toblix

GTA V

One of Rockstars strengths is their writing and voice acting.

I think they're getting better at story telling and I have no reason to doubt them in this venture. Both GTA 4 DLC packages were interesting for their own way. They don't just peddle in schlocky imitation. They've become better writers because they take the tropes that we know, play in to them, but also subvert them.

Lost and the Damned was very interesting because of how they were definitely interested in exploring shades of the American dream and how it dies in America...along with directly commenting on the economic downturn. They're smart. I trust them.

I think they're getting better at story telling and I have no reason to doubt them in this venture. Both GTA 4 DLC packages were interesting for their own way. They don't just peddle in schlocky imitation. They've become better writers because they take the tropes that we know, play in to them, but also subvert them.

Lost and the Damned was very interesting because of how they were definitely interested in exploring shades of the American dream and how it dies in America...along with directly commenting on the economic downturn. They're smart. I trust them.

While I think storytelling is one of their strengths, building a world and game that matches it isn't. I think Chris summed it up well when talking about Max Payne 3. Like how throughout that game Max is talking about how much of a loser he is and how he fucks everything up. Then ten seconds later he's driving a speed boat off a ramp, diving out of the boat, wasting like 10 guys while diving through the air before comfortably landing on someone else's boat.

It was the same with GTA4 where every character wanted to 'get out of the game'. The Ballad of Gay Tony was a great example of this, the protagonist has just gotten out of jail, doesn't want to get involved in crime anymore, kills 50 cops in first mission. Even Niko's story in GTA4 was strange for its serious story set in a world filled with adverts for drinks called Sprunk while chat radio hosts just made dick jokes.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed GTA4, and I'll probably enjoy GTA5. But, 4 felt incredibly conflicted. I really hope they can get everything focused in one direction for GTA5. Personally, judging from the trailer alone, it's not what I want out of a GTA game anymore. It looks goofy and over the top, which they've had a great knack for in the past, but Saints Row 3 serves those needs now and GTA4 was more interesting for it's more serious storytelling tones.

I respectfully disagree. I think they CAN hit some interesting things from time to time, but often they just go for the easiest target, and then make a mess of it. They're great at writing characters, that's true, but storytelling? They've become so predictable now, and they're never satisfying.

Can't stop thinking about recreating the end credits sequence to Buckaroo Banzai in GTA V's Vespucci Canals.

Thanks, Podcast Film Reference Question thread.

so... it's more or less the same game, just different textures and models? lame

I bet they haven't even changed what the letters "G," "T," and "A" stand for in the title. Rockstar shitting out another no-effort game I see. I bet they just took their script for GTA IV, hit "Ctrl + F," replaced all instances of "Liberty City" with "Los Angeles," then they did it again and replaced "Los Angeles" with "Los Santos."

so... it's more or less the same game, just different textures and models? lame

I don't really see how you're coming to this conclusion. A guy intentionally goes out of his way to recreate screen shots using GTA 4 on a PC.

You're effectively saying GTA 4 is the same as GTA 3, just a new engine, better graphics, and a bigger city. You know. The same.

lol, yes I was messing around.

Btw, the screenshot comparison shows clearly that they dropped the shit-brown color got GTAv5. Everybody knows shiy-brown spells realism.

Rockstar has said they're "open" to the possibility of a PC version. I personally thank my annoying tweets to @Rockstargames for this. http://kotaku.com/5962019/you-might-get-grand-theft-auto-v-on-pc-and-wii-u

But if given the choice I'd definitely buy it on the PC first and foremost. The ridiculous mods, and huge amount of them, for GTA4 alone would convince me of this wisdom. Not too mention the ability to do a "let's play". GTA 4 was, before the "let's plays", basically the progenitor of such videos with all it's ridiculous youtube stunt vids and such. (Insofar as I can tell, credit to Giantbomb for "let's play" as well)

I wonder if Rockstar realizes that their PC sales would probably be much more impressive if they bothered with simultaneous releases.

Ugh it's so frustrating.

GTA 4 was, before the "let's plays", basically the progenitor of such videos with all it's ridiculous youtube stunt vids and such. (Insofar as I can tell, credit to Giantbomb for "let's play" as well)

Doesn't GTA4 have built in YT uploading? Even on consoles? Although, I guess that's not a "let's play" thing, that's a "watch this cool stunt I recorded in-game" thing.

Thought it did. I remember hearing about it before the PC version came out, but it must've been a preview.

So... is it just me, or does the fact that the word "five" is emblazoned across the roman numeral for five in the logo bother anybody else? I feel like I'm not usually this pedantic but I can't get past it. Grand Theft Auto Five... Five.

You mean this logo?

Courtesy of www.omniglot.com the online encyclopedia of writing systems & languages.

post-27841-0-47082500-1353685318_thumb.jpg

no no no... you got it wrong, it's not a roman numeral, it's just a v, so: GTAv5, aka GTA version 5

It symbolises the fifth wheel. The mystery of the games plot is which of the three characters is it?

That's just made me think of something. What will happen when you die?

I guess you will switch to one of the other characters, and the 'dead' characters won't be available to you for half an hour whilst he heals up in hospital.

How will retaking failed mission work if you just switch to another character and time continues moving forward. :/