toblix

GTA V

Some speculation about the next GTA. If they're going to announce it soon, which could make sense with LA Noire coming out, when would they most likely do it? Aren't announcements usually made at game conventions nowadays?

This feels like a weird idea to me, because of LA Noire coming out soon. Why would they want to distract attention from that and its possible DLC/expansions? It seemed like RDR was well timed because GTAIV had pretty much just burned out by the time it hit, and LA Noire might be about ready to take the reins (pardon the pun) so why mess with that?

These are genuine questions, if anyone has any information/considered opinions on why it might be a good idea.

Those domain names seem very 'GTA'-ish indeed, but I'm with Gwardinen in that I don't think Take 2 would Take Chances with a costly, big figures game like LA Noire. They're probably registering for their GTA5 campaign down the line, but I wouldn't expect it to start before LA Noire's release. They'd be fools for Taking away steam from the Noire hype.

Sorry for being unclear. Obviously they wouldn't want to take the wind out of LAN's (I just coined that initialism) promotional sails, but with release closing in, they're bound to start preparing their promotional strategy for whatever's next. Now, that could well be the next GTA, couldn't it? Wouldn't it make sense for them to mention their next project some time this year?

edit: Also, didn't they sort of announce LAN before they were done with TLaD and BoGT?

Fair enough, they might just be beginning a long, long promotional run-up then. Who knows, a GTAV announcement might even bring more attention to LAN (good but confusing acronym), though it's already near the top of my most wanted list. Facial acting based lie detection? Yes please.

I just. . .man, I really don't care about GTA by this point.

While GTA 4 was a spectacular piece of. . .nothing really. The story (and I am by no means the first person to say this) was,

"But I'm a good man," protested Niko Bellic as he gunned downed the patrons of a coffee shop.

Over and over. I haven't finished it! Maybe it redeems itself. I really have no desire to know. Nor have I played the "Stories" So may GTA 4 experience may be lacking, but by this point, I just feel like GTA is so very, very played out.

Am I a bad person?

It doesn't redeem itself narrative-wise. I still loved the game for it's driving.

The dialogue and plot were embarrassing.

I just. . .man, I really don't care about GTA by this point.

While GTA 4 was a spectacular piece of. . .nothing really. The story (and I am by no means the first person to say this) was,

"But I'm a good man," protested Niko Bellic as he gunned downed the patrons of a coffee shop.

Over and over. I haven't finished it! Maybe it redeems itself. I really have no desire to know. Nor have I played the "Stories" So may GTA 4 experience may be lacking, but by this point, I just feel like GTA is so very, very played out.

Am I a bad person?

You're not a bad person. And I agree completely. I still liked the game though, and I may even like the next one, but I don't really care any more if it exists or not.

If you come to Grand Theft Auto for story you're going to be disappointed.

It's about the immersive open world... and blowing shit up.

On the GTA V topic, I read a while back that the guy who writes the stories for these games had a 1000 page script written for GTA V when IV came out.

Yeah I'm with Orvidos on this one. If they want to make a game with a good guy character then they need to commit.

I didn't mind San Andreas or Vice City and how they dealt with plot. CJ was a clear example of a character from a movie like Juice, and he managed to keep his code about drugs and protecting the neighbourhood, while doing all sorts of stuff. Some of the far out stuff was weird (like the airport spy stuff), but all his dealings in his neighbourhood with those that effected it were consistent. Tommy Vercetti (I think that was his name, it's been a while) was a goodfella criminal, looking to get ahead. The Scarface stuff that happens late game isn't completely out of his character.

Niko is introduced with this very specific goal, and he seems to be distracted from it far too much. I did like the stuff that dealt with a new immigrant's view on the American dream. But then Rockstar has to make you experience all of their varied characters, and even the ones Niko finds reprehensible are still dealt with on the regular. For a man with such a serious goal, you'd figure he'd get to the point.

It's not even that I hate all the interactions, it just tends to drag, and undercuts the type of character they're trying to sell. I thought the gameplay wasn't that great either, so I kinda just stopped. IMO Saint's Row controlled nicer, and Just Cause 2 is way more fun for just basic carnage.

Maybe Rockstar needs to start dividing their single player campaigns over several characters. Deliver a focused driven narrative over a few hours from different perspectives. Since they're not doing the "buy the entire city" stuff they did in Vice City and San Andreas, it doesn't need that long progression. Then again Red Dead was the same formula and I haven't heard that many complaints.

Yeah bring it on Rockstar, I haven't even played GTAIV yet that much.:tmeh:

Edited by Kolzig

Maybe it's not GTAV but GTAIV:2

You know, just like they did with GTAIIIVC and GTAIIISA

Maybe it's not GTAV but GTAIV:2

You know, just like they did with GTAIIIVC and GTAIIISA

That's more what I'd expected to happen, but it might be that that is deemed unnecessary now that we can have whole stories told in DLC, à la Lost & the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony.

Im really hoping they just continue Niko's story since he was such a strong character.

Im curious as to what studio is making it since I thought leads was working on agent and probably too wrapped up in that to do an actual gta.

Im really hoping they just continue Niko's story since he was such a strong character.

No chance after what happened, but I agree, I thought he was a strong character.

Two superficially opposing thoughts entered my mind when I read your post, Murdoc.

First: Hasn't Nico had enough time on GTA? It's a huge game, and there's a lot of Nico in it. I tend to always err on the side of wanting something new, rather than wanting something that I've already had.

Second: Was Nico really that great a character? OK, yes he was. But his story arc in GTAIV is not at all that great. So much stuff is just happening to him without actually saying something about him, or changing him. He's pretty much the same guy at the end as he was when he first stepped off the boat. He's a great archetype to play with, but his character has zero development. That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

Nico himself may have been a great character. What the story forced him to do (as Rodi pointed out), degraded the characters, I guess 'self' to such a point that he might as well have been a puppet on a stick. . .with a shotgun.

I doubt they could avoid doing that again, and as such, if I were to play GTA V, I would definitely not want Nico "I'm a good man!" Bellic back.

I guess I was really drawn to the american dream, immigrant aspect of Nicos character; rather than the redemption part of it.

Personally thought it was that aspect alone that rose GTA 4 above the previous ones, so that might be what I am so fixated on.

I guess I was really drawn to the american dream, immigrant aspect of Nicos character; rather than the redemption part of it.

It was more like unredemption, which isn't even a word, which proves that the story was utter shit. :( Actually, I liked Nico's character also in the very beginning of the game, and occasionally it seemed to reappear, if you forgot all the mass murdering that he was oh so eager-while-not-seeming-eager to do.

The story was good, as were the characters. The fact that you become a murdering bastard in the missions themselves is a problem with the game itself. I'd prefer to have a well-rounded character, than having a homicidal maniac just so he stayed "in character" during missions.

I don't think I'll play another GTA unless the narrative changes how failure is addressed; eg story continues down an alternate path should I fail a mission, and not die in the process. Otherwise, the gameplay hasn't changed enough since 3 that I still find it fun to take on a new character doing more or less the same things. That the stories are interesting, but severely at odds with themselves at times doesn't help.