toblix

GTA V

Wait. Isn't that GTAV's story?

Isn't that every GTA story? Hence why they're shit? Which I was under the impression we discussed some months ago?

There's actually some great character stuff in gay tony, it just happens to also be ridiculous at the same time. That said while I liked 4, I actually liked both the episodes more. I do hope we get multiple protagonists, the shorter story arcs of the episodes were more appealing to me.

Great character stuff isn't mutually exclusive to ridiculous stuff! It's also not synonymous with super serious.

Isn't that every GTA story? Hence why they're shit? Which I was under the impression we discussed some months ago?

I don't remember that being Vice City's story - I thought it was more along the lines of dude wanting to make it big in the crime world - but it has been years since I played it. I also don't really care enough, I guess.

I vastly prefer GTA when it's being ridiculous. I like just having the world and being able to do fucking whatever. I guess I should just buy Saint's Row 3, but San Andreas was such a perfect achievement of that for the time that I really want to stick with Rockstar and see if they can do it again. Of course, it won't be that. Still, I can dream.

At least every GTA starting with San Andreas (and somewhat applies to the LC episodes as well). I don't even remember what the GTA3 story was about.

You got set up by your girlfriend and the Columbian gang. You bust out of a prison convoy and work your way up to shooting her and her gang members out of a helicopter with a rocket launcher on top of the city's dam. Pretty simple, but a lot of the side characters were very entertaining and had more substance than they deserved to have at that point in gaming history.

The one thing I really hope they do with this game is more dynamic missions, switching cars being allowed, being able to approach missions how you want, taking notes from Far Cry 2. This has always been my problem with GTA.

Actually, you know what. For years I hoped for Grand Theft Horse and it finally happened in the form of RDR, and was good.

And what I'd like to see next done as a GTA style open world (or GTA style world mixed with deeper RPG elements)? 17th century Europe. Or actually anything between renaissance and the industrial revolution. I think that period is not really explored in games -- it's usually either middle ages or modern times. So I hope after GTA V we will see Grand Don Quixote! Or at least Grand Three Musketeers. Yeah, lets drop the Theft part.

Yeah, you know I think the Grand Theft Auto (i.e. crime) part of GTA is possibly pulling the games in a direction they don't need to. I play them because they're fun, not because I get to commit crimes in a gangland setting.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

. So I hope after GTA V we will see Grand Don Quixote! Or at least Grand Three Musketeers. Yeah, lets drop the Theft part.

Yeah probably won't happen, the Housers don't like fantasy and think anything without guns is considered fantasy.

But I agree, I'd love to see actual period games with a budget(RDR is a good example, Asscreed is a good example gone bad, so yeah... different historical periods within a stronger realm of plausibility and maybe willing to teach me something.)

Assassin's Creed is the only property interested in exploring history outside of the staples of the middle ages or the World Wars. I'm still hoping fiercely that the next jump in the Assassin's Creed universe will be towards the Napoleonic era, ranging from Paris to Moscow.

Assassin's Creed is the only property interested in exploring history outside of the staples of the middle ages or the World Wars. I'm still hoping fiercely that the next jump in the Assassin's Creed universe will be towards the Napoleonic era, ranging from Paris to Moscow.

Im still hoping they drop everything about the narrative and just make it a period game.

I actually enjoyed the story in Asscreed 1. Haven't played any sequels. I guess I just don't... care enough to be upset about its flaws. It's fun. That's all I care about.

Oooh, Moscow would be awesome. Yes, please.

I would also enjoy a Feudal Japan Asscreed game. Or just... Asia in general. Essentially, I want a high-budget game that takes place in Asia that feels alive that isn't made by Asians*. Rockstar would be nice, if they'd ever branch outside the Guns, but Ubisoft has proven they can make open-world period pieces, so that's cool, too.

* Does that make me racist? DD:

Before Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood came out, there were all those rumors about an Assassin's Creed game set during the French Revolution, which always sounded awesome to me.

Before Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood came out, there were all those rumors about an Assassin's Creed game set during the French Revolution, which always sounded awesome to me.

This sounds a lot like what uh. . .oh damn, what's the game that Bethesda/Arkane are putting out? Deus Ex Renaissance? Something. Looking forward to that.

Somehow I get the idea that somebody thinks "quantity = quality".

Playing Sleeping Dogs, I started thinking about how much Rockstar are going to change the formula for GTA V. This is almost a genre at this point, right? If you compare Sleeping Dogs and GTA IV, they're almost completely similar, down to some very key details. Add a bit of comedy, and Sleeping Dogs is basically GTA Hong Kong, right?

As far as I know, the GTA games haven't changed much since they turned 3D; mostly they're better looking and more detailed. All the major, and most of the minor, game mechanics have been left relatively unchanged for years. Being at the end of the console cycle, it'll definitely look better than GTA IV; probably on par with Sleeping Dogs – is it likely they'll do much with the formula this time around, to separate it from Saint's Row, Sleeping Dogs and Mafia, or are they just going to make another one, only bigger and better?

Also, I wonder if the multiplayer will be better, and if it'll lead to another wave of awesome thumb multiplayer sessions.

they just going to make another one, only bigger and better

Probably this.

Like you say, Toblix, it's basically become a genre now. I think there's not much wrong in doing that better. But "better" doesn't mean "bigger". I've been saying this for years, but I still think it's true: Get a decent scriptwriter in, and the GTA "genre" could be absolutely superb.

Although, what do I know? Apparently GTAIV is better than Hamlet...

hamlet.jpg