive in GTA is that they're tryina get OUT of the gang violence. You'll be wrapped up in all the turf-war shit, but your character is the one guy who isn't into it.

Anyway I bet this GTA story is 100% a GTA story. It'll be a bunch of gross, badass guys shouting n swearing about guns n drugs, and riding Faggio mopeds, and chat radio voices will deliver sick burns to a parody of Justin Bieber or whatever.

I'm gonna play it n I'll have fun, it'll be a laugh, but I'm not expecting a big amazing leap forward.

bum gravy.

bum gravy.

bum gravy.

bum gravy.

Maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive (probably because I just listened to the This American Life double about gang violence in Harper High School) but does the playable black character really have to be a gang banger? The "it's our heritage" line from his friend is what got me. The implication is surely that violent is something they are, not a means to an end. His trailer makes it seem that Franklin's life could be summarised by a rap lyric.

I hear you but I think that the point is that Franklin is the smart one and the guy who says "it's our heritage" is his foolish friend. Judging on the way he interacts with Michael in other trailers, I imagine most of his story is about what he does AFTER he graduates from gang-banging into the-thing-white-people-do-which-is-still-essentially-gang-banging-but-they-wear-suits-sometimes. Still pretty well worn territory, but done the right way it could be good.

I'm mostly excited about returning to San Andreas in shimmering HD. Did GTA IV keep the same basic lay-out of Liberty City, or did they completely change it? I'd love to already know my way around the city the second I'm dropped into it.

Completely changed. Even the islands had different names. Sorry to burst your bubble. I would say it's likely that the names Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas will return, but everything else is likely gone.

The only real similarity between the GTA3 and GTA4 Liberty City was that both had three boroughs. Everything else was quite different and also on a completely different scale (I think you could fit the entirety of GTA3's Liberty City into just one of the GTA4 Liberty City boroughs). Also GTA4 was a bit more forward with its aping of New York.

It might be that GTA3 was still so much about experimenting with the world that they had to refine it for GTA4. When San Andreas came out, Rockstar probably knew a lot better where they were going with it, so this time stuff might not change as much. Just wild thoughts, though, nothing I know.

Oh man, I spent several hours in San Andreas ramping my BMX off of the top of the mountain and deploying my parachute. For some reason that stands out as the strongest memory of that game.

As long as I get to ride a BMX off a cliff, I'll be happy.

Indeed! That was one of the best things in that game.

If there's not some kind of country-redneck radio station then someone screwed up big-time.

Is it just me, or do these three trailers just read as "Here are the three types of players we hope to target: middle-aged guys who feel smothered by real life, 'urban' youth, and trolls"?

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure it'll be a good game. But I'm pretty much a Saint's Row fan for life, so maybe I'm a little biased.

Completely changed. Even the islands had different names. Sorry to burst your bubble. I would say it's likely that the names Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas will return, but everything else is likely gone.

Nope, it's just Los Santos this time, not even other cities. But it's huge, like approaching proper LA metaphor huge. Which is fine, because depending on what you count as a contiguous "city" LA is the largest city on earth several times over in terms of square area.

I also assume that since there's a country redneck type area, with country redneck type characters, and a country redneck type song playing over the trailer, there will indeed be a radio station as such.

Is it just me, or do these three trailers just read as "Here are the three types of players we hope to target: middle-aged guys who feel smothered by real life, 'urban' youth, and trolls"?

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure it'll be a good game. But I'm pretty much a Saint's Row fan for life, so maybe I'm a little biased.

...oh, duh, now I feel like an idiot for not realising this.

"We couldn't make a Nico Bellic that was turning his life around while also wrecking shit in a helicopter, so we split him into Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup."

Which is fine, because depending on what you count as a contiguous "city" LA is the largest city on earth several times over in terms of square area.

This isn't true, but even so how big the city is isn't as important how interesting it is. I consider San Andreas my least favorite of the GTA games because while it was bigger than 3 and Vice City I found it to just have a lot more area that didn't have anything in it and I constantly had to drive through big empty areas to get from one mission to another. I still liked the game, but if the option is to have a huge map that just means more time driving or a normal map that is completely full of stuff to do then I'd choose the second. Obviously if it's a huge map that is entirely filled with stuff that's better yet.

Honestly, the bigger the map is + the less stuff going on = the more it actually feels like LA. Rockstar is the best at capturing the feeling of American cities (an episode of Idle Thumbs talked about this) and part of capturing LA/California in general is to make it feel soulless, like you could cut 90% of it out and lose absolutely nothing except sprawl.

This isn't true, but even so how big the city is isn't as important how interesting it is. I consider San Andreas my least favorite of the GTA games because while it was bigger than 3 and Vice City I found it to just have a lot more area that didn't have anything in it and I constantly had to drive through big empty areas to get from one mission to another. I still liked the game, but if the option is to have a huge map that just means more time driving or a normal map that is completely full of stuff to do then I'd choose the second. Obviously if it's a huge map that is entirely filled with stuff that's better yet.

Largest contiguous section of city for LA is over a hundred and forty miles long end to end. I've measured every single major candidate (I was bored) LA wins hands down.

But yeah I thought Vice City was better than San Andreas, lots of empty space. But then, Red Dead Redemption was huge and I enjoyed most of that (parts of Mexico aside) and I even enjoyed how big it was, I think that created part of the appeal. Not that I can vouch for GTA V, but hopefully they've done a better job than SA.

Red Dead Redemption was enormous, but the feeling of loneliness and survival in a jackal-infested prairy was part of the appeal. In contrast, the enormous sprawl in LA Noire made me feel hollow and unsatisfied. Contrast that to the excellent, constrained small size of Arkham City, that was bursting with things to on a relatively small scrap of land.