toblix

GTA V

Yeah I don't want to get on the hype train too hard but I really did enjoy that trailer. Had a lot of the weird characters doing silly dialogue thing that is my favourite part of GTA games.

(Not to open this old can of bees again, but I too find it a bit stupid that it's again three blokes doing bloke-stuff. With the three-people thing they must have thought about including a woman, but they decided otherwise. Mh! [i hope for the big reveal - a woman - in the 3rd trailer.])

The trailer looks great. As a sandbox it probably will be a fantastic game. I have the feeling though that I can't get into the whole criminals and their violent ways - Rockstar Style - shtick anymore. As kind of well written as it will most probably be, I doubt they will manage to make it really interesting or fresh. (I don't know, it's like if after Reservoir Dogs Tarantino just would have bothered to make sequels in different towns and times - mh, okay, it still is and wants to be GTA, so I guess it's a stupid analogy. What? Rambling? Who?)

Rockstar doesn't just make GTA games, and Tarantino does go back to the Reservoir Dogs well every once in a while. I'm disappointed that it's three men doing men things again but aside from that I suspect I'll enjoy the whole thing. The GTA games have always had wonderful cardboard cutout characters, by which I mean their characterization is pretty amazing even if what's really there isn't too deep. At least when they're being funny. The dramatic stuff always leaves me feeling flat. But Elizabeta Torres, Manny Escuela, Brucie Kibbutz... it's hard to stop laughing when they show up. The GTA games have always struck me as a sort of outsider's view of America, with all the ridiculous stuff turned up to 11 and with stereotypes and so on at full blast. I appreciate what Saint's Row tries to do by making everything ridiculous, but I find it much less interesting than Rockstar's slightly more focused parody of everything that anybody has ever thought America is.

Yea my first reaction to the GameInformer cover, like I said, was that it's 3 guys who tried to get out, but they kept pullin me back in etc.

But thinking about it: That's Grand Theft Auto. They made Red Dead Redemption and they made Bully and fucking Table Tennis- if you're waiting for the GTA that's not about some dude with a dark past who wants to settle down but ultimately drives speed-boats through explosions: Then check out LA Noire. Props to em for keeping their big-city crime game about big cities and criminals, cos it waves in and out of being a city sim sometimes.

Unless you're givin em flak about not playing as a woman, in which case that's an arbitrary distinction and get over it, y'know?

Although I stand by how goofy the "PICK YOUR RING, RUSTY BROWN RING DONUTS!" billboard looks.

But anyway that was a sick trailer.

How is gender an arbitrary decision? There may be good reasons to have the protagonist be a male, but it's not a frivolous concern that these games rarely if ever have positive and deep female characters.

Cos this'd still be an open-world crime game that's based on old movies and feels like Max Payne whether you play as a man OR woman. It's not really a big decider.

Being tired of the heist scenes n gang wars stuff is fair enough though, cos that's the whole game.

How is gender an arbitrary decision? There may be good reasons to have the protagonist be a male, but it's not a frivolous concern that these games rarely if ever have positive and deep female characters.

Well, they don't have positive and deep male characters either, and some of the female characters are just fine (Elizabeta is maybe my favorite character from any GTA game). It would just be nice to, you know, play as them once in a while, because then they'd get front and center in the story instead of always being relegated to the sidelines as people you drive around or see in cutscenes.

Believe it or not, I_smell, I actually play the GTA games for more than dicking around. I really enjoy the characters and the acting in the games. The radio station DJs, the ridiculous antics... I spend less time running around murdering people than I do playing the missions for real and advancing the story. That's why I want some women as playable characters. It's not an arbitrary distinction for me because I don't play the game as Free-Roaming Asshole Simulator 2000. I play it because I find Brucie hilarious.

The fact that Mass Effect feels like a noticeably different narrative when you play it as femshep, even though your character is delivering saying the EXACT SAME LINES, gives me the impression that gender makes a difference regardless of the subject matter.

Well they've not got a story of a retired woman bank-robber IN them. That's not a deficiency, that's just cos they're not interested in it. It's not an UPGRADE to have it be about a woman, it's just that that's not what they're doing.

Relax, the first episode dlc will have a female protagonist...

...and trains

Being omniscient does have its perks

Actually I just remembered the whole day I spent driving a train in San Andreas and now I realise why you're saying trains are such a big deal.

TRAINS!

I fucking called it OOOOSH!!!

ib1u8irTa7psYu.gif

Sadly, judging by the physics acumen this is a scripted even :wacko:

I wanted this to be next gen so we could just do this whenever damn it! I'm imagining some properly crazy game where you can smash trains together, re-recreate the Uncharted 3 ship sinking at will, and be a world renowned terrorist by burning down skyscrapers using only a fire simulation. Ohwell, until then GTA V definitely looks good; even if the bastards are waiting forever for a PC port again!

It's clearly scripted. It obvious by the fact that the damage on the train is the same for every crash. Even the jump of the guy of the train is the same. It's way too perfect.

It's clearly scripted. It obvious by the fact that the damage on the train is the same for every crash. Even the jump of the guy of the train is the same. It's way too perfect.

I know right? And why does the guy keep doing the same thing over and over. Just bizarre :o

Guys don't worry about the PC port, it's coming.

I looked up the release date of Skeletons by Stevie Wonder, the iTune they used for this trailer (and a pretty neat Grim Fandango reference), and it was first released on July 10, 1987. That means the PC game is out on July 10, 2013. Also there are some other numbers in the trailer, on the license plates and such, and you can do sums with them to make them add up to 7 or 10.

SPECULATION

Are you sure the train crash is scripted/in a cutscene because of the physics? Don't we see cars deform in the trailer at about 0:55? And since trains are clearly in the game, not just in cutscenes (heck, they're in the trailer multiple times) and since cars clearly deform and since trains clearly deform in some sense, why think that they can't do it in real time ingame?

I'd actually suggest it might not be. Look at the shitty sudden movement on the carriage behind the train on the right. It's the kind of thing that happens with vidjagame physics all the time but is super easy to fix in a cutscene if you're animating it manually.

Certainly there is no reason they couldn't do it if they wanted, and they seem like the kind of devs who would totally want to